Which 2 teams should play the season opener?

Remove this Banner Ad

it was a good game last year. We were supposed to be terrible and almost won it. Guaranteed big attendance and big viewing audience is why it will remain the first game in Melbourne for the season. I don't get why people get their knickers in a knot over things like this. Don't like the game, don't watch it. Pretty simple.

Hence why I didn't watch a Brisbane game apart from against carlton

it was a good game last year. We were supposed to be terrible and almost won it. Guaranteed big attendance and big viewing audience is why it will remain the first game in Melbourne for the season. I don't get why people get their knickers in a knot over things like this. Don't like the game, don't watch it. Pretty simple.

Hence why I didn't watch a Brisbane game apart from against carlton
Because we haqve waited months for footy and would like a decent game to kick off the season and I never said the Lions should play the season opener.

You don't waste the GF replay in round 1.

Anyway in the years where they did deviate from Richmond/Carlton the matches were all boring. Sydney vs GWS, Adelaide vs Brave Bombers, Fremantle vs Collingwood were all s**t games. Round 1 is always scrappy and ugly, regardless of who plays.

Dogs vs GWS. They will play off the 2017 flag so lets start the season with the two best sides playing instead of watching the crap Richmond serve up.

You don't waste the GF replay in round 1.

Anyway in the years where they did deviate from Richmond/Carlton the matches were all boring. Sydney vs GWS, Adelaide vs Brave Bombers, Fremantle vs Collingwood were all s**t games. Round 1 is always scrappy and ugly, regardless of who plays.

This brings up a good point...For all the whinges about Richmond & Carlton always getting it, there have been lots of 'exceptions'.

That they've been so forgettable is probably the best argument for keeping it between these teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we haqve waited months for footy and would like a decent game to kick off the season and I never said the Lions should play the season opener.

Well don't watch any games until the game you think is the best of round 1 is played. That way you get the round 1 game you wanted to be the first game of the season and don't have to watch a 'boring' game

Well don't watch any games until the game you think is the best of round 1 is played. That way you get the round 1 game you wanted to be the first game of the season and don't have to watch a 'boring' game
Great logic but 1 problem.

There are many people saying this and its not just me. If the AFL want ratings put a decent game on.

Boo-hoo - another sooky la-la thread about the Carlton/Richmond opener round .

If you want to replace it then it can only be replaced by a replay of the previous years grand final.

No other combination is guaranteed to be 'less boring' than a packed MCG with Carlton vs Richmond.
Its not about a guaruntee its about the teams most likely to put on a good show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back