West Coast, The Pies and the Hawks could have all easily had wins this week if not for cheating ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: West Coast, The Pies and the Hawks could have all easily had wins this week if not for cheating

I know there have been a few threads on the umpiring but hopefully we can all stick together on this one, for the good of our game.

The UMPIRES have now blatently influenced the outcomes of three games out of eight this week.

Now I am not saying that the three teams mentioned would have the points if not for this CHEATING, but they might have, and that is disturbing for our game.

Listening to MMM after the game today, the boys said the umpires did not cost Collingwood the game today. People also said the umpiring did not cost the Eagles or the Hawks. Instead they highlighted individual passages, flat spots in the game, and the overall effort.

WELL NONE OF THIS IS THE POINT :mad::mad::mad:

The fact is that in all these games the umpires had a direct influence on the outcome of the game.

Regardless of the team you follow I think it would be positive for all fans to take a breath and get on the bandwagon here.

I said in another thread that with 8 winners, and 8 losers each week the joy of the winners does two things.

1) Neutralise any discussion about umpiring from the losing team. Calling them whingers, or the like. (btw the following week the roles are often reversed here) :p

2) Forget the umpiring altogether because you got the win.

Whether you like the new rules or not what it has done, which the opposing argument has no come-back from. is achieve the following. I FIRMLY believe that this was the underlying motive of these rules changes also.

** Make the rules so grey and borderline in their interpretations, that the umpires can hide behind this and no longer be clearly criticised or accountable...

The umpiring at the moment is unacceptable. Not poor, not 'a bad run', not a 'joke' but................

Totally unacceptable.
you are an idiot.

all 4 of those free kicks to sydney were there at the start of the 3rd qtr.

2 for diving, 1 for sheppherding, 1 for dropping the ball.

Go and watch the first 5 minutes. kthxbye

Re: West Coast, The Pies and the Hawks could have all easily had wins this week if not for cheating

We gave away 2 x 50m penalties at a crucial stage of the game (both were fair enough), rather than blame the umpires ( which is often a cop out) we need to look at our own shortcomings. Spider got on top, Sydney manned up well, we either ran out of puff or didn't work hard enough to get free, players weren't running forward hard enough often leaving us with little to kick to.

We weren't quite good enough on the day.

From one Hawthorn supporter to another...shut up.

You're embarrassing.

LOL:D

Reminds me of being at the footy on Saturday. There was a bloke sitting 3 rows behind me who became a whinging prick in the 2nd and 3rd quaters of the game. It was amusing at first but then he began slagging the umpires off for blatantly obvious decisions that went our way. He kept yelling "Cheaters" every time we kicked a goal or went near the ball. Eventually a Hawks supporter turned around and told him to shut the *&%$ up because he was an embarrasment. The bloke had a sook and then went missing after 3qr time.

I have a sneaking suspicion I may have seen Hodge2Franklin in person on Saturday.:D

jeff.gieschen@afl.com.au

Let him know

Let him know about getting the umps in better positions. The only decision Collingwood supporters should be unhappy with is the Robbo mark. Terrible call. All other HITB decisions were free kicks.

If I were a Pies supporter I'd be dirty on Malthouse for not getting in his players ears. Something simple like "Now boys, it is clear that the umps are tight on the HITB today so FFS don't do it". It was clear from the first bounce and the players were oblivious to it all day.

I know there have been a few threads on the umpiring but hopefully we can all stick together on this one, for the good of our game.

The UMPIRES have now blatently influenced the outcomes of three games out of eight this week.

Now I am not saying that the three teams mentioned would have the points if not for this CHEATING, but they might have, and that is disturbing for our game.

Listening to MMM after the game today, the boys said the umpires did not cost Collingwood the game today. People also said the umpiring did not cost the Eagles or the Hawks. Instead they highlighted individual passages, flat spots in the game, and the overall effort.

The fact is that in all these games the umpires had a direct influence on the outcome of the game.

Regardless of the team you follow I think it would be positive for all fans to take a breath and get on the bandwagon here.

I said in another thread that with 8 winners, and 8 losers each week the joy of the winners does two things.

1) Neutralise any discussion about umpiring from the losing team. Calling them whingers, or the like. (btw the following week the roles are often reversed here) :p

Whether you like the new rules or not what it has done, which the opposing argument has no come-back from. is achieve the following. I FIRMLY believe that this was the underlying motive of these rules changes also.

** Make the rules so grey and borderline in their interpretations, that the umpires can hide behind this and no longer be clearly criticised or accountable...

The umpiring at the moment is unacceptable. Not poor, not 'a bad run', not a 'joke' but................

Totally unacceptable.

You must have been watching a different game to me (yes I was at the "G"), but the umpiring was crap for both Sydney and Hawthorn. Sydney outplayed you in the last half , so just get over it you sook.

Agree or disagree, H2F contributes a lot and gets you thinking about the issues in our game and argues his point of view passionately and usually pretty well too.

I'm surprised at some of the venom these posts create as well. Play the thread not the poster people!

I'm surprised at some of the venom these posts create as well. Play the thread not the poster people!
just getting a bit of his own back here Rizzo. Have not seen a post from him in a while, must hate being OWNED!!!!!

Don't lump Hawthorn supporters in with this twit.

i hope you and your hawks mates keep this in mind everytime you guys start typing up a reply to geelong_crazy or nitwit..

i hope you and your hawks mates keep this in mind everytime you guys start typing up a reply to geelong_crazy or nitwit..

I thought that GC_26 was just your run of the mill Geelong poster... :D

I'm unsure as to who you're blaming the "cheating" on.

Do you really think umpires deliberately help certain teams win?
I don't think they do but.....Geischen (to my complete amazement) has stated that umpires are not totally impartial in regard to some players. This is not the players fault, and as I said I still cannot even believe that he admitted to the entire system being compromised like that. Perceptions are 1 thing but proof is another, have decisions cost games this year? Probably 2, one to the Swans against Dons and the other Roos against Pies. The rest are debateable. Is there a difference between a momentum swinging free in the last 1/4 and a regulation free in the 2nd, possibly although where do we draw the line between cause and affect? It is probably not cheating, but is it bias (concious or unconcious) or is it mistakes under pressure?
Probably the first thing that should be done is some uni type set up a decent study that looks at if the umpire was sighted, did it cost a goal, how close was the game, etc. I'm sure they are smart enough to at least give us a rough idea just how and when umpires decisions really matter. Maybe this will help the umps too, who have really 'drawn the crabs' this year because of stupid rule interpratations imposed on them.

Totally unacceptable.

Mate you lost, accept it. The Eagles lost aswell because they didn't kick a bigger score than Essendon. That's all there is too it. To say that the AFL or umpires are cheating is just crap. In this day and age I would have thought our game has gone past that. Over here in the west people still say that the AFL is out to sink the West Australian teams, thats all crap too. The AFL is a truely national competition and far too professional to be caught up in cheating or sabbotaging matches and I think you would find that the umpires aswell are far too well paid to risk there jobs cheating. Bad decisions are always going to happen and can effect results of close games but to use that as an excuse for losing is poor charachter I believe.

It's not the umpiring, it's the rules.

exactly. The robertson decision with hands in the back was crap, and obvious, ump just not in good position. We still won anyway if you take that decision out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally unacceptable.
Actually a very good comment . I have been watching our game change over the last few years and umpires are now (not all the time of course)at times
CAUSING RESULTS. Like it or not "others who rubbish" it is happening and it will happen to your team.

Cheating- come on get off the grass.

Im not here to defend the umpires. There are some i dont have much time for(the ones who talk to much) and yes i was annoyed while watching the game on monday and thought we did get the rough end of the stick but so what. This week we might get a few against us next week we might get a few for us. What goes around comes around.

People need to understand that umpires will make mistakes. Even when they dont make mistakes there will still be people who accuse them of making mistakes because they cannot see past there own rose coloured glasses.

I have umpired a few games of local footy and I hated it. Its the most thankless job in the world and its bloody hard. with the pressure of thousands of people abusing you it makes it even harder. Its also hard to be in the right spot all the time. How many times have we watched a game and said or thats a free only to watch the replay and realise we were wrong. Umps dont have the chance to look at a reply. They have a split second to make a decision and sometimes they will get it wrong.

How many mistakes to footballers make during a game? they do not get the same level of scrutiny.

My grip is against the rules committee who change the rules to often it makes it even harder for the umps to do there job.

To suggest umps are cheating is the most ridiculous thing i have heard.

Ok so maybe I am defending the umps a bit.

From one Hawthorn supporter to another...shut up.

You're embarrassing.

hey, at least hes over Richmond now, give him a break. He cant deal with more than 1 issue at a time...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back