Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to be wildly unpopular but I would get rid of the push in the back rule except for marking contests. Too many cases now where the player being tackled drives themselves forward to the ground and the tackler gets pinned for falling on top due to momentum. Not to mention the number of times a player is chasing to tackle, lunges in an effort to disrupt a kick and gets pinned for pushing. Our sport should be encouraging those types of efforts not penalising players for them.
reinstate hands in the back, get rid of push in the back.

I'm been cooking up this draft hot take for awhile

Teams should look to split top 5 draft picks for 3 mid-range draft picks every single time

Draftees are like used cars, usually their value goes down as soon as they play a season. Would you trade pick 1 for Cadman? Or pick 6 for DGB?

As an example, I used a random number generator for picks 2-5 v 13-17 + 22-29 + 30-36. Teams overvalue top picks, so they'd pay slightly over points value to move up and get their target.

2016 Draft
5 for 15, 22, 31

Will Setterfield for Jordan Gallucci, Jordan Ridley, Josh Begley

2017 Draft
3 for 13, 27, 32

Paddy Dow for Jarrod Brandner, Brent Daniels, Brayden Ainsworth

2018 Draft
3 for 16, 27, 33

Izak Rankine for Ned McHenry, Tom Sparrow, James Jordan

I'm taking splitting picks for the first two years and picking Rankine in 2018 - so 2-1 score. I did genuinely do these with RNG - even if you take a non-Dow top 3 pick, the same can be said for near misses with the lower picks e.g. Bolton, English, Fritsch.

Instead of having a bounce to start an AFL game toss the coin to see who kicks off.

Winner of the toss gets the ball and teams set up from that point on but in 6,6,6 formation so no flooding.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Beyond insane. Centre clearance winning is one of the most exciting and key contested parts of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer watching games at Marvel to the MCG, generally (unless it's a big match/crowd). Climate controlled, more convenient to get to (don't have to walk ages), and as a spectator I've no complaints about it. Also the acoustics mean a 50k crowd at Marvel is comparable to 70k+ at the G, all else being equal.

Players being allowed to take full 30 seconds for a “set shot” when outside 50. I think it should only apply to marks inside 50.

If you are going to kick it from outside 50, by all means. I just don’t think you should get the full 30 seconds only to pull out the “set play” kick to the goal square. Or, if that’s too difficult, if you decide that you are going to take the set shot from that distance and it falls short, it’s play on if a player from your team marks the kick inside 50.

In general I think umpires are fairly lenient, but sometimes it’s pulling the proverbial when you’ve got guys that can barely kick 40 look to take time off the clock

Set shot for goals are my least favourite part of footy. My other unpopular opinion is that they should only get 15 seconds in general.

Teams should look to split top 5 draft picks for 3 mid-range draft picks every single time

Draftees are like used cars, usually their value goes down as soon as they play a season. Would you trade pick 1 for Cadman? Or pick 6 for DGB?

As an example, I used a random number generator for picks 2-5 v 13-17 + 22-29 + 30-36. Teams overvalue top picks, so they'd pay slightly over points value to move up and get their target.

2016 Draft
5 for 15, 22, 31

2017 Draft
3 for 13, 27, 32

2018 Draft
3 for 16, 27, 33

I'm taking splitting picks for the first two years and picking Rankine in 2018 - so 2-1 score. I did genuinely do these with RNG - even if you take a non-Dow top 3 pick, the same can be said for near misses with the lower picks e.g. Bolton, English, Fritsch.
This is good in theory, and yes it might work for cars, in that 3 cars @ $20,000 each are worth more than 1 car @ $40,000 (notwithstanding having to pay three rego's, three insurances etc).

But on an AFL list with restricted playing numbers, you need to also count the value and contribution of the other two players that can be included on that playing list with the top 5 draft pick.

These could include players taken beyond the ND, such as in the PSD, MSD or via free agency.

Players being allowed to take full 30 seconds for a “set shot” when outside 50. I think it should only apply to marks inside 50.

If you are going to kick it from outside 50, by all means. I just don’t think you should get the full 30 seconds only to pull out the “set play” kick to the goal square. Or, if that’s too difficult, if you decide that you are going to take the set shot from that distance and it falls short, it’s play on if a player from your team marks the kick inside 50.

In general I think umpires are fairly lenient, but sometimes it’s pulling the proverbial when you’ve got guys that can barely kick 40 look to take time off the clock

Set shot for goals are my least favourite part of footy. My other unpopular opinion is that they should only get 15 seconds in general.

One point for touched or rushed. Three for a kick through the point posts.

Encourages more long shots and will bust i50 flooding

Does that apply to those who can realistically kick it from outside 50 consistently? Tex, Daniher, Curnow etc. So the ump basically would make a call on whether they think the player can kick it. What if there's a stiff breeze or they go the barrell? I'm guessing in the dying stages of the 2018 GF you weren't like 'Shuey can't make it from there, make him play on!' Haha.

I think it should be an accumulated 30 seconds. So if a bloke at 50 metres (or 40, or 30) winds down the 30 secs and then passes it off to a teammate also in goal scoring range, the 30 seconds doesn't reset.

Either that, or just stop the clock when someone is lining up, until the ball is kicked or handballed.

Weak people who play the game, make a career out of it happily playing and earning well above the average australian.

Then sue afterwards or lash the sport once they are done for one reason or another , instead of bringing it up at the time and risking their dollars.

2016 Draft
5 for 15, 22, 31

2017 Draft
3 for 13, 27, 32

2018 Draft
3 for 16, 27, 33

Not sure I agree 100% but in general AFL clubs are too conservative with very high picks.

Does that apply to those who can realistically kick it from outside 50 consistently? Tex, Daniher, Curnow etc. So the ump basically would make a call on whether they think the player can kick it. What if there's a stiff breeze or they go the barrell? I'm guessing in the dying stages of the 2018 GF you weren't like 'Shuey can't make it from there, make him play on!' Haha.
Yes, I think they should be allowed to take a set shot, just given less time to be able to do so. A bit extra time to normal but not the countdown clock.

If you are giving away 30 seconds to let them take it I think it should be earnt by only being inside 50.

I did think they would make Shuey play on, on the day, it irritated me on the day then, too even if my side did benefit haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back