WRFL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs have gone away from the big name afl players. Cost too much and very rarely put back into the club.
Clubs go for the younger VFL player who has 7-10 years left.
Perhaps it’s time for our two local football competitions intermittently overlapping each other’s peripheral hinterland to have a chat. Yes, I’m suggesting dialogue between WRFL and EDFL to formulate a merged competition.

I understand that Essendon FL won’t allow clubs into their sphere if they are not promoting/teaching/developing junior footballers? Therefore mercenaries, in the main, are trimmed from the competition.

Essendon also won’t allow junior teams to play in their competition if their senior teams are in another competition, viz PEGS and St Snowdogs (VAFA with juniors are welcomed in the WRFL). There are other examples of which we are all aware concerning both of our local competitions.

Examples: -

The higher divisions of a newly proclaimed NWFA [for the want of a suitable acronym] (NorthWest Football Alliance) consist only of clubs with junior teams.

Lower divisions could consist of clubs without juniors, no promotion to the higher 3 or 4 divisions until that club has a viable junior pathway, thus ensuring local junior development and, suppressing mercenaries.

Clubs without juniors have their promotion/relegation within their sections.

Juniors could be run either as WRFL, EDFL (or a combine).

After a set period, say 3 years, the two competitions, if it’s not working would split back into their former competitions, or if it works and everybody’s happy, just leave it.

Just thinking.

Perhaps it’s time for our two local football competitions intermittently overlapping each other’s peripheral hinterland to have a chat. Yes, I’m suggesting dialogue between WRFL and EDFL to formulate a merged competition.

I understand that Essendon FL won’t allow clubs into their sphere if they are not promoting/teaching/developing junior footballers? Therefore mercenaries, in the main, are trimmed from the competition.

Essendon also won’t allow junior teams to play in their competition if their senior teams are in another competition, viz PEGS and St Snowdogs (VAFA with juniors are welcomed in the WRFL). There are other examples of which we are all aware concerning both of our local competitions.

The higher divisions of a newly proclaimed NWFA [for the want of a suitable acronym] (NorthWest Football Alliance) consist only of clubs with junior teams.

Lower divisions could consist of clubs without juniors, no promotion to the higher 3 or 4 divisions until that club has a viable junior pathway, thus ensuring local junior development and, suppressing mercenaries.

After a set period, say 3 years, the two competitions, if it’s not working would split back into their former competitions, or if it works and everybody’s happy, just leave it.

Just thinking.
I’ll have to rebut u and say the only reason why st Bernard’s and probably pegs aren’t in the EDFL is because Abers stopped them happening. Has nothing to do with seniors.
Abers don’t want them in the league because they are worried that they will lose players to Bernard’s.

Just thinking.

Could you imagine driving from Fawkner to Wyndhamvale?

It’s not as easy as some think.

Luke Dahlhaus signed at Pt Cook. Huge for them.

Just thinking.
A lot of what you said makes sense. Penalizing a team without juniors to lower divisions needs to be balanced on the demographic of the area they are in. i.e. Deer Park is an old area with very few families growing up in the area. Hence, tough ask on the juniors. Anything below under 18's should be treated in isolation to seniors, 2nds & thirds.

There is a player in the wrfl who I believe should be playing AFL and who is perhaps the important type of player in any side. Treated horrendously by the umpires week in week out. He is quick, very skilful off both wings and a very smart alround footballer. I would be interested in your opinion of Spiros Amarantidis from Deer Park.

There is a player in the wrfl who I believe should be playing AFL and who is perhaps the important type of player in any side. Treated horrendously by the umpires week in week out. He is quick, very skilful off both wings and a very smart alround footballer. I would be interested in your opinion of Spiros Amarantidis from Deer Park.
Surely you jest?

Average player, shitter bloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Average player, shitter bloke

I would not have him in the average category at all, bloke CAN play! Wouldn’t suggest at AFL level however.
Will never be an umpire favourite with his suspect on field actions and mouth, he lets himself down time and time again unfortunately, I would say that’s where the second call has come from but you could’ve probably had more tact than that.

Massive get, they’ll be a powerhouse in years to come.
Very good player. Would have to be exceptional to play at AFL level but I dare say there’d be quite a few of his type that are ahead of him. If you were talking about McHarg a few years back, different story.

Haven’t seen him umpired any better or worse than anyone else but that’s only on a few games per year. Can be an absolute pest but backs it up. Don’t know where the shit bloke stuff comes from, those who know him don’t think so.

The merger idea is not far-fetched. A merger was part of Football Victoria's plans as far back as 25 years ago.

I know someone who worked there years ago and said to me that FV's plan was to have five metro comps - Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western, as well as the VAFA.

The Diamond Valley was to become the Northern FL (which it did after AFL Vic had to take over the DVFL), while we already had the Southern FL and Eastern FL at that stage.

The idea was that the then-Footscray District FL and the Essendon District FL would merge and become the Western FL. Had FV gotten its way back then, we would have been doing those trips for the last 20 years or so.

The merger idea is not far-fetched. A merger was part of Football Victoria's plans as far back as 25 years ago.

I know someone who worked there years ago and said to me that FV's plan was to have five metro comps - Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western, as well as the VAFA.

The Diamond Valley was to become the Northern FL (which it did after AFL Vic had to take over the DVFL), while we already had the Southern FL and Eastern FL at that stage.

The idea was that the then-Footscray District FL and the Essendon District FL would merge and become the Western FL. Had FV gotten its way back then, we would have been doing those trips for the last 20 years or so.
I remember watching Glenorden v Fawkner in the WRFL in the mid 1990s. Nothing too far with the Ring Road.
that would have been Coburg Districts and it would take about a hour to get there, even longer to Wyndhamvale you would not get juniors sides travelling that far

that would have been Coburg Districts and it would take about a hour to get there, even longer to Wyndhamvale you would not get juniors sides travelling that far

Nup, was Fawkner (have 1996 fixture book), but more importantly, my point is I don't think the distances from the EDFL's furthest away to the WRFL's furthest away would make any merger unworkable. Any merger probably seniors only, you wouldn't ask parents to drive their kids that far.

Attachments

• 20221012_202848.jpg
    20221012_202848.jpg
    737.9 KB · Views: 125
Fawkner was in the league as well, I believe for a single season in 1996 when they made the Div 2 GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back