Analysis With so many clubs in jeopardy during the coronavirus, is it time for WA to bail out VIC again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes i agree. This has nothing to do with Premierships. It never is (Fitzroy had 8 and went under and the Lions were gifted draft picks after winning 3 in a row!).

This is about finance now.

So what is the point JinmboJones of debating how valid flags are (which is pointless in itself anyway)? And how does it relate to your speculation?

So what is the point JinmboJones of debating how valid flags are (which is pointless in itself anyway)? And how does it relate to your speculation?
Wait - what? I didn't speculate anything.I just agreed with you that "flags" are meaningless, especially now when jobs are on the line.

Oh, hang on. You think I'm jimbojones - got it. It was a drive-by misfire.
Read the post again. Flags are not meaningless btw.
Really? So, the accountant does the books at the end of each month and there's a drop-down menu for "flags".

I guess that's a new taxey thingy.. like Ozark or something.

Please.

We're talking about jobs, income and people's livelyhoods. Keep your "flags" for another day.

They play hit n' giggle cricket now.

Imagine facing Roberts, Croft, Garner and Holding. That might put a dent in your averages.
On pitches that aren't roads like Australia produce more often than not now

Oh, hang on. You think I'm jimbojones - got it. It was a drive-by misfire.

Really? So, the accountant does the books at the end of each month and there's a drop-down menu for "flags".

I guess that's a new taxey thingy.. like Ozark or something.

Please.

We're talking about jobs, income and people's livelyhoods. Keep your "flags" for another day.

No I don't think your'e jinmbo, was merely using the reply to ask the op the question. Apologies for the confusion

Just because flags are regarded does not make it flags fault covid-19. I agree with the seriousness of this crisis, that does not make flags anymore or less.

Pokies and Tassie tax payers, Why the f*ck we didn't just let then fold with Fitzroy is beyond me.

At least the Lions had a whole island backing them. The Hawks had... um.. Don Scott... yay

Okay cool.

But for the record Hawthorn has been one of the three strongest Victorian clubs off field since at least 2001 (just check their annual reports)

Not sure you’ve picked the right target with Hawthorn, along with West Coast and Collingwood they have collected the lowest dividend from the AFL since at least 2006.

They have one of the largest memberships (in every season with the exception of 2018-19 since 2008 they’ve been in the top 2), are one of the rare clubs that own freehold land outright and raised $20m from supporters and donors for their own facilities without any support from the AFL or state government

Western Australian people amuse me, for 85 per cent of their existence they have been the ugly step child of the country. Then Gina’s father found red soil and the sandy city found its

Which is super and stuff, but what happens when the alternatives replace commodities?

Every club has its challenges, but that’s neither here nor there...

West Coast are a great club (we just won’t talk about 1991 or 2015 okay ;) ) but the only reasoning for the angry I can understand is that the berth of Eagles coincided with the deaths of those iconic clubs like Claremont and Subiaco.

The WAFL was a distant 3rd behind the VFL and SANFL and no one really cared :(

I can't even... why do people type such s**t on forums. I suppose to get a reaction? Yep - you got mine. Please, do some reading or something.. people like you pollute bf with this crap and make it s**t.

The WAFL was a competition struggling financially, with 7 out of 8 being pretty much insolvent. It had been described as a soup kitchen, "surviving on handouts just about every week". For some time they had been keeping afloat by way of transfer fees paid by Vic clubs for their best talent, and with half the VFL clubs also facing serious financial difficulty, the situation wasn't good for them. With low attendances, the WAFL was struggling for relevance and shuffled the fixture mid-season in 86 to try and address it. Getting a VFL license saved that comp's butt.

Sorry you didn't know the history of the situation. Perhaps you should take some of your own advice.

But for the record Hawthorn has been one of the three strongest Victorian clubs off field since at least 2001 (just check their annual reports)
It's not a secret mate, not sure why you're being so defensive. Those of us who were alive in the 70s, 80s and 90's remember it. It's not a vilification, just that the Hawks and Dees were close to merging. - fact.
(just check their annual reports)
I have. https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...UMtrfVaYMiRul6wUAIsHBz0Fpyl-f45dyIWlzC--iDi6w
Western Australian people amuse me, for 85 per cent of their existence they have been the ugly step child of the country.
Really? First landing. First Dutch. First Gold rush. Left for WWI from WA (albany). First female Premier.. I could go on... (but not mention Bon Scott or INXS).
like Claremont
We're still alive and strong thank you. Just finished a major upgrade to CFC. Check it out below, we're very proud.

imgres-1.jpg

The WAFL was a competition struggling financially, with 7 out of 8 being pretty much insolvent. It had been described as a soup kitchen, "surviving on handouts just about every week". For some time they had been keeping afloat by way of transfer fees paid by Vic clubs for their best talent, and with half the VFL clubs also facing serious financial difficulty, the situation wasn't good for them. With low attendances, the WAFL was struggling for relevance and shuffled the fixture mid-season in 86 to try and address it. Getting a VFL license saved that comp's butt.

Sorry you didn't know the history of the situation. Perhaps you should take some of your own advice.
By the mid 1980s, all WAFL clubs struggled to draw more than 4000 a match. They were an absolute basketcase...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a secret mate, not sure why you're being so defensive. Those of us who were alive in the 70s, 80s and 90's remember it. It's not a vilification, just that the Hawks and Dees were close to merging. - fact.

I have. https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...UMtrfVaYMiRul6wUAIsHBz0Fpyl-f45dyIWlzC--iDi6w

Really? First landing. First Dutch. First Gold rush. Left for WWI from WA (albany). First female Premier.. I could go on... (but not mention Bon Scott or INXS).

We're still alive and strong thank you. Just finished a major upgrade to CFC. Check it out below, we're very proud.

View attachment 852660

That’s super.

Claremont is the local ‘footy’ club that has local butcher as a major sponsor, plays games in a local park and have a regular sausage sizzle on match days right?

Gotta love that red dirt, except when residential prizes floor it every time the arse falls out of the commodity markets

We (Claremont), Subi and South were fine. Willing to pay the 5m for the licence in 85 (there's a book on this). The Western Australian Football Com. stepped in and the rest is history (and the Eagles, which were a bees dick away from being call The Perth Eagles - also a book on this - and I was there and co-writer)

Low attendances weern't a thing just for the WALF. VFL, QFL, TFL and NSWFL were all suffering. The SANFL were probably the best off (financially), but the licence that was issued to them was rejected by the AFC (Port were also a bees dick away from taking it - Graham Cornes can tell you better than I can, he was there as well).

Anyway, I think it's an interesting part of footy history - maybe the most, but the best judge is your eyes. Rewind some footage from the early 80s and look at a game at Moorabin, Junction, Lathlain or Unley. Then tell me if the game is better or worse.

And cut the Vic verses WA crap - we're all in this together mate.

That’s super.

Claremont is the local ‘footy’ club that has local butcher as a major sponsor, plays games in a local park and have a regular sausage sizzle on match days right?

Gotta love that red dirt, except when residential prizes floor it every time the arse falls out of the commodity markets
Mate, I barracked for Hawks and Tigers. We were as poor as each other. Who are you kidding? Watched any 84 H/A footage of Waverly?

eg Steve Molaxos was paid more to play at CFC than HFC. Moss left Ess to come home for more money, Darryl Panizza rejected an offer from Geelong for more money at the Tigers. It's all there mate. Just had to be there.

We (Claremont), Subi and South were fine. Willing to pay the 5m for the licence in 85 (there's a book on this). The Western Australian Football Com. stepped in and the rest is history (and the Eagles, which were a bees dick away from being call The Perth Eagles - also a book on this - and I was there and co-writer)

From what I've read, South Freo were in one of the worst financial positions.

I was responding to a chest beating OP about how WA saved the VFL. The reality is the WAFL clubs had been suckling at the tit of the VFL in terms of transfer fees for quite some time and the comp was in trouble. What saved the VFL and the WAFL was having the comp go national.

By the mid 1980s, all WAFL clubs struggled to draw more than 4000 a match. They were an absolute basketcase...
Sydney in it's hey-day. We were all battling mate, Get your head out of the sand.

Check out the attendance fig.... mate that's friends and family.

Sydney24.21 (165)Melbourne14.13 (97)SCG7,94225 August 1985

And each year West Coast contribute about 4 million dollars to grassroots footy in WA through the WAFC royalty, ensuring that footy in WA stays healthy and viable.

No other club does more for footy than West Coast, and as supporters we get rewarded with consistent success on and off the field.

-4 flags from 7 grand finals
-24 finals series from 34 seasons
- Brand new facilities
- Brand new stadium
- 8 million in profits from 102 million revenue in 2019

On the other, Melbourne made a 2 million dollar loss and has attendances and membership plummet last year. The Demons are the competition vagrants with their admin and training base 25KM apart.

Just like the ole Roy boys, it's going to be a slow and painful death for the oldest club in the league.
What a self centred arrogant statement. Compared to Melbourne your plastic, laboratory created, corporate franchise history is bordering on insignicant compared to Melbourne, hell your jumper was designed by a commercial artist on a PC for God sake.

And cut the Vic verses WA crap - we're all in this together mate.

I agree, kinda difficult though in a thread that is obviously a toy throw. Of course it's gonna get reaction and then posters (including the op) regurgitate irrelevant bs like how relevant flags are, or mentions of failed mergers, or mentions of near extinctions, or spewing rubbish about a local butcher being a major sponsor, or commodities! (insert eye roll here). Fargin hilarious.

All of which have nothing to do with a some sort of future speculation that is a wish from the op rather than any sort of reality.

It's just a click bait thread, and frankly gonna have to stock up on the popcorn. It's great! Please stay in your shitfight with the hawk.

I'll keep bumping for the lols.

And I dont think your argument holds, Bulldogs would have had heaps of exposure after winning a premiership not too long ago.

Bulldogs are now out of debt, and have sold their pokies.

What was holding a number of clubs back was the rotten Etihad stadium deals. We actually made more profit from playing games at Whitten Oval. Playing clubs like Freo and West Coast that don’t have a large group of supporters at these interstate games, due to the travel meant we would often have to pay Etihad not keep the gate takings.

That’s what we mean when we sat we paid for the AFL’s biggest asset. It is also the reason we got a bigger slice of the equalisation fund.

Since winning the premiership, we are in a much stronger financial position enough that we can weather the storm without an AFL handout if we play games in August. Also since we are much stronger economically, I believe the equalisation fund has been reduced also taking into account that we are making a lot of money through Ballarat.

What a self centred arrogant statement. Compared to Melbourne your plastic, laboratory created, corporate franchise history is bordering on insignicant compared to Melbourne, hell your jumper was designed by a commercial artist on a PC for God sake.

He knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I love that this is the only line that detractors can throw at us. That's all anyone can throw at us, that we're a plastic franchise.
Melbourne hasn't done s**t for over 50 years. Any of Melbourne achievements that are noteworthy were accomplished in a second rate state league which was played on suburban grounds by part time Athletes.

West Coast are the trailblazers of the National era of football. Every achievement is a first for our national competition, first non-Victorian to reach a grand final, first Non-Victorian club to win a flag.

We have 4 AFL Flags, achieve consistent success and have established ourselves as the financial powerhouses of the competition, with one of the biggest membership bases.

That's a pretty good history if you ask me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back