• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

MAAAATTDAAAAMON

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2010
NSW
AFL Club
Essendon
For starters, this is not a thread to bash Heppell. He's been a very good captain in my opinion, but I think this should be his last year as captain.

For me it's Merrett (starting next year) and then re-evaluate as time goes on with the view to move to McGrath being the heir apparent (perhaps 3-4 years later).

Merrett, unlike so many footballers today, isn't just happy to be an afl gun. He wants success and has seemingly woken up to his leadership deficiencies. McGrath still has playing flaws so deserves time to become the AA player he's destined to become. Let him become Merrett's sole VC next year and develop his leadership skills over time. There's no rush with McGrath.

Thoughts?

Title says should poll says will. :think:

He’s trying to make it seem innocuous, but in reality it’s actually Rutten posting a poll.

Players will be informed at the end of the season that their next captain was been chosen by BigFooty majority vote.

Think it's hilarious that 8 games into his return from being voted back into a leadership position and a puff piece in the herald sun that Merret should be captain now, which is a pretty consistent media theme.

All indications are that McGrath connects the old and young.

Merrett can hardly front a camera. If he wasn't in the running as our best player he would not be in this discussion.

McGrath is clearly the better leader I'd say. He's the guy that you could imagine in front of the camera after the most heartbreaking losses or the most exciting wins with a professional exterior. Merrett is the better player but I don't think he's got much ahead of McGrath as a leader except for a few extra years of experience. Merrett's always seemed a bit twitchy and nervous in front of the camera. That's no great insult, lots of players are a bit like that but it's probably not the best quality for a captain.

I think some people are voting with their hearts because Merrett might leave this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGrath is too young despite showing lots of leadership qualities. I dont think much is gained by thrusting it on a guy too early. Am not too concerned re how Zach comes across in the media; it will be a matter of how he works with the players. He comes across as quite similar to Gary O"Donnell to me and that worked out pretty well.

Some people are down on co captains but at AFL level it makes a hell of a lot of sense. The qualities needed to be captain on field and off field are hugely different. If you have them in one player then great, but many clubs won’t.
Yep exactly.
I only have a superficial understanding of their personality, but both bring something different that makes it hard to separate them.

Merrett is the hard-working introverted professional that instills discipline and leads by example. Always dedicated, consistent and takes the responsibility to win the game. The classic on-field leader and mentor. Probably the guy you go to if you want Rutten's message clarified or if you want feedback.

McGrath is the better communicator and quickly builds rapport with the players. He's able to sell the vision and motivate the people around him. The classic likeable leader that people want to play for. He's probably the guy you go to if you have some concerns or if you want to have a chat.

Co-captaincy makes so much sense.

Think it's hilarious that 8 games into his return from being voted back into a leadership position and a puff piece in the herald sun that Merret should be captain now, which is a pretty consistent media theme.

All indications are that McGrath connects the old and young.

Merrett can hardly front a camera. If he wasn't in the running as our best player he would not be in this discussion.
I would have agreed with this 100% if I had not had a few people tell me Zack has gone ahead massively over the pre season and just continues to improve and impress in the role of VC. Nothing against Pidge who is also coming along well. It appears the work they have put in as far as leadership workshops for some of the players and the coach is looking like it will pay dividends in the long run.

Back