Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

Plus this nonsense that we should deliberately tank is one guaranteed way to (further) destroy the fabric of the club and ensure we remain in the doldrums for eons.

I often wonder if people who suggest players from any team (as opposed to coaches, selection committee etc) should or would deliberately not try close to their hardest have ever actually played much footy. Because it goes against all competitive instincts, desire to do your best. And let's be honest, who doesn't want to get as many kicks as they can. These guys are elite athletes. For the majority of them, competitiveness is a key ingredient of what's got them where they are. The non-competitive ones usually don't make it. Plus a lot of them are playing for new contracts, want to finish the season on a high to place them in stead for start of next season etc etc... The idea that there would be a team full of players not trying is just farcical. You think the 10th-22nd best players on that team are going to not try in order to nudge their team up the draft order slightly. No way. They are far more concerned with their own betterment.

When Brock McLean made reference to Melbourne obviously tanking all those years ago, he was referring to who was selected and positions guys were put in.

I know 4 players who've played AFL, plus 2 others who were on lists. None were stars, but a couple played 100 games. The four of those I know well enough would never tank a game.
Fringe players are also at risk from top-end draftees coming in and getting preference at selection.

Plus this nonsense that we should deliberately tank is one guaranteed way to (further) destroy the fabric of the club and ensure we remain in the doldrums for eons.

I often wonder if people who suggest players from any team (as opposed to coaches, selection committee etc) should or would deliberately not try close to their hardest have ever actually played much footy. Because it goes against all competitive instincts, desire to do your best. And let's be honest, who doesn't want to get as many kicks as they can. These guys are elite athletes. For the majority of them, competitiveness is a key ingredient of what's got them where they are. The non-competitive ones usually don't make it. Plus a lot of them are playing for new contracts, want to finish the season on a high to place them in stead for start of next season etc etc... The idea that there would be a team full of players not trying is just farcical. You think the 10th-22nd best players on that team are going to not try in order to nudge their team up the draft order slightly. No way. They are far more concerned with their own betterment.

When Brock McLean made reference to Melbourne obviously tanking all those years ago, he was referring to who was selected and positions guys were put in.

I know 4 players who've played AFL, plus 2 others who were on lists. None were stars, but a couple played 100 games. The four of those I know well enough would never tank a game.
We are headed into round 20 having the worst season on record with only 2 wins. There's 4 games left to go while we are in the box seat to get a generational talent in Harley Reid who fits our side perfect with what's been our weakness for the past 8 years. Contested athletic midfielder. I don't need to spell it out to you but if you haven't known how compromised the draft is over the past 5 years you've been living under a rock.
Both will get compos and Gold Coast will pick academy's meaning we slip to 4th pick. It's be absolutely nonsense if we didn't tank at this point and a few meaningless wins right now goes against the whole point of what we need to do and that's rebuild. You don't rebuild with duds and we sure as hell didn't go through this long long season of losses for us to screw up our rebuild now. Would be dam right stupid to do that.

We are headed into round 20 having the worst season on record with only 2 wins. There's 4 games left to go while we are in the box seat to get a generational talent in Harley Reid who fits our side perfect with what's been our weakness for the past 8 years. Contested athletic midfielder. I don't need to spell it out to you but if you haven't known how compromised the draft is over the past 5 years you've been living under a rock.
Both will get compos and Gold Coast will pick academy's meaning we slip to 4th pick. It's be absolutely nonsense if we didn't tank at this point and a few meaningless wins right now goes against the whole point of what we need to do and that's rebuild. You don't rebuild with duds and we sure as hell didn't go through this long long season of losses for us to screw up our rebuild now. Would be dam right stupid to do that.

We will start at 10/1 outsiders for the remaining 4 games. We don't need to tank.

Are you annoyed we won on the weekend or something?

We will start at 10/1 outsiders for the remaining 4 games. We don't need to tank.

I'm annoyed anyone saying we should go for a win with what's on the line now. I hope the club see's what we need to do but I have this feeling they will try and push for a win and we pick a dud.

If we don’t finish last, instead of Reid we draft either Curtin or McKercher who both show signs of being very good players in their own right

Alternatively, we miss the opportunity to convert pick 1 into a trade bonanza of picks albeit that the offers being floated in the media currently aren’t particularly enticing

Reid would be the preference obviously but not at the expense of deliberately losing games to guarantee pick 1

If we don’t finish last, instead of Reid we draft either Curtin or McKercher who both show signs of being very good players in their own right

Alternatively, we miss the opportunity to convert pick 1 into a trade bonanza of picks albeit that the offers being floated in the media currently aren’t particularly enticing

Reid would be the preference obviously but not at the expense of deliberately losing games to guarantee pick 1
Curtin I think will take a awhile being a tall defender requires a lot of development. I give him 4 years before we see anything. It's much like Bazzo. Tall defenders just take awhile. I don't agree we should be using a top 5 pick on a tall defender. You only have to look around to see tall defenders can be easily obtained through later parts of the draft. Looking back Barrass was a late pick. McGovern Glass wasn't much either. We have a good history developing tall defenders with later picks.

Midfielders though should be taken highly through the draft as it's the hardest position these days to get great. You can't get by with just an ok midfield anymore. It has to be elite across the board. Look across the league and unless you have a A grade midfield most sides struggle. Every side has a decent midfield these days except ours. McKercher from Tassie has a much more go home factor giving that Tassie team will have there own side it would be enticing for any Tassie players to make a stamp in a new side of there home state.

Reid is more suited to where we are at. He would provide instant pressure on Sheed and Gaff from the get go. His hard at it and contested which we have lacked since Priddis left. Athletic and quick. His ready made in his first year and would provide so much excitement for our club. Reid Hewitt Gibney is our future A Grade starting midfield and it's exciting to see that if we struggle next season.

Curtin I think will take a awhile being a tall defender requires a lot of development. I give him 4 years before we see anything. It's much like Bazzo. Tall defenders just take awhile. I don't agree we should be using a top 5 pick on a tall defender. You only have to look around to see tall defenders can be easily obtained through later parts of the draft. Looking back Barrass was a late pick. McGovern Glass wasn't much either. We have a good history developing tall defenders with later picks.

Midfielders though should be taken highly through the draft as it's the hardest position these days to get great. You can't get by with just an ok midfield anymore. It has to be elite across the board. Look across the league and unless you have a A grade midfield most sides struggle. Every side has a decent midfield these days except ours. McKercher from Tassie has a much more go home factor giving that Tassie team will have there own side it would be enticing for any Tassie players to make a stamp in a new side of there home state.

Reid is more suited to where we are at. He would provide instant pressure on Sheed and Gaff from the get go. His hard at it and contested which we have lacked since Priddis left. Athletic and quick. His ready made in his first year and would provide so much excitement for our club. Reid Hewitt Gibney is our future A Grade starting midfield and it's exciting to see that if we struggle next season.
I thought Glassy was a 1st round? Pick 11 maybe.

I'm annoyed anyone saying we should go for a win with what's on the line now. I hope the club see's what we need to do but I have this feeling they will try and push for a win and we pick a dud.
Well, you'll know straight away how serious the coaches are about winning if they persist with Gaff & Sheed at the CBDs.

I think many ( you included are underestimating Curtin and don’t appreciate just how good a player he is ), he has a skill set that allows him to play more versatile roles.
I actually think he could come in earlier and play the Hurn role.

Those who see him solely as a KPP would be correct saying that he will take a few years to be ready to play AFL.
But I don’t limit him to that role.

However he can play on smalls and talls but he has a skill set that is much sought after and the bonus is that he is a very good decision maker.
That’s a unique and valued combination that not many players possess, those that do never seem to not make it at AFL level.

His foot skills are elite and I defy anyone to name three players in this cohort, who have as accurate footskills over all distance ranges.
He also has some potential IMO to play as a wingman.

With the modern game being reliant on fast ball movement and switch plays, it all comes unstuck however, if there is a turnover by foot.
That’s the way the game is trending and as such Curtin has the skills to use the ball well and execute plays that facilitate the modern game style.

Now that said IF we hold the # 1 pick I wouldn’t * around and I would just pull the trigger and draft Harley Reid.

Good Clubs back themselves ( and God only know we as a Club DO back ourselves, maybe 🤔 to a fault ).

I actually thought RO’B articulated it well in the “getable” interview.

Our retention of interstate players is second to none.

Harley already knows Noah Long and all he needs is a bit of time to settle in and acclimatise himself to both Perth and City life.

Once he plays in front of a full Optus Oval with its horde of passionate blue and yellow fans urging and screaming him on, he will thank God he didn’t end up at a piss ant Club like North who play in half packed stadiums with their 15,000 following.

We are a big Club that’s just hit a rough patch and that’s the circular nature of the AFL.
We have been blessed with a sustained run of finals success, it’s our time to rebuild, but make no mistake the tide will turn and we will back at the pointy end.

You either believe that we are on the right track and that the rebuild is going to plan, and that in three years time we will be on the rise.

Who’s to say that Reid won’t want a piece of that as a crop of similarly young group of players come through together.

I for one like the kids we have added to the list the last two years and as much as I have relentlessly bagged some of our drafting 2014-2020, I now however think that we are back on the right track, as draft hauls 2021 and 2022 have restored my faith in the recruiters.

We will get an excellent young player with our first pick, regardless of if we hold pick 1 or 2.

Obviously from my post I would prefer Reid but I certainly wound the devastated if we missed on him and either Curtin or McKercher fell to us.

I see the 🍩 not the hole…. but hey … that’s just me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even Riccuitio mentioned last night that Tex still plays WCE in the last round and if he's within striking distance of Curnow he could kick another bag v us.

I reckon Ess, WB and Criws beat us by 75+

Freo could be interesting but likely they'll wanna beat up on is over losing to us

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
All we have to do is put Rotham on tex in the last round and that'll ensure he bags 10 and crows win.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am with you.Are supporters so thick in thinking we are tanking or should tank.We are so bereft in talent at the moment that we are losing naturally because of our lack of talent.The only way we would win games is if all our A graders were available fit and in form and most of them are unavailable or like Yeo or Guv half the players they were five years ago.We can't play four quarters and we won't magically do it in the last four matches.

The players will never tank, whether asked to by the coaches (which would be an all-time dumb ass move for a couple of reasons) or of their own accord (as I alluded to previously).
So that just leaves the coaches to orchestrate the tanking. But if the players get a whiff that the coaches don't want them to win - because certain players are left out, or unusual strategy is implemented, or players are played out of position - then what message does that send to the young players? Not a good one. We need them to be driven, competitive beasts for the next 10 years, guys who'll go the extra mile to win. Planting the seed that winning is selective goes completely against this. The downside of this far outweighs the upside of guaranteeing we get #1/Harley Reid, especially given it is very highly likely we finish last anyhow even if we are putting in 110% for the last 4 weeks.

Reckon we're the sort of club that can tank a season or two and not show ill effects from it. We're not Melbourne or North.

I've seen enough of Reid to suggest he will be a champion here, not convinced at all he'd move back to Vic. hopefully he finds a cute WA gal in the meantime.

Please do the right thing Eagles 🙃 we'll win our next flag before 15 or so other clubs.

I think many ( you included are underestimating Curtin and don’t appreciate just how good a player he is ), he has a skill set that allows him to play more versatile roles.
I actually think he could come in earlier and play the Hurn role.

Those who see him solely as a KPP would be correct saying that he will take a few years to be ready to play AFL.
But I don’t limit him to that role.

However he can play on smalls and talls but he has a skill set that is much sought after and the bonus is that he is a very good decision maker.
That’s a unique and valued combination that not many players possess, those that do never seem to not make it at AFL level.

His foot skills are elite and I defy anyone to name three players in this cohort, who have as accurate footskills over all distance ranges.
He also has some potential IMO to play as a wingman.

With the modern game being reliant on fast ball movement and switch plays, it all comes unstuck however, if there is a turnover by foot.
That’s the way the game is trending and as such Curtin has the skills to use the ball well and execute plays that facilitate the modern game style.

Now that said IF we hold the # 1 pick I wouldn’t * around and I would just pull the trigger and draft Harley Reid.

Good Clubs back themselves ( and God only know we as a Club DO back ourselves, maybe 🤔 to a fault ).

I actually thought RO’B articulated it well in the “getable” interview.

Our retention of interstate players is second to none.

Harley already knows Noah Long and all he needs is a bit of time to settle in and acclimatise himself to both Perth and City life.

Once he plays in front of a full Optus Oval with its horde of passionate blue and yellow fans urging and screaming him on, he will thank God he didn’t end up at a piss ant Club like North who play in half packed stadiums with their 15,000 following.

We are a big Club that’s just hit a rough patch and that’s the circular nature of the AFL.
We have been blessed with a sustained run of finals success, it’s our time to rebuild, but make no mistake the tide will turn and we will back at the pointy end.

You either believe that we are on the right track and that the rebuild is going to plan, and that in three years time we will be on the rise.

Who’s to say that Reid won’t want a piece of that as a crop of similarly young group of players come through together.

I for one like the kids we have added to the list the last two years and as much as I have relentlessly bagged some of our drafting 2014-2020, I now however think that we are back on the right track, as draft hauls 2021 and 2022 have restored my faith in the recruiters.

We will get an excellent young player with our first pick, regardless of if we hold pick 1 or 2.

Obviously from my post I would prefer Reid but I certainly wound the devastated if we missed on him and either Curtin or McKercher fell to us.

I see the 🍩 not the hole…. but hey … that’s just me.
Agree totally with this sentiment.

However on Curtin... I also believe that he is a terrific player. But if we get to split Reid then i would rather take two mids, because although Curtin did well he is no Sanders or McKercher or even the Vic Metro captain. If the club wants a KPD for one of the players then O'Sullivan or Murphy are better options.
I would love to see his Combine Results to see if he is as athletically gifted as say Mitch Duncan, and then maybe i would see the potential to choose him ahead of another pure mid or a KPD.

After watching the turmoil of this year I'm convinced that we need to shore up our KPD. I think Rotham and Foley have had ample opportunity and failed. I'm not sold on Edwards and I'm hopeful for Bazzo. With Barass and Gov missing a fair amount of opportunities then i would hope that we can get a mid 1st rounder to pick up a quality KPD

I think some people are underestimating how outlandish results become more likely at the rear end of the season.

A team may be out of finals contention, or rather they may crumble under the pressure of making it. Unlikely we win another game? Sure. Impossible? Impossible is nothing.

I think some people are underestimating how outlandish results become more likely at the rear end of the season.

A team may be out of finals contention, or rather they may crumble under the pressure of making it. Unlikely we win another game? Sure. Impossible? Impossible is nothing.
Could say the same thing about North though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back