Will a big game from Ottens next week make him the best player we have lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
People will throw up Graham Teasdale but despite his win in the 1977 Brownlow he spent a number of years at Collingwood playing in the reserves.

Otto was always going to be a big loss but is he the biggest?.

potentially a three time premiership player who has already been big factor in important wins. A big game against an injury suspect Jolly if the difference would put him up there.

There have been plenty of good players who have left in..

Lambert
Maxfield
Peter Wilson (for IDGAF)

Raines is not a contender by the way because Im basing this on what they did afterwards and not what they were for us.

Raines couldnt stay at the same club until ending up in Brisbane. Cloke and Taylor can be considered.

Jesus man get over him I did...you remember what my first nick was when I joined here...ottenz, The bloke sold out for $$$$$ otherwise he'd be still with us.

Otters never looked comfortable at Richmond.

I remember seeing him interviewed after he was drafted. Couldn't have looked more disappointed!

Of his 7 seasons at Geelong, he's probably played 100 out of a possible 160 games. He was always a better player with us, was quicker, more athletic and a better kick at goal. But he probably played 120 of 150 with us too. Injury prone and looking for easy money and success over his mates :cool:

Of his 7 seasons at Geelong, he's probably played 100 out of a possible 160 games. He was always a better player with us, was quicker, more athletic and a better kick at goal. But he probably played 120 of 150 with us too. Injury prone and looking for easy money and success over his mates :cool:
Otto was smart enough to get out and probally the only thing he regrets is that he didnt go earlier.

Ottens left because we had a s**t culture. He at least had the balls to make a stand and leave. The Tigers were the ones to stupid to realise it. And two flags later, he has been vindicated.
To answer the OP, yes and throw in Maxfield and BT.

On Ottens, what stands out is that he seems to have been around for ages, but he will only turn 32 y/o next January. Was probably at his most athletic and 'brilliant' with the Tigers as a young man, but he has suffered some strange and problematic injuries to his back/groin and such with some oddball accidents (garden stakes, boat propellers etc).

He played as this link shows http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brad_Ottens.html

129 out of 157 games with the Tigers and

115 out of 170 games with Geelong, up to yesterday's game.

If he had the durability of a Goodes or a Brad Johnson he's be a 300-gamer now.

As it stands, he would have to be looked upon as an excellent player in his career, not a huge number of players play close to 250 games, and he could (hopefully) snag himself a third Premiership medallion.

To be honest, Geelong has had little success recruiting mature players to the club, our best ones have been blokes who have only played a few games before coming to Geelong (such as Sanderson, Harley, T.McGrath, B.Scholl, Mooney). I also think Ottens probably would have gone to Sydney anyway, from what i recall after 2004 he demanded to leave the Tigers for either the Swans or Geelong. So he could have simply become the Jolly of the Swans instead.

Jesus man get over him I did...you remember what my first nick was when I joined here...ottenz, The bloke sold out for $$$$$ otherwise he'd be still with us.

This is not a thread as to bagging the club or lamenting losing him but moreso rating players that we have let go over the years. All clubs lose good player but our list isnt that impressive or damning as the case should be. Its off the subject but I think its naive to think that money was the sole reason for him going.

Im over Darryl Freame and Dennis Collins but we still bring them up in discussion if the thread fits.

I was hoping for some names that might challenge him to help add to the list of

Cloke
Taylor
Maxfield
Lambert
Teasdale
Peter Wilson (Yes IDGAF he did some good things at WCE despite the Ayres jib in 91 GF)
Trevor Poole.

I agree with Jims AFL Genius in regards to winning finals single handedly. That to me means more than Teasdales Brownlow or Clokes Copeland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the best player we lost (though he did finish 3rd in the Brownlow after leaving), but from a point of view of pure heart and soul of the club Whale Roberts was probably the biggest loss from the club.

Teasedale was someone who probably surprised a bit with what he achieved once he left whereas Ottens we knew we were losing a top quality player.

Both the Teasedale and Cloke losses cost us for two generations. Teasedale was part of the Pitura trade and we got two generations of duds, with Cloke we lost two generations of CHFs.

the best playe we lost was butch edwards shame about his knees

Good name to bring up. I was looking for names like his that I couldnt think of.
Remember him and Carman taking us to the cleaners one day in the late seventies. Was it lack of opportunities? When he defected there was a picture of him in the HS posing behind a cage as if he was caged at Richmond and needed the change.

I dont believe he is in the class of many of the names mentioned but interesting one to throw into the mix.

OMG I thought we tried to trade him off???

Did Ottens cost us a premiership????

The only problem with Ottens leaving is we should have done it another year for a better draft pick(s)!!!!

From Frawley to maybe three premierships. Has a man every risen from the bowels of failure to the extent that Ottens may by 5pm Saturday.

Geelong players talk about their rise from difficulty. The Lonergan story about the loss of a kidney is nothing compared to Ottens. He started his career under FRAWLEY.

From Frawley to maybe three premierships. Has a man every risen from the bowels of failure to the extent that Ottens may by 5pm Saturday.

Geelong players talk about their rise from difficulty. The Lonergan story about the loss of a kidney is nothing compared to Ottens. He started his career under FRAWLEY.

Pretty sure he started under the geish!

made the AA team in 2001 under him too:eek:

This is not a thread as to bagging the club or lamenting losing him but moreso rating players that we have let go over the years. All clubs lose good player but our list isnt that impressive or damning as the case should be. Its off the subject but I think its naive to think that money was the sole reason for him going.

Im over Darryl Freame and Dennis Collins but we still bring them up in discussion if the thread fits.

I was hoping for some names that might challenge him to help add to the list of

Cloke
Taylor
Maxfield
Lambert
Teasdale
Peter Wilson (Yes IDGAF he did some good things at WCE despite the Ayres jib in 91 GF)
Trevor Poole.

I agree with Jims AFL Genius in regards to winning finals single handedly. That to me means more than Teasdales Brownlow or Clokes Copeland.

Hahaha, two absolute duds....oops I'm showing my age here!..;)

No a big game from Ottens in this GF will not make him the best player we have lost.....he is already the best player we have ever lost.
Found himself plunged into a basket case team back when we drafted him and his decision to want out has been vindicated to the max. Because had he stayed he would have had to endure a decade of s**t. An Ottens wasnt going to fix the problems that we had, so good luck to the dude....whatever the case, when his coach needs the supreme effort, he delivers it. Take a look at the GFs and the name Ottens is always included in the best. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back