Why does your team suck?

Remove this Banner Ad

A stat that concerns the crap out of me is inside 50's in relation to the opposition.

1. Melbourne (12.3)
2. Richmond (10.2)
3. Hawthorn (6.7)
4. Collingwood (4.5)
5. West Coast (2.3)
6. Essendon (1.6)
7. Geelong (1.2)
8. Port Adelaide (0.8)
9. GWS (0.8)
10. Adelaide (0.5)
11. North Melbourne (-0.5)
12. Western Bulldogs (-1.9)
13. St Kilda (-2.1)
14. Brisbane (-4.2)
15. Sydney (-5.7)
16. Fremantle (-6.8)
17. Carlton (-10.2)
18. Gold Coast (-13.8)

Sydney are the only team in the top 8 in 2018 that was in the red when it came to inside 50's. It is clearly such an important stat and a stat where we are stuck with some of the worst teams in the competition.

For a team that has featured so regularly in the finals since the last flag in 2011, we sure seem to get spooked and have no answers when every other team's intensity goes up in September.

Flakiness is an issue, losing interstate games and games in Melbourne to lesser opposition on a consistent basis. Unless the game is in Geelong, you can't look at a late-season game, figure that the Cats are roughly equivalent or better on paper and they have a lot more to play for than the opposition and pencil in a win. And I'd love a stat that showed an average time the ball stays in your forward 50 per forward 50 entry, because I assume we'd be terrible there.

I remember when Collingwood supporters thought Buckley was s**t - even Simpson copped a lot from WCE supporters. Freo supporters love kicking Ross in the guts, yet forget he did get us to our first premiership. ANYTHING can happen in a season of football.
Ross can sell you guys ANYTHING!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naitanui did both knees in what should be his peak. For a team with a traditionally great track record with ruckmen, we became Jonathan Giles' 4th club, Drew Petrie came over as a 35 year old rookie, Fraser McInnes has played 14 games since 2012 (7 in 2015, another 7 in the 3 years since) and managed to sign another contract for next year. Scott Lycett wanted to be traded to Port Adelaide for family reasons and because we're a classy mob we let him go even though that left us looking pretty bare in the ruckman department.

Our starting ruckmen next year will be Nathan Vardy and Tom Hickey.

Naitanui did both knees in what should be his peak. For a team with a traditionally great track record with ruckmen, we became Jonathan Giles' 4th club, Drew Petrie came over as a 35 year old rookie, Fraser McInnes has played 14 games since 2012 (7 in 2015, another 7 in the 3 years since) and managed to sign another contract for next year. Scott Lycett wanted to be traded to Port Adelaide for family reasons and because we're a classy mob we let him go even though that left us looking pretty bare in the ruckman department.

Our starting ruckmen next year will be Nathan Vardy and Tom Hickey.
I've said it before but Hickey is the luckiest bloke in the game right now. Bog average player who will be first ruck in a premiership team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back