Society/Culture Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Daily Mail article reports upon a study by Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario, Canada. (another Canadian Academic Psychologist but without a youtube presence). He looked at data from 2 UK studies testing child development. The subjects were
(a) 4,267 boys and 4,537 girls born in 1958;
(b) 3,412 boys and 3,658 girls born in 1970.

The tests were of
(c) verbal and non verbal intelligence; and
(d) cognitive abilities (number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words).

In both surveys, 23 years later, the same groups were asked to answer a series of questions about traditions, authority and attitudes toward other races. Hodson then postulated a definition of conservatism which is undefined but looks to be based upon attitudes towards Authority and other races and concluded that low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservtive ideologies.

I’d very cautious about accepting the conclusions drawn by Grin and his gaggle of applauders from the article helpfully posted by Mofra
So would I.

Here's a meta-analysis that's far more wide ranging.

There is a significant body of work on the subject. Assuming the entire concept is based off a single study is folly.

There is no such thing as a centrist. As it would be judged being halfway between the 2 major parties which does change over time, so centre to what?
Going by that logic, there's only people that lean left or right.

Of course there's a centre, sure there's much nuance in one persons view to another, that doesn't equate to no one being moderate.

For example, if you look at our (or any) liberal democratic society it is balanced. There are social elements that the 'centre' happily abides by and there are very liberal freedoms that they also happily accept and enjoy.

^These people are the majority, the centre. Centrists.

Those not in the centre are vocally in opposition to some of those social or liberal elements. They get all the msm and social media attention.

Going by that logic, there's only people that lean left or right.

Of course there's a centre, sure there's much nuance in one persons view to another, that doesn't equate to no one being moderate.

For example, if you look at our (or any) liberal democratic society it is balanced. There are social elements that the 'centre' happily abides by and there are very liberal freedoms that they also happily accept and enjoy.

^These people are the majority, the centre. Centrists.

Those not in the centre are vocally in opposition to some of those social or liberal elements. They get all the msm and social media attention.

Yes people lean one way or the other, not saying there aren’t shades of grey, but a centrist would be someone who takes the middle position of the major parties at all times.

Like being the middle of the Dems and republicans in America right now would make you fairly far right in my view.

Yes people lean one way or the other, not saying there aren’t shades of grey, but a centrist would be someone who takes the middle position of the major parties at all times.
Yeah that's the majority, if it isn't then parties like the Greens and phon would have the majority of the electoral vote. They don't.

The 'centre' is the majority, the bolded highlights that yes most of those in the centre will disagree with some of the major party policies, but they'll position themselves with those parties. Least worst option.

Rarely does anyone agree with all of the major parties policies, and those disagreements will vary from person to person.That doesn't equate to no one being centred.

There is no such thing as a centrist. As it would be judged being halfway between the 2 major parties which does change over time, so centre to what?

yes, there is.

They are called moderates. I am one generally.

I often swing between voting for Liberal and Labor in both state and federal elections. I voted for Scomo in 2019 and then Albo in 2022. In the NSW election I voted for Gladys in 2019, and Minns in 2023.

As it currently stands i think Albo is doing a s**t job, so i will likely swing back to Liberal, but i think Minns is doing a good job at a state level.

I am generally left wing on social issues, but right wing on economics, then there's a million nuances between.

But of course, there are people who only vote one side always, and refuse to even make an effort to understand opposing sides policies. These people are the ones who make the system s**t.

Last edited:
yes, there is.

I often swing between voting for Liberal and Labor in both state and federal elections. I voted for Scomo in 2019 and then Albo in 2022. In the NSW election I voted for Gladys in 2019, and Minns in 2023.

As it currently stands i think Albo is doing a s**t job, so i will likely swing back to Liberal, but i think Minns is doing a good job at a state level.

I am generally left wing on social issues, but right wing on economics, then there's a million nuances between.

But of course, there are people who only vote one side always, and refuse to even make an effort to understand opposing sides policies. These people are the ones who make the system s**t.
I'd be curious to know why.

Is it because you get a better tax break?
Is it because you think right-wing economics creates more jobs?
Is it because you think right-wing governments manage the economy better? As far as I understand it, the budget deficit blew up under Abbott and Morrison, and I don't think it was great under Turnbull either. So, not really sure how the LNP are better in this regard.

I'd say law and order is another big issue for people, too, with the LNP probably being seen as more "tough on crime" though I'm not sure that's true.

I'm in the weird position of supporting harsher punishments on violent criminals but also on making prisons more like they are in the Scandinavian countries and less like a *in Guantanamo Bay. If people think that's "soft" I'm not sure how 25+ years of solitary confinement isn't a tough punishment on these people.

Is it because you think right-wing governments manage the economy better? As far as I understand it, the budget deficit blew up under Abbott and Morrison, and I don't think it was great under Turnbull either. So, not really sure how the LNP are better in this regard.

I'd say law and order is another big issue for people, too, with the LNP probably being seen as more "tough on crime" though I'm not sure that's true.

I'm in the weird position of supporting harsher punishments on violent criminals but also on making prisons more like they are in the Scandinavian countries and less like a *in Guantanamo Bay. If people think that's "soft" I'm not sure how 25+ years of solitary confinement isn't a tough punishment on these people.

I am a white-collar manager, I will always lean towards liberal economics simply because they cater for my preferences.

yes, there is.

I think describing yourself as left wing socially but economically conservative is a massive cop out when nothing is contributing more to inequality in society than right wing economics. Voting yes on marriage equality doesn't make you progressive.

I think describing yourself as left wing socially but economically conservative is a massive cop out when nothing is contributing more to inequality in society than right wing economics. Voting yes on marriage equality doesn't make you progressive.
Rights and freedoms for everybody!
Economic privilege for some.

Just shows how inadequate using a single spectrum to denote all political thought is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i did not claim myself to be progressive nor do i really care to be. I also disagree that right wing economics is the main reason for inequality. Don't get me wrong, there are parts of it i dont like, but generally they suite me. For instance, i think negative gearing is a load of s**t.

I vote for what benefits my views. Thats why i have a vote, and you do to.

I couldn't give a rat's arse about being labelled as being progressive, i vote for what i think is right at the time in whatever situation i am in. If its Labor or Liberal, i generally dont care.

Last edited:
At least he’s honest, backing the horse of self interest.

I’m assuming he knows what’s better for his business.

It just isn’t necessarily what’s better for the country.

that is completely based on what your opinion is.

What you think is better for the country will likely differ to what i think it is.

Thats why everyone has a vote, and they should vote the way they want to.

Last edited:
that is completely based on what your opinion is.

What you think is better for the country will likely differ to what i think it is.

Thats why everyone has a vote, and they should vote the way they want to.

Why do you think higher debt and corruption under LNP government is good for you personally?

Why do you think higher debt and corruption under LNP government is good for you personally?

You say that like labor aren’t corrupt also?

If I was going to vote for a non corrupt party or one that was good at managing debt id be drawing a huge penis on the voting paper.

You say that like labor aren’t corrupt also?

If I was going to vote for a non corrupt party or one that was good at managing debt id be drawing a huge penis on the voting paper.

Can you provide some examples of Greens party corruption?

Voting for the duopoly every election isnt going to change anything.

Do you ever shop at Aldi?

Can you provide some examples of Greens party corruption?

They have never been in a position of power to be corrupt. But id imagine they would do it in a heartbeat given their ideology.

If you want to vote Greens vote for it guy, all the power to you. They do not suit me at all.

Greens will never get in power unless they do a deal with one of the major parties. So if you are voting for Greens all you are voting for is seats.

They have never been in a position of power to be corrupt. But id imagine they would do it in a heartbeat given their ideology.

If you want to vote Greens vote for it guy, all the power to you. They do not suit me at all.

Greens will never get in power unless they do a deal with one of the major parties. So if you are voting for Greens all you are voting for is seats.

If Greens had the balance of power, the major parties would have to negotiate. Seems like a good thing.

Repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results…… sounds familiar.

Well they did do 85-90% of what the initial plan was.

If that’s the worst crime of the current ALP govt in terms of broken promises they are doing better than any govt of recent memory.

My main criticism of them would be their tacit support of Israel, but I do begrudgingly understand America and the Israel lobby has us by the balls.

Also Dutton seems to want Israel to nuke Gaza.

Sorry but I’m waiting for my electricity bill to be reduced by $275. It has doubled

Also waiting on cost of living to be dealt with like Albo promised. It’s much worse.

Interest rate rises are neutral for me as I own my home, interest on my investment properties is tax deductible and I keep 25% of my portfolio in cash or bonds so it washes out

Tax cuts don’t impact me. With the right structure you never pay more than the corporate rate

Probably the third worst government in my lifetime behind ScoMo/Turnbull and Rudd. I exclude Gillard because I can’t fairly judge her

You need to check your understanding. Rudd/Gillard built in massive unfunded expenditure into the forward estimates. When Abbott was elected if he changed nothing debt was $600b+ after Rudd inherited no debt. Now Morrison overspent during COVID and destroyed Libs economic record but still screwed the budget less than Rudd

If Greens had the balance of power, the major parties would have to negotiate. Seems like a good thing.

Repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results…… sounds familiar.

Sure, but the Greens will never get the votes required, that is of course unless the Greens somehow convince people that capitalism is bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back