Analysis With so many clubs in jeopardy during the coronavirus, is it time for WA to bail out VIC again?

Remove this Banner Ad

East Perth applied to be part of the VFL in 1980.

A Combined South and East Fremantle applied in 1987. The application was rejected by the WAFC.

Quality Players were leaving the WAFL to play VFL. Two reasons, money and a chance to play at a higher level.

WAFC knowing that a WAFL club would get a license pretty soon, decided to go with a combined team what we know as West Coast.

Captain Pedantic here but the WAFC only came into existence in 1989. But yep the timeline of events is right.

Footy in WA did stumble onto a system that works by accident in many regards. WC was an experiment in setting up a footy club in a national comp from scratch, and everyone who actually knows footy history knows that our "state team" of the early 90s came mostly via drafting unproven WA kids because we had to. The WAFC was cobbled together when IPL (WC) went **** up and after a rocky start for Freo (start up concessions an AFL thing, and access to the WAFL in 1994 not worth nearly as much as 1986 given the change that had occurred) we have two financially strong AFL clubs with licenses held by the WAFC, and a complete WAFL with strong development pathways via the Colts system.

Compare that to Victoria and with 10 AFL teams, the VFL and NAB League they are still trying to find the right model. It's not that footy is in trouble there by any means, but there has been a lot of change over the last 20-30 years from reserves and U/19s to club affiliations in the VFL to the current version of the VFL which is basically a reserves comp with a couple of other teams thrown in - and is separate to the NAB League. Tasmania, Murray, Bendigo, North Ballarat all spent time in the VFL and now it's just a Melbourne comp + Geelong. The AFL have also reorganised footy in NSW/Qld considerably and established the NEAFL. From this year (well, next year I guess) the NAB League is now 18 teams and includes U/18 sides from the the 4 NSW/Qld AFL sides plus Tassie are back.

lots of very insecure Viccos in this thread

time to put your big pants on and accept facts

Facts???

What Facts-- all I've been reading in this thread is opinions and hyperbole.

Compare that to Victoria and with 10 AFL teams, the VFL and NAB League they are still trying to find the right model. It's not that footy is in trouble there by any means, but there has been a lot of change over the last 20-30 years from reserves and U/19s to club affiliations in the VFL to the current version of the VFL which is basically a reserves comp with a couple of other teams thrown in - and is separate to the NAB League. Tasmania, Murray, Bendigo, North Ballarat all spent time in the VFL and now it's just a Melbourne comp + Geelong. The AFL have also reorganised footy in NSW/Qld considerably and established the NEAFL. From this year (well, next year I guess) the NAB League is now 18 teams and includes U/18 sides from the the 4 NSW/Qld AFL sides plus Tassie are back.

I don’t think that’s 100% correct. The NAB League has always been a huge success and provided a majority of the AFL’s draftees. There’s no trying to find a model there, it’s been a strong and stable competition for decades which is why they try to expand it to other states.

There’s of course been the problem of what to do with AFL reserves but that’s not a Vic issue, it’s been an issue in every state.

Facts???

What Facts-- all I've been reading in this thread is opinions and hyperbole.

Western Australians consider their conspiracy theories to be facts.

We let them keep believing that for the LOLs.

Because when the economy in 12 months from now is rivalling The Great Depression sinking a couple of billion dollars into a footy comp isnt going to be on the Federal Governments priority list when they are already in 70+ billion of debt themselves.

Banks and governments only bail out key industries and then they need a plan which doesn't waste money.

AFL will get loans and bail out funds but wasting money on club's or minor competitions who continue to fail economically following the same buainess model wont be tollerated.

Based on the AFL's terms of 3.3% interest on any loaned money from October and AFL control of all clubs who need to loan:

GWS & GC should be left to their own devices, sink/swim or fold imo.

You can't hold a gun to the head of the majority of the clubs, yet have these two recieve $25m+ per ann, no questions asked.

I've been absolutely apposed to losing any clubs to this point, give the amount poured into them already, but enoughs enough.

Based on the AFL's terms of 3.3% interest on any loaned money from October and AFL control of all clubs who need to loan:

GWS & GC should be left to their own devices, sink/swim or fold imo.

You can't hold a gun to the head of the majority of the clubs, yet have these two recieve $25m+ per ann, no questions asked.

I've been absolutely apposed to losing any clubs to this point, give the amount poured into them already, but enoughs enough.

Worst comes to worst with Gold Coast, they can always merge or be absorbed by the Southport Sharks who are worth millions.

Richmond fans consider themselves relevant again after decades of faiilure.

We let them believing that for the Lols ;) :cool:

Always been relevant my friend its called 100+ years of history and 12 premierships, no one stays up forever or down for that matter we have had our ups and downs and i remember saying for god knows how long the wheel will eventually turn after 20+ years of crap, some of my family and friend's didn't believe me but 2 flags in 3 years my point validated.

On another note;

AFL to take unprecedented control’ of clubs with claims only FOUR could survive without help

"And to underline the increasing differences between the ''haves'' and the ''have nots'', the wealthier clubs such as West Coast, Richmond and Collingwood - disenchanted at having to follow receivership rules - have achieved a special clause in the new agreement. This will exempt them from having to regularly open their books to head office.
Only four clubs - West Coast, Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood - could potentially survive a football-free season without borrowing from the AFL.

I don’t think that’s 100% correct. The NAB League has always been a huge success and provided a majority of the AFL’s draftees. There’s no trying to find a model there, it’s been a strong and stable competition for decades which is why they try to expand it to other states.

There’s of course been the problem of what to do with AFL reserves but that’s not a Vic issue, it’s been an issue in every state.

I'm not saying the NAB League/TAC Cup isn't successful in its own right (it's the highest standard U/18s comp in the country), but it's disconnected from other levels of footy. In WA if you are any good you make junior development squads, then play WAFL Colts, then WAFL Reserves, then WAFL League.

In Vic let's say you are good enough to play for Calder Cannons (footy factory!). Then what? If you are good enough to be drafted you catapult into the AFL system and then end up playing VFL/NEAFL/SANFL/WAFL until you are ready. But if you turn 19 and don't get drafted it's not an obvious progression. With 10 AFL teams, 15 VFL teams and 12 NAB League teams there isn't a natural fit. There is some VFL/NAB League affiliation but you don't see Stephen Coniglios and Nic Naitanuis killing it at VFL level pre-draft. For a basketball comparison we are like Europe, Vic is like the USA. Luka Doncic in WA would be playing WAFL League at 16. In Vic he'd be playing U/18s until drafted and only competing against kids.

There is no one size fits all. We still have the 8 WAFL teams that existed in 1986 because there are only two AFL sides here. If we had half a dozen AFL teams I doubt the WAFL could sustain 12 teams, and if it was 6 AFL-affiliates vs 3 Port Melbournes the comp would be lopsided.

Always been relevant my friend its called 100+ years of history and 12 premierships, no one stays up forever or down for that matter we have had our ups and downs and i remember saying for god knows how long the wheel will eventually turn after 20+ years of crap, some of my family and friend's didn't believe me but 2 flags in 3 years my point validated.

On another note;

AFL to take unprecedented control’ of clubs with claims only FOUR could survive without help

"And to underline the increasing differences between the ''haves'' and the ''have nots'', the wealthier clubs such as West Coast, Richmond and Collingwood - disenchanted at having to follow receivership rules - have achieved a special clause in the new agreement. This will exempt them from having to regularly open their books to head office.
Only four clubs - West Coast, Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood - could potentially survive a football-free season without borrowing from the AFL.

Written by Thouces herself.

I love how she's placed Richmond in the same sentence as West Coast from a financial perspective....

Written by Thouces herself.

I love how she's placed Richmond in the same sentence as West Coast from a financial perspective....

Obviously, comprehension isn't your strong point, understand the article before posting incorrect assertions. it's not a competition there are 4 teams who could survive the 2020 season if it didn't go ahead.

Oh ok perhaps this article from fox sports would be more to your liking lol

Obviously, comprehension isn't your strong point, understand the article before posting incorrect assertions. it's not a competition there are 4 teams who could survive the 2020 season if it didn't go ahead.

Oh ok perhaps this article from fox sports would be more to your liking lol

Heath O'Laughlin (Nths media manager) has already stated on twitter that the article is bullshit from North's perspective and is demanding a written retraction from Wilson.

Looks like shes done it again.

Her credibility is zero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only four AFL clubs would be able to survive through 2020 without help from the league and HQ will need to take further control of their bank accounts, reports Nine. West Coast, Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood are the teams said to be financially strong enough to keep operating if there is no 2020 season and the AFL does not fund the clubs.

What does BigFooty think of this?

Heath O'Laughlin (Nths media manager) has already stated on twitter that the article is bullshit from North's perspective and is demanding a written retraction from Wilson.

Fox Sports have also written their own story on this matter.

What i will say is my reply was more so correcting your flimsy attempt to troll Richmond (Rich/west coast), Once i noticed you were a north fan that explained it all in regards to your post, as north fans detest caro.

I am surprised that Adelaide are not on that list.
They’re close.

“The league reportedly has $600 million on offer and if the AFL season begins by early August, the Bombers, Bulldogs and “potentially” the Crows would join the Eagles, Tigers, Hawks and Magpies as able to survive without borrowing.”

Also says North and GC likely won’t be financially solvent in two weeks time if the AFL doesn’t step in.

What i will say is my reply was more so correcting your flimsy attempt to troll Richmond (Rich/west coast), Once i noticed you were a north fan that explained it all in regards to your post, as north fans detest caro.

Why would I troll West Coast?

They have a $100m+ in assets and post bigger annual profits than the AFL do.

They are projecting to have more assets than the AFL in about 15 years.

There's not a sporting club in Australia financially in the same discussion as West Coast.

Thats my point, yet Caro has inserted Richmond and West Coast in the same sentence continually over the last week on multiple platforms.

You aren't.

Which he also addressed.

They are quoting the facts from within her article as the basis for theirs.

Fox Sports aren't the only ones running with Caro's "facts"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back