Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a long winded way of saying "get rid of North, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast and GWS"

Who's the 6th? Sydney are the 6th smallest based on 2022 Membership.
Fremantle? Brisbane? Melbourne? Port?

No Glory in seeing the club you love become a reserves side for the bigger clubs in your state.
How much interest would you have if Richmond was demoted to Collingwood's feeder club?
Unpopular opinion, Melbourne deserve to be mentioned in the same way as St Kilda, Bulldogs, and North, they are very lucky to escape it because of their old boys establishment. In terms of on field and off field success they should be targeted just as often.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Unpopular opinion, Melbourne deserve to be mentioned in the same way as St Kilda, Bulldogs, and North, they are very lucky to escape it because of their old boys establishment. In terms of on field and off field success they should be targeted just as often.

Well we have worked hard to get out of that rut.
On field we just won a *ing premiership last year , which you know, is literally the goal.
And have got 65k members. None of those clubs have ever gotten those numbers.
And also 5th average attendance in the whole league.
The clubs in pretty good place.

Personally I hate it when any club gets mentioned for merge/fold/relocation. It's always suggested by fans of other clubs. Couldn't possibly suggest their own club, nooooo that would be too far.

Last edited:

Get rid of marquee games, or share them equally. The comp is rigged until these games are flexible and based on performance. As long as the same teams get the biggest fixtures no matter how they are travelling there will always be an imbalance in attracting talent, fans and interesting between the traditionally "big clubs" and the small clubs.
The games are only big because the big teams are playing.

I mean it was blown more in the 70s and 80s

I'm not sure what people want the umpires to do. Take it back to the good old days of around 70 free kicks?

I more mean the blow it for reasons other than free kicks when there is no reason for a whistle. Not the amount of free kicks given.

Funnily enough, the Bulldogs DON'T deserve to part of the discussion.

2 grand finals and a premiership in the past 6 seasons.
One of the only clubs in the competition who would have survived Covid if the AFL couldn't assist financially.

Mitch Robinson playing up in NT says the introduction of a 4th umpire increased the free kicks quite a bit.

He said get ready for a lot more free kicks

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I find the draft publicity a massive wank.

Can't stand shifter Sheehan.
Shifter =
Julie Andrews Maria GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gets an amazing level of attention considering most fans never watch the draft prospects play
What really gets my goat is the "pundits" like "shifter" Sheehan trying to tell me some 17yo kid who has never played is a "star" and a "leader" with "great character ".

U know what. Just gagf. It's a weird jerkathon.
A grown man who gushes over young boys just gives me the absolute creeps.

Just give us basic information and stop exaggerating and jerking off.

I find the draft publicity a massive wank.

Can't stand shifter Sheehan.
Related and each to their own, but I've never had any interest or the time to follow anything related to the trade and draft news in the 'off season'.
Unlike most BF posters I assume, I actually enjoy being surprised during pre-season matches discovering which players/coaches are still at the club or not and learning about the new additions, which is why my input on related threads is non-existent.
Only via my Viber group mates do I know that T.Mithcell, J.Gunston and J.O'Mera are not longer at the Hawks...

Last edited:
The AFL.com.au media journos suck and if you focus hard enough you can easily tell which clubs the barrack for. Cal Twomey the most biased, and Josh Gabelich the worst writer. Much prefer the effort from people at The Inner Sanctum and smaller outlets that do their research and also attend pressers and have accreditation.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

The AFL didn't release the round 1 fixture to take shine off the Socceroos.

Why even bother? Does anybody ever care about the release of a single round fixture when we already knew most of the match ups anyway?

And let's for a second pretend it was orchestrated this way. Who the hell cares? If you love both sports what did it change for you?
If you only love one or the other did it make any difference to your day?

Cal Twomey isn't an oracle and everyone needs to chill jerking him off after getting the first round right

He gets so many draft picks correct because he has good contacts with recruiters and draftees, not because of some sixth sense about footy
That's literally the reason everyone rates him lol - because he gets good contacts which allows him to get the order right.

What really gets my goat is the "pundits" like "shifter" Sheehan trying to tell me some 17yo kid who has never played is a "star" and a "leader" with "great character ".

U know what. Just gagf. It's a weird jerkathon.
A grown man who gushes over young boys just gives me the absolute creeps.

Just give us basic information and stop exaggerating and jerking off.
And this must be a piss take. There's nothing remotely sexual about watching good 17-18 year olds play footy, and the only person who has sexualised the concept is you. Weird post.

And this must be a piss take. There's nothing remotely sexual about watching good 17-18 year olds play footy, and the only person who has sexualised the concept is you. Weird post.
Really?

You think calling a 17yo a great "leader" and of "great character" and a "star" is all valid?

It's totally nonsense brainwashing.

Not heard a a single OTT comment watching the soccer coverage and these players are actually world class athletes. All i hear is "good shift" and that isabout the highest of praise.
None of this everyone is a "superstar" crap.

It's flat out embarrassing.

But obviously you are all in 100% on aussie rules marketing propaganda.

The reason these terms are used is to market to parents and children.

It's ridiculously transparent.

But each to their own.

Really?

You think calling a 17yo a great "leader" and of "great character" and a "star" is all valid?

Not heard a a single OTT comment watching the soccer coverage and these players are actually world class athletes. All i hear is "good shift" and that isabout the highest of praise.

But each to their own.
You do realise that these calls are made in regards to their peers at their age level? Its not saying this kid is a better leader than Selwood, Hodge etc. It is saying that at their age they are showing great leadership ability compared to others in the u/18 comps.

Really?

But each to their own.
Maybe you were just a crappy kid but it is indeed possible for teenagers to have great character and lead by example on the football field. Shifta’s hype might be a little much but it’s not fluff, it’s just exaggerated and because he’s told to say it. He’s paid by Fox Footy/AFL to deliver their product. He’d know exactly what weaknesses players have but if that isn’t wanted on TV then he can’t say it.

For what it’s worth, I would like more balanced analysis, more talk on improvement and less “every player is the next Gary Ablett” but is that what what you’re trying to argue? You sound like your problem is blokes watching underage football to gauge good talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back