Roast Who is Cam Joyce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My issues with Joyce resonate from his inability to draw players from opposing clubs despite through the roof offers. The Hartlett deal was a great example, and despite the fact we are lucky he didn't choose us, 1) it's a great example of Joyce's inability to close & 2) why were we offering that sort of money for him in the first place?... the same case could be made for Aish.

He isn't the charismatic face that we need to be the face of our football department.

A lot of moaning in here about him "not having done anything wrong"... well I'd argue he hasn't done a lot right either.

We still don't have a genuine star midfielder on our list, and that has been an issue through Joyce's tenure - the solution of throwing millions of dollars at other clubs stars isn't the answer. Should be able to make your own, and cam (and Brad) have shown that they cannot.

Hartlett and Aish??? Hartlett and Aish???

Wowee.

My issues with Joyce resonate from his inability to draw players from opposing clubs despite through the roof offers. The Hartlett deal was a great example, and despite the fact we are lucky he didn't choose us, 1) it's a great example of Joyce's inability to close & 2) why were we offering that sort of money for him in the first place?... the same case could be made for Aish.

He isn't the charismatic face that we need to be the face of our football department.

A lot of moaning in here about him "not having done anything wrong"... well I'd argue he hasn't done a lot right either.

We still don't have a genuine star midfielder on our list, and that has been an issue through Joyce's tenure - the solution of throwing millions of dollars at other clubs stars isn't the answer. Should be able to make your own, and cam (and Brad) have shown that they cannot.
Don't buy the lack of development either. We've had 2 out of the last 100 top 10 picks. The top 10 picks are dominated by elite midfielders, eg this year. So we simply haven't had access to elite talent. Ziebell and Cunnington have obvious deficiencies (pace and endurance) yet they have been developed into highly competent midfielders, elite in Cunningtons case. Ben Jacobs was developed into an elite tagger despite deficiencies. Ben Brown has been developed into an elite key forward despite being a low draft pick. Robbie Tarrant has been transformed from a first into an elite key defender.

Then provide them. And have the guts to provide your real name as well

Or retract and shut up.

The choice is yours.

And the same goes for you Ohhh Errol
Well said Horace.
This ITK nonsense really grinds my gears.
It's just a free pass to avoid having to justify anything you post.
Pathetic.

Don’t think it would just be Cam Joyce they’d roll out to pitch to a player. I’d expect Archer, Stevo, Boomer, Scott, etc. it was even reported that Ron Joseph was involved in a recent pitch

Don't buy the lack of development either. We've had 2 out of the last 100 top 10 picks. The top 10 picks are dominated by elite midfielders, eg this year. So we simply haven't had access to elite talent. Ziebell and Cunnington have obvious deficiencies (pace and endurance) yet they have been developed into highly competent midfielders, elite in Cunningtons case. Ben Jacobs was developed into an elite tagger despite deficiencies. Ben Brown has been developed into an elite key forward despite being a low draft pick. Robbie Tarrant has been transformed from a first into an elite key defender.

Okay that's a great stat - so I'd follow up with, why haven't we traded back into that 100?

This is my issue, he talks about being aggressive - well, then you shouldn't be waiting for a top pick to fall into our hands, you should be working to get one.

Okay that's a great stat - so I'd follow up with, why haven't we traded back into that 100?

This is my issue, he talks about being aggressive - well, then you shouldn't be waiting for a top pick to fall into our hands, you should be working to get one.
Ok, who do you recommend trading in order to get this top 10 pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think it would just be Cam Joyce they’d roll out to pitch to a player. I’d expect Archer, Stevo, Boomer, Scott, etc. it was even reported that Ron Joseph was involved in a recent pitch
Exactly. ' I was really keen on going to North, as the money was really good, the players really like Brad Scott and the club seems to be moving in the right direction. Then I saw Cam Joyce do an interview and he didn't speak very well so that was me out. I'm going to Carlton now for 100k less per year."

Im surprised at how much offended inflammation this thread has caused - I'm still waiting for one of you to tell me something that he has done right?

Has only targeted genuinely elite players with our first three draft picks. While you can argue all day that he has missed out, so have 16 other clubs. The difference was that after being turned down, he wasn't tempted by the O'Rourke, Christensen, Melksham and Stanley types.

Meanwhile he has opted for low-cost options (Dal Santo, Higgins, Waite, Williams etc), which has allowed us to keep hitting the draft. As a result we have 12 u22 players on our list that were drafted in the first two rounds, which is a great foundation as we enter the first offseason of our rebuild.

I'm not the head of a football department so that isn't my job to decide - but if it was my job, I would be liable for not making it happen.

So, in your job, if some unrelated but entitled 3rd party expects something of you that is not possible to achieve or reasonable to expect, you would fall on your sword? You should, because you would be be liable for not making it happen, at least in the eyes of the unrelated but entitled 3rd party.

Not charismatic enough to be a GM of football...

We should fire him and sign up 'The Rock'.

Brad is the face of most of North's football related stuff and he does a damn good job of it. Let the others focus on their job. Joyce has done a pretty darn good job IMO. If we cut him loose 17 other clubs would be calling him with 5 mins. If that happened we'd need to kill him as he knows too much about our list.

Im surprised at how much offended inflammation this thread has caused - I'm still waiting for one of you to tell me something that he has done right?

Itemise what you see as his responsibilities, and I will give it a crack.

There is only one question you raised in the O.P "how is he going to sell the north Melbourne football club?"

This isn't his responsibility.

You can be pretty sure that when the club feels the need to be rolling him out for this weeks publicity jaunts that they too realise there is a problem.

For starters the recruitment of Dal Santo, Higgins and Waite, were in my opinion, (note the use of the words "in my opinion". "In my opinion" any post that states it is an opinion piece, has far greater chance of being respected because we are all entitled to our opinions, whether they be right or wrong) very good recruitments over recent years. I doubt if many clubs are able to exceed our efforts in this area.

The others brought in from other clubs and on our list in 2017 are as far as my analysis goes, are Marley Williams, Anderson, Jacobs, Hrovat and Ahern. Williams was pretty easy to get, but equally there must have been some issues at Collingwood otherwise, why would they let him go so easily? So, there was some risk there and in my view, he has been an excellent acquisition. Anderson so far has been a disappointment. 2018 will be crucial for him. Benny Jacobs has been a terrific get and if not for injuries who knows what difference he might have made in recent times. I think Hrovat was more than promising and with time will develop into a pretty good footballer. Taking Ahern on in last years trade period when we clearly were going down a re-build path and knowing we would not have him this year, may well prove to be a masterstroke in the years to come. We could have had someone else on the list, who would have made no difference to our performance this year, whereas we now have a Pick 7 from a previous draft to work with, which surely must be a positive.

You previously stated in another post that he should have traded to get more picks in the top 10 in recent drafts. Very easy for you to say, but nowhere near as easy to achieve. To get a club/s to part with a top 10 pick, you have to have a club/s willing to do do business and you have to give up something else of more or less equal value. Please provide details of who or what picks you would have traded and to which club/s you would have traded with.

The real answer to your question, being tell me something he has done right, in my view is that he is one of a recruiting panel, which collectively, for mine they have got more right than wrong.

I've had enough of this bloke running our football department - with all the criticism that Brad Scott gets, this bloke is deserving of the same.

He has no football pedigree (started in the marketing department) and has been a main feature and contributor throughout our mediocrity. When compared to the likes of a Neil Balme at Richmond, I do not understand how this guy is running the show.

It's been said once, but it's still relevant as ever - this bloke couldn't sell water to an Ethiopian village in a drought, how is he going to sell the north Melbourne football club?

Get. Rid. Of.

Perhaps re-read your OP quoted above. It is really just a rant. The only suggestion that you have put forward is the name of Neil Balme. What about the other 16 General Managers of Football or their equivalents? if you are going to conduct a proper analysis then you need to look at all of the GMs Football and judge them on all of their performances over the same period. Neil Balme is the best in the business in my opinion. Very very hard to to stack up against him.

I dispute that we have been mediocre in recent years. In my opinion we have been much better than mediocre over this period. Finals in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Damned by injuries in 2016 and cruelled by the umpiring in the 2015 PF.

You mean the pre prepared question/answer script of which cam still stutters his way through?

Yes. I had a different view of the way he represented himself. I’m a bit different though, I can’t stand over confident people who feel like they’re trying to sell me something. I think he’s answers are always well considered, probably a bit guarded too. Have you heard Walsh speak?

Yep. Had he had his way Mayne would be ours. We went cold on Mayne when someone above him put a stop to the nonsense. :stern look

Yeah, that would’ve been a mistake. Spose if he’s going to cop it for that then he needs to take credit for bringing Simpkin in. After years of drafting similar types under McDonald & Walsh we finally picked a player that we need. In fact the last 2 drafts we have drafted a lot of run.

You can be pretty sure that when the club feels the need to be rolling him out for this weeks publicity jaunts that they too realise there is a problem.

The reason they would be putting Joyce out there would be because our nuffy fans are sooking up because we’re throwing draft picks & money at blokes like Stringer, Watts & Motlop.

That and the negativity put out there by flogs in the media like Barret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back