Will the Tim Kelly trade go down as one of the worst ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends what we end up with. West Coast has a proven commodity. Ablett for two first rounders looked like a pretty good deal for someone who was 100% gone until it turned out the players were Josh Caddy (who did pretty much nothing of note until he left Geelong) and Billie Smedts, who pretty much did nothing of note full stop. Ottens for two first rounders looked pretty good for Richmond too, but unfortunately for them those two first rounders combined to play well under 100 games in their AFL careers.

If I had a choice between the picks or Kelly now I'd take Kelly. Of course, if that pick turns out to be top 5 that changes the equation a bit. It's a weird season but I wouldn't be writing off WCE, Col, or Rich just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong gets Picks 14, 24, 37 and the Eagles’ future first-round pick

West Coast gets Tim Kelly, Pick 52 and the Cats’ future third-round pick

Pick 14: Became pick 16, Cooper Stephens. Wait and see what happens there.

Pick 24: Became pick 27, and in a deal the Eagles really couldn't imagine would happen the Suns traded their 2020 mid first round pick for that pick. Potentially great deal for the Cats but I don't think you blame the Eagles for that one.

Pick 37: Used as part of the Jenkins deal.

In general, pick 27 (post academy) and 37 for 52 and maybe 50 (future 3rd rounder) really isn't a huge advantage.

If the Eagles rally and make finals - Tim Kelly for 16, another pick outside the top 10 in an academy and covid impacted draft and a downgrade of later picks is usually going to work out better for the team getting the gun player.

I was surprised the Cats didn't ask for the Eagles to do the dirty work rounding the picks up in a higher pick, but the deal they made with the Suns has now achieved a lot of that. And hey - the reason the Eagles list was in such a strong position to give up a lot for one player was because they made their own great deal with the Suns a few years ago.

Geelong are in a strong position, but as long as the Eagles make finals they won't be too upset.

Not even the worst trade last year, Adelaide gave away Geenwood for peanuts which is worse then getting a genuine gun for a fair price

Not even the first time we've done that, see Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back