Which decade had the best AFL/VFL rules?

Which decade had the best AFL/VFL rules?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleansweep17

Premiership Player
Dec 20, 2023
AFL Club
Richmond
Which decade do you think had the best AFL/VFL rules and why? Would you bring any old rules back into the modern game?

Mid to late 90s to early 2000s in my opinion, after early 2000s the rule changes every year & consistency dropped at AFL.

Best time for me was around 2007-2012ish, maybe even a touch later. I used to look forward to watching most games and my own team despite Richmond being terrible.

I hate the recent rule changes around rotations, stand, 6-6-6, among others. Everyone is pigeon holed into playing the same way and it feels like I'm watching a manufactured product. I only really look forward to watching my team these days and the occasional blockbuster.

Best and most important rule changes were in 60s and 70s: out on the full, centre square (started as a diamond), banning flick passes and allowing player interchange. From then til 2010s was great. Modern rules protecting head and generally reducing violence are good but stand rule, 666, ruck nomination/3rd man up and insufficient intent OOB are bs.

Mid to late 90s to early 2000s in my opinion, after early 2000s the rule changes every year & consistency dropped at AFL.

Problem is they changed for a reason. Can you imagine how awful the game would be in 2024 if the deliberate out of bounds rule was entirely removed, or making it far harder for a player to be caught holding the ball. it would slow the game down massively and make it almost unwatchable.

Problem is they changed for a reason. Can you imagine how awful the game would be in 2024 if the deliberate out of bounds rule was entirely removed, or making it far harder for a player to be caught holding the ball. it would slow the game down massively and make it almost unwatchable.
Would be awful, stoppage after stoppage, like a constant rugby maul. Also deliberate rushed behinds would be exploited every close game

2020s easily.

People like to go back to nostalgia and the good ol’ days. But truth is majority of the rule changes were necessary to improve the game.
Even at the top of my head, think about if we didn’t have:
Prohibiting cheapshot bumps, concussion protocols, deliberate out of bounds, shotclock, 6-6-6, dragging the ball in holding the ball, sliding below the knees, video replay that can decide the outcome of games etc.

Not saying all the rules they’ve brought have been as useful as others. But just saying it’s human nature to hate on the ‘now’, but really the rules have never been better.

Could you add an option for the 2030s? I think the best is yet to come

1990s.... it was more open and attacking. Oh and intead of 20 minute quaters, it was 25 minute quarters.

start of the 1990s it was 2 players on the bench. Then it increased to 3 then by the end of the 1990s it increased to 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back