AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

What exactly would you have West Coast do? Christian Petracca ain't coming here and if we gave up pick 1 for a mature star (eg Chad Warner) we'd be accused of sabotaging our own rebuild.

Let me guess - 'hey gaiz, split pick 1 for North's 15, 17 and 18 so you have loads of first rounders to help speed up the rebuild'
Nah, just pointing out that it's too early to claim WCE are flush with quality. There's still a few lean years ahead for sure.

S*** teams can usually only add top shelf talent through the draft, don't ditch your number 1 pick for "quantity".

Nah, just pointing out that it's too early to claim WCE are flush with quality. There's still a few lean years ahead for sure.

S*** teams can usually only add top shelf talent through the draft, don't ditch your number 1 pick for "quantity".

I agree, but it's also a bit silly to claim there's nothing there or that the rebuild only started this year. Three Rising Star nominations this year and plenty of our non first round picks have shown they belong.

Picking up first 22 players for junk draft picks is exactly what we should be doing. Some won't work out - like SPS - but some do - like Jayden Hunt. No one can reasonably expect immediate results but at the same time no one can reasonably think our rebuild is already a failure.

between pessimism and optomism there is reality.
The pessimist's will say our list is rubbish due to our performances this year.
The optomists will say that given a good run with injury and improvement from our younger players we should be a lot better.
The reality is that we need to improve a long way to catch up and be be competitive.
You have to look to the future and to have three rising stars this year give me hope for the future and hopefully some more new blood to add to it.

between pessimism and optomism there is reality.
The pessimist's will say our list is rubbish due to our performances this year.
The optomists will say that given a good run with injury and improvement from our younger players we should be a lot better.
The reality is that we need to improve a long way to catch up and be be competitive.
You have to look to the future and to have three rising stars this year give me hope for the future and hopefully some more new blood to add to it.
It’s never as good or bad as it appears

I agree, but it's also a bit silly to claim there's nothing there or that the rebuild only started this year. Three Rising Star nominations this year and plenty of our non first round picks have shown they belong.

Picking up first 22 players for junk draft picks is exactly what we should be doing. Some won't work out - like SPS - but some do - like Jayden Hunt. No one can reasonably expect immediate results but at the same time no one can reasonably think our rebuild is already a failure.

The rebuild started last year

1. Harley Reid (mid/forward)
30. Archer Reid (KPF/ruck)
38. Clay Hall (inside mid)
49. Harvey Johnston (outside mid/forward flanker)

Interesting selections.
With no key defenders or small forward selected there is less variety in our picks, however, we have prioritised the midfield, which is good.
H Reid and Hall should be pushing for early selection in the 22 next year.
A Reid is obviously going to be more of a project for several years. His good is very good, however, he fluctuates greatly between games.

1. Harley Reid (mid/forward)
30. Archer Reid (KPF/ruck)
38. Clay Hall (inside mid)
49. Harvey Johnston (outside mid/forward flanker)

Interesting selections.
With no key defenders or small forward selected there is less variety in our picks, however, we have prioritised the midfield, which is good.
H Reid and Hall should be pushing for early selection in the 22 next year.
A Reid is obviously going to be more of a project for several years. His good is very good, however, he fluctuates greatly between games.
Watched some video on A.Reid and the thing that stood out to me was his kicking...its very poor.

It started this season but last draft

It certainly didnt start in the 2021 draft when we went in with pick 14 as our first pick

Arguably it did

We had pick 12 but split it for a 2 spot downgrade and an extra second rounder in 2022

Watched some video on A.Reid and the thing that stood out to me was his kicking...its very poor.
At 1st I thought the same as well. It looked like he was kicking the ball higher off his ankle causing the ball to lob instead of having a low penetration. He does this with his short kicks and I think this is because he's being overly cautious with his short passing.

It would be hard having his height and dropping the ball correctly onto his boot. Harder still kicking daisy cutters.

He was still kicking goals from just outside of 50 but no bombs. 55m is about his maximum distance which is a pass. I wouldn't have any confidence in him making the distance from the edge of the square though.

Perhaps when he puts on a bit of weight and strength he might gain another 5 to 10m.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

What we miss out by not being in Melbourne:

1700636856193.png

1700636930441.png
1700637033700.png

1700637535301.png

1700637130433.png

1700637771060.png

Vic's latest picture of Harley:

1700637319286.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to forget that the Eagles have been smashed by injuries in the last couple of years, esp last season when they couldn't even fill numbers for their WAFL reserves team.
It's hard to get an truly accurate assessment of their list and young player capabilities when many have been thrown to the Wolves before they were ready due to a really unfortunate run of injuries.

Getting Don Pyke back to the club is a huge coup for the Eagles,.

I am not sure if they will make an coaching succession plan per se but publicly state that Simpson will see out his contract at the end of 2025 and a new coach in place for 2026.

Mind you another horrible season like 2023 next year and it's obviously curtains for Simmo

Saved us from ourselves.
Its interesting as ogilvie (crows) was clear he rated Curtin as a top 5 prospect in any draft thats how high he saw him. Extrapolating it it makes sense that we overlooked a chance to get a likely top 5 pick next year and used pick 8 after trading with GWS.

Will the player WCE get next year with their f1 be better than Curtin?

Its interesting as ogilvie (crows) was clear he rated Curtin as a top 5 prospect in any draft thats how high he saw him. Extrapolating it it makes sense that we overlooked a chance to get a likely top 5 pick next year and used pick 8 after trading with GWS.

Will the player WCE get next year with their f1 be better than Curtin?

WC obviously thought no aswell, that's why they offered it

GWS rated Leake (plus 12 months development) better than anything available next year too

So teams of

Best 22

FB: Cole, Barass, Hough
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Yeo
C: Sheed, Kelly, Hewett
HF: Cripps, Darling, Ryan
FF: Williams, O.Allen, Long
C: Flynn, Ginbey, Reid
I/C: Brockman, Hunt, J.Jones, Petrucelle

I think the backlines and forward lines are strong. Midfield young but has strong bodies and bench has a few playerrs who may be easily pushed out. Id expect Burgiel, Maric, Hall, Culley to push and claim some of those spots while Waterman, Gaff, Witherden provide some experienced backup

Best 22 u25

FB: Hough, Bazzo, Burgiel
HB: J.Jones, Edwards, Chesser
C: Hewett, Reid, L.Edwards
HF: Brockman, O.Allen, Petrucelle
FF: B.Williams. Maric, Long
R: Barnett, Hall, Johnston
I/C: Culley, J.Williams, A.Reid, Trew
Baker, Jamieson, Rawlinson, Baker

Good KPP depth and spine but just need flankers and wingers in next 2 drafts for that U25 . 2 years to go with that U25 list so its why their wasnt much point in splitting up pick 1 to get 5 more to add. 30 odd u25 players would be overkill when you look at the Best 22 and experience we already have

So teams of

Best 22

FB: Cole, Barass, Hough
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Yeo
C: Sheed, Kelly, Hewett
HF: Cripps, Darling, Ryan
FF: Williams, O.Allen, Long
C: Flynn, Ginbey, Reid
I/C: Brockman, Hunt, J.Jones, Petrucelle

I think the backlines and forward lines are strong. Midfield young but has strong bodies and bench has a few playerrs who may be easily pushed out. Id expect Burgiel, Maric, Hall, Culley to push and claim some of those spots while Waterman, Gaff, Witherden provide some experienced backup

Best 22 u25

FB: Hough, Bazzo, Burgiel
HB: J.Jones, Edwards, Chesser
C: Hewett, Reid, L.Edwards
HF: Brockman, O.Allen, Petrucelle
FF: B.Williams. Maric, Long
R: Barnett, Hall, Johnston
I/C: Culley, J.Williams, A.Reid, Trew
Baker, Jamieson, Rawlinson, Baker

Good KPP depth and spine but just need flankers and wingers in next 2 drafts for that U25 . 2 years to go with that U25 list so its why their wasnt much point in splitting up pick 1 to get 5 more to add. 30 odd u25 players would be overkill when you look at the Best 22 and experience we already have
You just missed Ginbey in that u25 side. :thumbsu:

The list is in much better shape than most pundits would have you believe, on paper those teams look encouraging.

You just missed Ginbey in that u25 side. :thumbsu:

The list is in much better shape than most pundits would have you believe, on paper those teams look encouraging.
It's laughable the people who think West Coast only just started the re-build (credit to BeornJ):

1700629053957-png.1858779

Half the bloody list is 23 or under!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back