Prediction Who's likely to be delisted?

Which players are facing the chop at the end of the year.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally you need to turn over 4 to 5
Hampson and Griffiths are gone so need 2 or 3 more
I would retire Grigg and Mile's and Lloyd are gone

theoretically that's 5

I would also consider offering Moore, let's face it he is fast but not much else even if he has a day out and takes 10 Mark's he will kick 2 goals 8....

I cant see him burning us if we traded him and we have a few talls developing, I'd prefer to keep the smalls like stengle and Bolton and the runners Menadue, Markov and Drummond

This is what is what I would do.

If Prestia gets traded keep Miles otherwise trade Miles. Prestia is just expensive for the cap, maybe revisit terms.

Trade Lloyd if possible

Townsend keep, he just offers something unique which really suits our forward line at times. I like his attitude and he should be a good leader about the place.

Menadue and Markov along with C Ellis keep as they are hopefully the future.

Trade Houli possibly depending on cap situation and who we get in.

Grigg depends on situation cap like Houli

Drummond delist, where rookie is offered who knows

Hampson delist, Griffiths departed

Bolton not sure but if wants to stick around the potential is there, if he wants to go trade.

Now depending one who want and do get in others( not the farm) could be traded out as well.

A lot of the others would be getting close to minimum anyway so keep if they are happy and does not push our cap.

Conca and Short definite keepers, B Ellis is good for club soul and I would keep him to.

Last edited:

Hampson
- Hardly played in 2 seasons through a degenerative back injury and will definitely retire
Miles - Not getting picked and too one dimensional now for our game plan.
Lloyd - Another fringe player that has been squeezed out. He is 29 before the start of next season, so there is strong chance he is delisted.
Drummond - Has been really unlucky with injuries, but starting to get some form in the VFL. With other players ahead of him in half back role he might be one of the last cut from the list.
Grigg - Has started to hit some form after a slow start to the season. However due to his age will probably not get offered a new contract.

McIntosh looked like he was playing for the Cats he was so bad :D

I know ... he's been that way all season.
I am mystified as to how he keeps getting a game.
No doubt someone will list a whole lot of attributes ... size, bulk, stamina etc. They're all attributes that are meaningless when you don't get the ball and when on the rare occasion you do you butcher it.

Disagree.

He'd cracked a senior spot when he did his knee first time and missed most of 2015. He got himself back in the seniors by season's end 2016 and then did his knee again in April 2017 writing that year off as well.

Ffs. The bloke has gone down big time twice and come back and after half a year of 2018 we're gonna bucket him ? At 23 ?

Geezuz. Lucky Daniel Menzel didn't have you as a coach.

Every man and his dog got a game at the end of 2016 ... nothing special in that.

Not related to this thread but it's fantastic to see Adelaide take a nose dive out of the eight.There were people saying they were the best team last year, even though we won every final by at least 6 goals.Their response to the loss was to attack Jake 'Leaver' and run a camp to abuse their players.I wouldn't blame Eddie Betts if he wanted to leave. Surely senior players with families don't need to be broken down emotionally! What a joke of a club. Tex is has gone from best captain to worse captain in a year, Sloane wants out, Dangerfield left, they should probably move to Tasmania and be called the Adelaide- Tasmanian turds.

Without question Crows were the best team over the course of the 2017 season. We were the best team in the last 6 weeks - when it mattered.

They certainly have imploded this year though.

This is what is what I would do.

If Prestia gets traded keep Miles otherwise trade Miles. Prestia is just expensive for the cap, maybe revisit terms.

Trade Lloyd if possible

Townsend keep, he just offers something unique which really suits our forward line at times. I like his attitude and he should be a good leader about the place.

Menadue and Markov along with C Ellis keep as they are hopefully the future.

Trade Houli possibly depending on cap situation and who we get in.

Grigg depends on situation cap like Houli

Drummond delist, where rookie is offered who knows

Hampson delist, Griffiths departed

Bolton not sure but if wants to stick around the potential is there, if he wants to go trade.

Now depending one who want and do get in others( not the farm) could be traded out as well.

A lot of the others would be getting close to minimum anyway so keep if they are happy and does not push our cap.

Conca and Short definite keepers, B Ellis is good for club soul and I would keep him to.

I couldn't go on after "If Prestia gets traded"

Fortunately it was your opening line.

I'm starting to think that we are now into the beginning of the situation that Hawthorn, North and, to a misguided degree, Carlton found themselves in recent years. While we have a largely young list, we have some players who, while still serviceable at AFL level, will start to decline in the near future. I can see some hard nosed decisions in the pipeline on respected players like Houli, Grigg and possibly even Prestia (high cost for sound return when he makes it onto the paddock). This would allow us to retain and develop up and comers like Short, C Ellis and Garthwaite while staying in the market for the occasional big gun like Tom Lynch. It's happening earlier than I thought it would so I'm hoping Balme can guide us through some turbulence ahead.

I'll bet you a MCG chicken schnitzel burger that he's still at the club next year.

He might well be, but my point stands .... every man and his dog got a game at the end of 2016, so nothing special.
Yes, the club's spin unit may have you believe it was the greatest comeback since Jesus, him getting a game late in 2016, but so did the rawest of rookies in Chol, a very green Callum Moore, Adam Marcon (who was delisted three years later), Andrew Moore, Todd Elton, Ben Lennon, Liam McBean ... in fact 41 players in total.
Forty one of them!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't understand the Bolton talk. Fair enough if he wants to go home, but he has massive upside. 19 years old with great skills. But like all the lightly built players will take a bit of time... Daniel Rioli, the exception.

For me, it's his attitude. Sneaks out the back rather than going for the ball. When the opposition get it, he chases for three very quick steps, then puts his hands on his hips, turns his back on the ball and walks to the goal square.

Not sure if you get the opportunity to see many VFL games live? Get along and see what you think, if it's a possibility. My opinion was formed the game after he was dropped. He still kicked goals and on paper, his performance was passable, but the body language and effort was very clear for all to see. Not ideal for a youngster whose just been told to go play against some slow spuds to work on his defensive pressure.

Massive skills and upside, but unless he can change his attitude, he just doesn't fit in our team. Saw some good signs against Willy when he rolled through the midfield, but only in short patches.

And it's not so much that Bolton is bad. It's more that the other small forwards are better, and we have an excess. I reckon even Liam Baker would be getting more votes for the VFL B&F.

I'm starting to think that we are now into the beginning of the situation that Hawthorn, North and, to a misguided degree, Carlton found themselves in recent years. While we have a largely young list, we have some players who, while still serviceable at AFL level, will start to decline in the near future. I can see some hard nosed decisions in the pipeline on respected players like Houli, Grigg and possibly even Prestia (high cost for sound return when he makes it onto the paddock). This would allow us to retain and develop up and comers like Short, C Ellis and Garthwaite while staying in the market for the occasional big gun like Tom Lynch. It's happening earlier than I thought it would so I'm hoping Balme can guide us through some turbulence ahead.

Great! Turbulence ahead.

Here I was thinking I could enjoy the spoils of being the greatest team in the AFL.

For me, it's his attitude. Sneaks out the back rather than going for the ball. When the opposition get it, he chases for three very quick steps, then puts his hands on his hips, turns his back on the ball and walks to the goal square.

Not sure if you get the opportunity to see many VFL games live? Get along and see what you think, if it's a possibility. My opinion was formed the game after he was dropped. He still kicked goals and on paper, his performance was passable, but the body language and effort was very clear for all to see. Not ideal for a youngster whose just been told to go play against some slow spuds to work on his defensive pressure.

Massive skills and upside, but unless he can change his attitude, he just doesn't fit in our team. Saw some good signs against Willy when he rolled through the midfield, but only in short patches.

And it's not so much that Bolton is bad. It's more that the other small forwards are better, and we have an excess. I reckon even Liam Baker would be getting more votes for the VFL B&F.

To be honest, I can't see him getting ahead of Butler and George. Rioli is a lock for the next 10 years.

George has improved out of sight this year. Butler has been important too and will keep improving.

No doubt his attitude has held him back. As a young player he probably never needed to do the hard stuff like repeated efforts/tackling and chasing because he was so mercurial. Dose of reality in the real world. But that can easily be fixed, might take a few seasons which is necessary anyway due to his lean build. Get some kg's, another preseason, and a reality check and hopefully it clicks. It's up to him, but his game on the weekend was an improvement in some areas, tackling/contested possessions. No hurry.

Don't get the hand wringing in here.

We've got a couple of guys nearing the end of the their career, and a few quality foot soldiers possibly wanting out. Other than that our list is solid for a few more years before Cotch and Jack look at the door (Rance no idea when he'll go).

This year's draft won't be anything special for us. The really good players are before our picks. So we just keep loading up on what we need - quality inside mid possibly - and develop them. We're going to lose 2 talls automatically (Hammer and Griff). We only need one of two more gone and we're done.

I reckon Miles and Lloyd would be looking around, and likely have suitors. Both could easily play AFL at most clubs. If they had any brains Carlton would go for one of both of them - would strengthen the list and provide good leadership and protection for their kids. I'd expect a packet of chips (possibly open and already sampled) for them. Shai might be a goner to WA. In some ways a loss, but in other ways we should get a decent pick for him and we have cover in small forwards.

I'm expecting a fairly quiet trade and draft period, except if we can grease some wheels and help people get what they want in return for pick 1 :p:rainbow:. Maybe a pick upgrade here or there.

Problem for Bolton is that not only has he a trio of smalls well ahead of him in our AFL side but he now has Stengle snapping at his heels (some would even say slightly ahead) after arguably being some distance behind him at the start of the season.

Anyone know how the rookie lists work I know they have a amount of years that they can be rookies for before they need to be either delisted or elevated to the sr list

I think Chol and Moore would be getting close to a decision being made? But I’m not 100% sure if it’s this season or not

Back