Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton’s team is not good enough. End of story.
When is the last time a player other than the following put them team on their back and dragged them across the line?
Cripps
Curnow
Walsh
McKay (2 years ago)
Weitering
Doherty (last year maybe)
Saad

Relying on the same handful of guys every week.
After that there is a bunch of same same players. Then Guys like cottrell, Owies, Durdin, Kennedy, kemp, Pittonet, Boyd, hollands even McGovern - NONE of these players would get a minute of gametime at Collingwood or brisbane for pretty much the entire season if they were on either list. They would be permanent VFL players.

That’s the problem at Carlton.

the top end talent isn't the problem imo.

where is carlton's Alan Toovey, Will Schofield, Gary Rohan, Jack Graham?

it's your bottom six that wins you premierships.

I shouldn't say this in front of the cameras, but it's very, very difficult to see where we're going to lose a game

This narrative has now changed to, "It's very difficult to see where we are going to win a game"

I had these guys in my multi as making the top 4, along with the Pies, Brisbane and Melbourne. Well 3 out of 4 ain't bad...

When is the last time Carlton drafted a player with a late round pick or rookie pick that went on to be a genuine, established AFL player. Not even an AA level player - Like a solid, 150 game plus type that is a regular top 10 finisher in the B&F?
I can’t think of a single one in the last 12 or 13 years.
I would say Zach Tuohy was a very good example of this but they sent him to Geelong!
Maybe Ed Curnow but that’s a long time ago.

Contrast that to the good teams - Collingwood have an heap of late round gems.

It's a but sad how they're going, players like cripps, walsh, curnow deserve better.
They have wasted alot of money on Martin, Williams. At least they have a decent draft pick to help next year.

It reminds me of their last push with Juddy and co, got most of the pieces but can't put it together.

Their choices of drafting and coaching must be held accountable I'm assuming the same people are making the calls for the past 15 years because the same rubbish keeps repeating itself with Carlton.

I tipped Blues for top 4. On paper they look like a complete team. Top notch big forwards, elite midfield, and strong defence. So must be the coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It reminds me of their last push with Juddy and co, got most of the pieces but can't put it together.

Their choices of drafting and coaching must be held accountable I'm assuming the same people are making the calls for the past 15 years because the same rubbish keeps repeating itself with Carlton.
They stuffed that by trading Fevola. It wasn't really his fault he was drunk and in TV, that was on channel 9. They also gave up more than they should for Judd, as they wouldn't give up pick 1.
This time it is overpaying McGovern, Williams, Martin. They don't seem to have a very good contract negotiator in my view.
It seems like they aren't going to overpay TDK, maybe 2024,2025 will be there years

When is the last time Carlton drafted a player with a late round pick or rookie pick that went on to be a genuine, established AFL player. Not even an AA level player - Like a solid, 150 game plus type that is a regular top 10 finisher in the B&F?
I can’t think of a single one in the last 12 or 13 years.
I would say Zach Tuohy was a very good example of this but they sent him to Geelong!
Maybe Ed Curnow but that’s a long time ago.

Contrast that to the good teams - Collingwood have an heap of late round gems.
We can't even turn most first round picks into this type of player. Development has been diabolical for a decades.

I tipped Blues for top 4. On paper they look like a complete team. Top notch big forwards, elite midfield, and strong defence. So must be the coach?
Its both (coaching and players). Literally every player on the list bar Curnow, Cerra, Owies and Cottrell have gone backwards compared to last year, and the bottom end of the list isn't AFL standard.

Its not a top 4 list, but gee whiz I wouldn't have thought its a bottom 4 list either (which is we're well finish this year make no mistake). So yep coaching is also a big issue.

Its both (coaching and players). Literally every player on the list bar Curnow, Cerra, Owies and Cottrell have gone backwards compared to last year, and the bottom end of the list isn't AFL standard.

Its not a top 4 list, but gee whiz I wouldn't have thought its a bottom 4 list either (which is we're well finish this year make no mistake). So yep coaching is also a big issue.

Almost overachieved quite a bit last season from the last 10 rounds onwards to this year treaty's a fair sample size where your side is. As usual the sugar rush of the new coach lasted half a season and he's been found out like he was previously.

Carlton's biggest issue is the blokes traded in have come from losing cultures too, bar Hewett who has come from a winning side? This is a club and side that has accepted losing. It is why when you have presidents saying rebuild that's just a term for don't worry if we lose. Lets compare that message to even Hawthorn this year, who have wanted to WIN game. Have you every heard a Geelong president in the last 20 years saying rebuild, lets lose, etc?

Carlton need 3 guys on every end defender, mid, and FWD that know how to win. Gunston would have been perfect last year. You can't underestimate a winning culture.

Almost overachieved quite a bit last season from the last 10 rounds onwards to this year treaty's a fair sample size where your side is. As usual the sugar rush of the new coach lasted half a season and he's been found out like he was previously.

Carlton's biggest issue is the blokes traded in have come from losing cultures too, bar Hewett who has come from a winning side? This is a club and side that has accepted losing. It is why when you have presidents saying rebuild that's just a term for don't worry if we lose. Lets compare that message to even Hawthorn this year, who have wanted to WIN game. Have you every heard a Geelong president in the last 20 years saying rebuild, lets lose, etc?

Carlton need 3 guys on every end defender, mid, and FWD that know how to win. Gunston would have been perfect last year. You can't underestimate a winning culture.

Only Curnow, Walsh and Docherty have played to a satisfactory level. All the rest are completely devoid of confidence. They are second guessing themselves and in some circumstances, spooked at seizing the opportunity as they are worried about making a blunder.

In a strange way, this will actually turn out to be a benefit as they are at rock bottom and will come out and play a lot more freely knowing the pressure is no longer there to win. Everyone has essentially given up on them.

Carlton need to bring in older veterans who know how to win and bring leadership.

Melbourne did it by bringing in Cross, Vince and Lewis to help mentor the younger players, and Brisbane did it by bringing in Hodge and Birchall.

Essendon even did similar by bringing in James Kelly and Paul Chapman. I'm not sure why Carlton haven't tried this?

I'm not sure why Carlton haven't tried this?
They haven't needed to. Apparently their list is primed to contend for premierships as it is.... didn't you listen to the Carlton faithful during the off season?

Carlton 2022
Plus Blake Acres
Plus a better run with injuries
Plus internal development from their youth
Plus a second pre-season under Voss
Equals multiple years of sustained success.

Or so we were reliably informed, and if you didn't subscribe to it you were merely a sad troll.....

Last edited:
Everyone said Carlton were going to bolt from mid table to top 4 this year but instead they're bolting towards the bottom 4. Maybe these people were right all along and they merely had their crystal balls upside down.

They haven't needed to. Apparently their list is primed to contend for premierships as it is.... didn't you listen to the Carlton faithful during the off season?

Carlton 2022
Plus Blake Acres
Plus a better run with injuries
Plus internal development from their youth
Plus a second pre-season under Voss
Equals multiple years of sustained success.

Or so we were reliably informed, and if you didn't subscribe to it you were merely a sad troll.....
Carlton seem primed for a premiership assault after beating the top 2 in Collingwood and Port in recent weeks.

It seems as though we're beginning to see the affects of Voss and his nourishments pay off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back