WRFL Div. 2 Season 2008 and Beyond Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i look forward to the return of the silk to his old stomping ground and also to catch up with a few great blokes from yarra in danny 'vince collosimo' grouise and sniffa. i am sure it will be a great game and i invite all the yarra boys (especially the old vales boys) to hang around and have 5 or 10 beers hahaha and buy a ticket to our $1000 draw....

anyway cant wait for the weekend and keep ya ears to the ground boys mad monday isnt far away hahahahaha

looks like i'll be on the wrong side of the fence on saturday ev.......the hammy went ping tonight :mad:

u guys have to get the job done first caintrain.........its not all smooth sailing knakers.......

Thats true, a hard game coming up this week and we look having a few miss out too with Injury and i am more than likely not to play due to injury. Yarra are in the box seat as a win means we will play finals and even with a few out injured we should still have the goods to take care of Evos mob but with Laurie back they may be a totally diffrent opponent and we understand that this is not going to be a walk in the park even tho we touched them up last time.

just plucked an old footy record from 89 out whilst lookin for some personal items and interesting to see how far the wrfl have come since then with the loss and possible extinction of the following teams , in no particular order

east brunswick
wembley park
flemington
anby
coburg newlands
braybrook ycw
raaf laverton
ascot vale
sandridge
kingsville

and thats for a2 section 2 and a3 divisions only, throw on top of that clubs that dont appear in ladders area at the back of the fixture

seddon
williamstown united
altona central
newport
west newport

theres prob more but they are the first to come to mind

lindsay and 3 staff must of been busy back in the old days , oh but they didnt have the worry of accreditations, web tv shows, radio shows, property divisions or propping up the league ahead of the clubs:D

long live the chook raffle!!

oh and fancy that, we got footy records back in 89, more work for lindsays staff

1983 A/4
Braybrook Premiers
Parkside Runners up
Nth Footscray
Old Essendon Grammer
Old Essendon High School
kingsville
Seddon
Wembley Park

Thats true, a hard game coming up this week and we look having a few miss out too with Injury and i am more than likely not to play due to injury. Yarra are in the box seat as a win means we will play finals and even with a few out injured we should still have the goods to take care of Evos mob but with Laurie back they may be a totally diffrent opponent and we understand that this is not going to be a walk in the park even tho we touched them up last time.

Evos mob have improved

Evo and fellow WRFL posters just wondering on your opinion of the following jumper. Personally I think it would look great as a Vales jumper.

footyjumperfalc.jpg

Sorry to but-in gents.
But that mob of fraudsters that calls itself an administration is at it again!
Thought i'd bring to light a disappointing situation (in relation to finals qualification) that has arisen as a result of the leagues in-ability to resolve the umpires situation, which led to the missed round 12 a few weeks back.
My club, (like most) found out a couple weeks ago, that due to now only having 16 rounds to play for the season, the league felt it necessary to alter the qualification requirements for players eligible to play in the reserves finals, to no more than 8 senior games.
This may not seem such a big deal to most players in our comp (let alone non-players who contribute to this forum) but we have a player who is gutted at the realisation of missing out on playing in his 1st and probably last finals campaign now.
The player in question was a fringe seniors player at best and requested to be dropped to the 2's within the qualification limits, in order to realise a life long football dream and play finals footy. We specifically managed the amount of senior games to exactly 9 (which at the time was the rules) in order to grant him his wish. Now, through no fault of ours-or his, he is technically over qualified as the league have decided to 'move the goal posts' AFTER the fact.
Now, allow me to clarify. This is not a player who we have just decided to get the minimum 2 reserves games into to play in finals. This week will be his 6th game for the 2's
We have consequently written to the league (hoping common sense would prevail) and asked them to revisit the rule change. Not just for our player, but for the small handful of players at other clubs who are in a similar position and have been let down by the league.
They have responded with a big fat NO!!! They will not be changing their mind about the rule.
Would be interested in other cases at other cubs and also others opinions on this matter...

i play at a club that gets belted most weeks and in every comp in the north and western suburbs has these teams, teams that are always in the lower end of the b grade ladder such as nthn saints moonee valley east keilor in the edfl and west heidelberg reservoir panton hill in the nfl i suggest that the edfl wrfl and the edfl merge to form a super comp of the northern and western suburbs. some of the pros would be that every team will be competitive thus attracting more supporters and sponsors and the cons would be more travel for players and the fact that the leagues would never let it happen and that some clubs would be against it. anyways i thought i would put my take on how it could be structured and before anybody bites my head off because i may have under or over estimated their club this is just a guess

DIVISION 1: Greenvale marby park northcote park keilor heidelberg nth heidelberg spotswood port colts bundoora

DIVISION 2: lalor strathmore albion west coburg douttas sunshine aberfeldie hoppers crossing craigieburn montmerency

DIVISION 3: Oak park west preston greensborough glenorden parkside avondale heights diamond creek macloed tullamrine eltham airport west

DIVISION 4: hadfield keilor park lower plenty fitzroy stars whittlesea nth footscray albanvale epping sunshine heights thomastown west footscray

DIVISION 5: braybrook roxburgh park sydenham jacana westmeadows laverton yarraville hurstbridge deer park watsonia mernda pakside(nfl)

DIVISION 6: reservoir west heidelberg nthn saints east keilor wyndamvale coburg districts south morang nth sunshine panton hill moonee valley

like i said just a rough guess as to what division sides should be in but would ensure all clubs would be competitive thus attracting players would be easier. and also maybe some of the clubs in the ammos might be intererested in joining such as nth and west brunswick werribee amateurs banyule ivanhoe old ess grammar fitzroy fc etc.

clubs such as heidelberg and greenvale would like the idea i`d think to play in a division with just the best clubs of the north and west of melbourne

Tooelusive;15284742[B said:
They have responded with a big fat NO!!![/B] .

I think that you should count yourself lucky that you even got a response. Usually with a request like this they would just shut their eyes and cross their fingers hoping that the issue would go away.

I forgot to ask what club you are from. (please dont say Coburg Districts)

I think that you should count yourself lucky that you even got a response. Usually with a request like this they would just shut their eyes and cross their fingers hoping that the issue would go away.

I forgot to ask what club you are from. (please dont say Coburg Districts)
GBF50 what possible reason would you have for thinking this person would be from coburg districs......LOL

Maybe i m mistaken but reading your email the player has played 9 senior games and 5 reserves (6th this week). Even with the extra game he would be 9-7 whihc still would not qualify him anyway. The ruling as i understaood it was that you had to have played the same amount or more games in the lower grade. meaning 8/ in 16 rouns or 8-9 in 17 round comp. i might not fully understand but if he has played 9 seniors and 5 reserve to this stage he wouldnt have qualified in past seasons either. we had issues in the past with 9/8 8/9 scenarios as the 17 round season complicate things.

PS - must be coburg as every other reserve finals team still has seniors in and therefore he would be playing this week as all players are then eligible.

on a different note - any news on grounds for finals ???

Sorry to but-in gents.
Thought i'd bring to light a disappointing situation (in relation to finals qualification) that has arisen as a result of the leagues in-ability to resolve the umpires situation, which led to the missed round 12 a few weeks back.
My club, (like most) found out a couple weeks ago, that due to now only having 16 rounds to play for the season, the league felt it necessary to alter the qualification requirements for players eligible to play in the reserves finals, to no more than 8 senior games.
This may not seem such a big deal to most players in our comp (let alone non-players who contribute to this forum) but we have a player who is gutted at the realisation of missing out on playing in his 1st and probably last finals campaign now.
The player in question was a fringe seniors player at best and requested to be dropped to the 2's within the qualification limits, in order to realise a life long football dream and play finals footy. We specifically managed the amount of senior games to exactly 9 (which at the time was the rules) in order to grant him his wish. Now, through no fault of ours-or his, he is technically over qualified as the league have decided to 'move the goal posts' AFTER the fact.
Now, allow me to clarify. This is not a player who we have just decided to get the minimum 2 reserves games into to play in finals. This week will be his 6th game for the 2's
We have consequently written to the league (hoping common sense would prevail) and asked them to revisit the rule change. Not just for our player, but for the small handful of players at other clubs who are in a similar position and have been let down by the league.
They have responded with a big fat NO!!! They will not be changing their mind about the rule.
Would be interested in other cases at other cubs and also others opinions on this matter...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe i m mistaken but reading your email the player has played 9 senior games and 5 reserves (6th this week). Even with the extra game he would be 9-7 whihc still would not qualify him anyway. The ruling as i understaood it was that you had to have played the same amount or more games in the lower grade. meaning 8/ in 16 rouns or 8-9 in 17 round comp. i might not fully understand but if he has played 9 seniors and 5 reserve to this stage he wouldnt have qualified in past seasons either. we had issues in the past with 9/8 8/9 scenarios as the 17 round season complicate things.

PS - must be coburg as every other reserve finals team still has seniors in and therefore he would be playing this week as all players are then eligible.

on a different note - any news on grounds for finals ???

Pretty sure you can't have played half plus 1 game in the higher grade which means in a 17 round season half plus 1 is 9 1/2 which means he would have been fine with 9 games to play reserve finals.

half plus 1 of max games or personal games??? if personal he wouldnt have made it. if maximum means player back from injury can play last 9 in seniors - no reserve n qualify??? under last years rules i mean???

either way be nice for him to go out in finals butsure others in similar boat :) parksides 2's have it wrapped up anyway!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure you can't have played half plus 1 game in the higher grade which means in a 17 round season half plus 1 is 9 1/2 which means he would have been fine with 9 games to play reserve finals.

Sorry to but-in gents.

No sympathy. I don't believe clubs or players for that matter should be managing games played in the seniors and reserves. If you are picked in the seniors you should play in the seniors. Always thought being 'dropped' to qualify for reserves finals is a crock. Chips away at the fabric of the club!

Not looking for sympathy!
It seems some of you have missed the point. Its not just about a single player nor a particular club-as all clubs in the finals can be affected the minute their seniors are knocked out, so the effects are far more wide ranging than some of you realise.
The part i find sad from reading and analysing your comments, is that with all the leagues mis-management and continued poor decision making on important issues over the journey, we all seemed to have been programmed into just accepting them as the norm.
I know it wouldn't be acceptable in most other competent leagues, but we sit back and continue to tolerate the short falls of an organisation entrusted to run OUR competition...i guess we live and play in hope that 1 day things may change.
Good luck for the finals for those who should be lucky enough to make it...

Not looking for sympathy!
It seems some of you have missed the point. Its not just about a single player nor a particular club-as all clubs in the finals can be affected the minute their seniors are knocked out, so the effects are far more wide ranging than some of you realise.
The part i find sad from reading and analysing your comments, is that with all the leagues mis-management and continued poor decision making on important issues over the journey, we all seemed to have been programmed into just accepting them as the norm.
I know it wouldn't be acceptable in most other competent leagues, but we sit back and continue to tolerate the short falls of an organisation entrusted to run OUR competition...i guess we live and play in hope that 1 day things may change.
Good luck for the finals for those who should be lucky enough to make it...

At the end of the day I think you missed the point to some other posts. The reserves are the reserves and the seniors are seniors. There has to be limitations for the integrity of the finals series. For example (purely an example) Parkside lose their first final appearance but their reserves win, if there is no limitation then what stops Parkside from putting their seniors into the reserves for the following weeks final. If you can't see that that would cause an imbalance then this arguement will never be won.

I'm not sure the short falls (although many) of the league really come in to question here. To be completely honest if they had comeback with any answer than that of "NO" then I for one would be dissappointed in that...

I also beleive that if a reserves team made it to the finals without a huge contribution from senior players then they have earnt the right to represent their club... as mentioned earlier if they dont get their right to play then it only is going to hurt the fabric of the club...

Thats my 2cents! :)

I think you will find that regardless of the missed round, 9 games would have been the breaking point for any player who plays seniors to come back and play 2's finals. Remember the Div 2 season was only 17 games, so 9 would be greater than half.

Any one got any updates on the finals scenario?

What games played on what days?

At the end of the day I think you missed the point to some other posts. The reserves are the reserves and the seniors are seniors. There has to be limitations for the integrity of the finals series. For example (purely an example) Parkside lose their first final appearance but their reserves win, if there is no limitation then what stops Parkside from putting their seniors into the reserves for the following weeks final. If you can't see that that would cause an imbalance then this arguement will never be won.

I'm not sure the short falls (although many) of the league really come in to question here. To be completely honest if they had comeback with any answer than that of "NO" then I for one would be dissappointed in that...

I also beleive that if a reserves team made it to the finals without a huge contribution from senior players then they have earnt the right to represent their club... as mentioned earlier if they dont get their right to play then it only is going to hurt the fabric of the club...

Thats my 2cents! :)

It appears to be you that (once again) has missed the point of this example given. We are not talking about a team stacking the reserves to unfairly win a flag. We are talking about 1 player, who at best was a fringe senior player that had been drastically played out of form and spent the last 4 senior games being played off the bench, so requested to be dropped down to the reserves to gain some precious game time.
Your discussion about seniors being seniors and reserves being reserves was interesting (if not a little in accurate). I thought one of the reasons the reserves grade was established was so that the players that didnt make the cut in the seniors or who needed to play somewhere to gain valuable game time could go back and do so. Therefore your argument about integrity and substance has no relevance here!
And if you believe that a fringe player would cause an imbalance of any kind then your right...it's not an argument that can be won. I think i would have a better chance at convincing Andrew Demetriou that 'tanking' does exist.
Just a sub-point for others wondering about qualification games: the rule was that a player could not have played any more than 9 senior games, but had to play at least 2 reserves games to qualify to play finals for the reserves.

It appears to be you that (once again) has missed the point of this example given. We are not talking about a team stacking the reserves to unfairly win a flag. We are talking about 1 player, who at best was a fringe senior player that had been drastically played out of form and spent the last 4 senior games being played off the bench, so requested to be dropped down to the reserves to gain some precious game time.
Your discussion about seniors being seniors and reserves being reserves was interesting (if not a little in accurate). I thought one of the reasons the reserves grade was established was so that the players that didnt make the cut in the seniors or who needed to play somewhere to gain valuable game time could go back and do so. Therefore your argument about integrity and substance has no relevance here!
And if you believe that a fringe player would cause an imbalance of any kind then your right...it's not an argument that can be won. I think i would have a better chance at convincing Andrew Demetriou that 'tanking' does exist.
Just a sub-point for others wondering about qualification games: the rule was that a player could not have played any more than 9 senior games, but had to play at least 2 reserves games to qualify to play finals for the reserves.

I got bored half way thru the 2nd paragraph. I don't care if he is a fringe player or the intricacies of the rule. The club obviously felt he was in their best senior team so he should play in the senior team. I don't agree with players asking to be 'dropped' in a bid to qualify for reserves finals.

I think you will find that regardless of the missed round, 9 games would have been the breaking point for any player who plays seniors to come back and play 2's finals. Remember the Div 2 season was only 17 games, so 9 would be greater than half.

Any one got any updates on the finals scenario?

What games played on what days?

It's actually half season plus 1....so your not allowed to play 9 and a half games, 9 games you could still go back......i think!!

I got bored half way thru the 2nd paragraph. I don't care if he is a fringe player or the intricacies of the rule. The club obviously felt he was in their best senior team so he should play in the senior team. I don't agree with players asking to be 'dropped' in a bid to qualify for reserves finals.

Your comments Red Devil smacks of a team that has both sides in the finals and is allowed a free interchange of players between both sides if they are playing on the same weekend - you should consider the plight of teams with only 1 side in finals.

End of the day the Umps f***** it and the League Admin will not make exceptions to the rule.

It's actually half season plus 1....so your not allowed to play 9 and a half games, 9 games you could still go back......i think!!

Rule states not eligible if played in a higher grade for half season plus 1.

Season was now 16 weeks, half plus 1 = 9 games , though if umpires strike didn't occur then rule would be over 17 games = 8.5 plus 1 =9.5 rounded up =10 games

So guys who have played 9 Senior games now are not eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back