Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 17th

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 18th

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They are so average and I really hate them. Bunch of jerks.

Richo isn't taking them anywhere - it'll be a sad day for them when they realise they've got a total battler as a coach.

His coaching seems like he's still feeling that Voss hit.

Have you changed your tune Abasi?
Not really. I still question heading into next season with so many senior players unchanged, but Clarkson and Co know more about the headspace of those players than I, and if they think it’s a risk worth taking, that they’ve all get the fire in them to surge again then, I will back them in.

One thing that gives me confidence is that the second half of our 2017 was equal to just about all top 4 contenders, so if you can add Birchall, Rioli, Stratton, Frawley and Ceglar to that side we really should be much stronger in 2018. Then of course there’s Impey and O’Meara, who will be pushing hard to show what he(they) can do. I can certainly see a much better 2018 than 2017.

Let’s put it this way, we were outside of the 8 by 1.5 wins....I think the additions of Birchall and Rioli and the flow on effect alone can make up that difference.

I am 99% certain we will not have the gameplan issues that we had in the first month of 2017, which sent the confidence of the group into a downward spiral.

My only concern is that so many of the players who looked to have lost the confidence and fire in their belly in May of 2017 dish up more of the same...but in reality, that’s probably a pretty low chance of happening considering the amount of pressure that they will feel for spots going forward.

Not really. I still question heading into next season with so many senior players unchanged, but Clarkson and Co know more about the headspace of those players than I, and if they think it’s a risk worth taking, that they’ve all get the fire in them to surge again then, I will back them in.

One thing that gives me confidence is that the second half of our 2017 was equal to just all top 4 contenders, so if you can add Birchall, Rioli, Stratton, Frawley and Ceglar to that side we really should be much stronger in 2018. Then of course there’s Impey and O’Meara, who will be pushing hard to show what he(they) can do. I can certainly see a much better 2018 than 2017.

Let’s put it this way, we were outside of the 8 by 1.5 wins....I think the additions of Birchall and Rioli and the flow on effect alone can make up that difference.

I am 99% certain we will not have the gameplan issues that we had in the first month of 2017, which sent the confidence of the group into a downward spiral.

My only concern is that so many of the players who looked to have lost the confidence and fire in their belly in May of 2017 dish up more of the same...but in reality, that’s probably a pretty low chance of happening considering the amount of pressure that they will feel for spots going forward.

Birchall is one player whose heart and intent we couldn't question. Poor bloke just got injured every time he played.

Still a chance we make some moves, we have always been a bit active in the last day whether it be late pick swaps or depth player trades.

We have plenty of 'proven' Premiership talent in our best 18 so I don't have any doubts on our ability to perform - we're certainly capable of Top 4 at full strength - but we're a little light on for depth. The injection of youth will hopefully inspire the older players to great heights again. You'd think with 4-5 quality players to return who contributed nothing last year, a better draw and our youth improving again we are in for a better season than 2017.

AA = Past All Australian or nominee
* = Premiership Players
^ = Rising star of competition

B: Stratton* Frawley(AA) Duryea*
HB: Sicily^ Burton^ Birchall(AA)
C: Smith* O'Meara^ Shiels*
HF: Rioli(AA) Gunston(AA) Burgoyne(AA)
F: Bruest(AA) Roughead(AA) Puopolo*

R: McEvoy* Langford* Mitchell(AA)
I/C From: Schoenmakers* Howe Hardwick O'Brien Impey Hartung Lovell Ceglar Henderson Glass Brand Morrison

Notwithstanding injuries the midfield is definitely the key to a good year. The rest of the field is quality back & forward. McEvoy & Mitchell only need to repeat their form of this year so I'd say if O'Meara can produce 20+ games (the big unknown) and 2 of Shiels, Langford & Howe can produce dour enough seasons to at least break even with their opponents most weeks then Top 4 for sure. IMO O'Meara is the key to a good season. We get him right we play deep in September 1st - 5th. If not 6th - 10th.

So I'll go a bit of both : 5th - 6th.

That list is pretty impressive; people that question whether we can challenge again next year do so at their peril.

One thing that gives me confidence is that the second half of our 2017 was equal to just all top 4 contenders, so if you can add Birchall, Rioli, Stratton, Frawley and Ceglar to that side we really should be much stronger in 2018. Then of course there’s Impey and O’Meara, who will be pushing hard to show what he(they) can do. I can certainly see a much better 2018 than 2017.

Couldn't agree more mate.

Half of me is hoping we finsh bottom four just so we can get a low pick and will force the coaching staff to move on some of the later 20 year olds but part of me wants us to be successful.

If reports are right nect year would be ideal for rebuilding purposes

2018 is hope more than anything else. I feel the comp will have moved further next year and suspect we haven't done enough to slingshot fwd. So many of our returning players are on the decline. They should mean we challenge for the 8 but don't see us as a genuine chance. We need to find 2 players this draft to jump ahead of our usual depth candidates. Hanrahan is a lock and I hope Glass improves but my opinion of how ready he was dropped after seeing him live at afl level following initially seeing his afl games on tv.

My son recently had lunch with a former Hawthorn legend who was apparently very bullish about the team's prospects in 2018. He was also very optimistic about the likelihood of Jaeger's return to full fitness.
The individual is now in the media and does not view the world through Hawthorn coloured glasses so his positivity is in stark contrast to many supporters on Bigfooty. I also note that Bucky was pretty upbeat about the Hawks in a Herald Sun article.

My son recently had lunch with a former Hawthorn legend who was apparently very bullish about the team's prospects in 2018. He was also very optimistic about the likelihood of Jaeger's return to full fitness.
The individual is now in the media and does not view the world through Hawthorn coloured glasses so his positivity is in stark contrast to many supporters on Bigfooty. I also note that Bucky was pretty upbeat about the Hawks in a Herald Sun article.
Nice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just curious to see what other Hawks fans think.
Keep in mind this is just after the home and away season.
I might do a where do we finish after the finals if a couple of people answer this one.
Thanks guys
Can't guess , its too many games too many things can happen, but I'll say this, IN THE EIGHT!

Back