Prediction Who's poised to be the disappointment/let down team of 2024?

Which team(s) will be the disappointment of 2024?

• Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.8%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 17 5.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 81 24.3%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • Essendon

Votes: 42 12.6%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Geelong

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 26 7.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 53 15.9%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • Richmond

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • GWS

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 21 6.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The question I have at this time of year is does anyone actually think their own side might slide this year?

It's peak optimism in February and 99% of fans expect their side to stay the same or improve and we all know that can't happen.

So does anyone think their own club will slide this season?

Last edited:

FWIW, here's the latest betting odds for teams to make top 8

$1.14 Collingwood
$1.17 Brisbane
$1.36 GWS Giants
$1.45 Carlton
$1.53 Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Sydney
$1.80 Adelaide
--------------------
$1.91 Geelong
$2.20 Bulldogs
$2.50 St Kilda
$2.75 Essendon, Gold Coast
$4.00 Fremantle
$5.00 Richmond
$6.00 Hawthorn
$15.00 North Melb, West Coast
These can't be Fadges odds coz he has Carlton at 13th, which means that their odds of making the top 8 at $2.75

The question I have at this time of year is does anyone actually think their own side might slide this year?

It's peak optimism in February and 99% of fans expect their side to stay the same or improve and well all know that can't happen.

13th doesnt give you many ladder rungs to slide but FWIW I have 2 major concerns that I think may push Richmond further down potentially to bottom 3

If Lynch plays less than half our games i cant see where our goals are coming from. Our fwd line is by far our weakest.

Also concerned that we have a full list (bar 4 changes last year) of players originally drafted based on a game plan of territory and ground ball rather than quick accurate kicking and precision that Yze is training for. We don't have the cattle to execute.

Defense is ok. Mid looks good on paper but slow and wrong skill set. Fwd is a mishmash.

Port Adelaide's defense looks suspect. Any team with a break even midfield and average fwd line should outscore them 7 or 8 times out of 10. Their draw in the 2nd half of the season is a nightmare and I can potentially see them losing blocks of 3 or 4 games in a row and the wheels falling off.

Carlton might slide but I'm bullish for them.

Freo could have a mare. It's got all those vibes again.

Melbourne are primed for the wheels to fall off.

Last edited:
im gonna say my team the dockers....

Go from semi final and a finals win in 2022 to 14th in 2023.

I see the dockers getting bottom 6 again in 2024.
But you wouldn’t be disappointed because that’s what you expect.
Freo would have to win the spoon to go below your expectations.
Freo shouldn’t be on this thread because the broad expectation of freo is btm 6.
Not on my expectations but from broader opinion I’d have:
Crows(hyped up as big mover top 6)
Will just miss 8 IMO

Carlton(top 4 locks grand finalist)
Btm half of 8 IMO

Hawks(finals contenders middle 6)
Btm 6 lock IMO

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These threads are gold. A team predicted on here to win the spoon the last two years, with a very long thread on whether we were tanking for Harley Reid, predicted to be "worse than Melbourne under Neeld" and ended up finishing 16th...

is going to be the big slider of 2024 :rolleyes: Good one guys.

They are the cockiest supporter base ever from a bottom 4 team aren't they...

Was tempted to vote for them but the Carlton option was non negotiable this year.
All teams have overly optimisic supporters, especially in February.

But I just went through the "Hawthorn to play finals in 2024" thread. Want to guess how many Hawthorn fans said they thought we would play finals in 2024?

Believe it or not: None (in 183 posts). A Collingwood supporter started the thread and the only people who said we would make finals were a couple of opposition supporters.

Without doubt the team that will let the most football supporters down this season is Richmond Tigers FC. Approximately 9.2 million opposition fans are praying, hoping and have talked themselves into expecting the "once" mighty Tigers to finalise their ladder positioning within the bottom 4. Come the end of the season they gunna be:

giphy.gif

Without doubt the team that will let the most football supporters down this season is Richmond Tigers FC. Approximately 9.2 million opposition fans are praying, hoping and have talked themselves into expecting the "once" mighty Tigers to finalise their ladder positioning within the bottom 4. Come the end of the season they gunna be:

giphy.gif
We’ll all be shattered if they surprise the critics and finish 12th

giphy.gif
Plodding into 13th spot will be quite the achievement

It's peak optimism in February and 99% of fans expect their side to stay the same or improve and we all know that can't happen.

Freo 2023 did us a favour and were tripe so we can't really go down. Makes being neutral or optimistic about 2024 a fairly safe practice for us this year.

Gold Coast. If the Dimma project fails....where to from there?
Easy answer. Just move on to 2025 :p

IMO, Suns will probably miss finals as it could take some some to implement a new plan and Dimma assesses the list. So far, some surprising players moves in intra club simulations.

We definitely won't slide back.It is either status quo or go up

That’s a great way to convince yourself North are in the same bracket as Hawthorn.

There’s daylight between the bottom two and the rest.

I've already got a bet going with someone but I reckon NMFC will finish above Hawthorn this year.

These threads are gold. A team predicted on here to win the spoon the last two years, with a very long thread on whether we were tanking for Harley Reid, predicted to be "worse than Melbourne under Neeld" and ended up finishing 16th...

is going to be the big slider of 2024 :rolleyes: Good one guys.
My interpretation is based on expectation from BF and media pundits.
I think hawks will improve and win a few more games
(2 teams were btm 6 in 2023 with 10 wins)
From what I read though the general consensus is hawks will be in the middle 6 which i don’t see happening

Back