• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part 2 of this thread.

PART 3 IS HERE --- >
Go there for your Pangolin-rich experience /\

But.....but....we need to open the Borders

Well, we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I think we’re at the stage where we have to live with the Rona. Social distancing, spacing people out at work, some working from home, basic hygiene Etc.

The behaviour of security at the quarantine hotels, the phenomenon of people going to work or visiting family when they are known positive is the behaviour we need to change.

When I was still on the tools in healthcare we’d be asked by a GP to perform a study for pulmonary embolism or some other medical condition as a matter of medical urgency. The standard instructions was come NOW. Travel directly to us now, do nothing else.

The number of people who turned up an hour later carrying shopping would blow you’re mind.

The mentality seems to be “but I don’t feel sick”; there can be pressure from employers and a degree of denial on the part of the patient.

And for some they are the punchline of the old joke:

”Are you ignorant or apathetic?”

”I don’t know and I don’t care”.

I think we’re at the stage where we have to live with the Rona. Social distancing, spacing people out at work, some working from home, basic hygiene Etc.

The behaviour of security at the quarantine hotels, the phenomenon of people going to work or visiting family when they are known positive is the behaviour we need to change.

When I was still on the tools in healthcare we’d be asked by a GP to perform a study for pulmonary embolism or some other medical condition as a matter of medical urgency. The standard instructions was come NOW. Travel directly to us now, do nothing else.

The number of people who turned up an hour later carrying shopping would blow you’re mind.

The mentality seems to be “but I don’t feel sick”; there can be pressure from employers and a degree of denial on the part of the patient.

Of course those same patients then (because of the shopping) rock up outside of hours when the tests aren’t done, then crack the shits because the ultrasound won’t happen until the next morning.

Interesting, thanks

I wonder if the "tracing tool" can be used for any purpose not authorised by the phone owner, after all I suspect the phone owner (at least I didn't) had no say in having the tracing tool installed in the first place?
There is a lot you have no say in wrt your phone.

The feature doesn’t do the actual tracing, it just lets you run an app in the background.

"This is not a new app but is an extra element added to the phones' operating systems to enable approved developers to build apps that can potentially warn of proximity to infected individuals," said computer scientist Prof Alan Woodward, of Surrey University.

Interesting article that claims if flu deaths were measured in the same way as coronavirus deaths then reported flu deaths would be atleast be 75 percent lower than currently recorded.

The gap between coronavirus and flu widens even further.

Even if those numbers are accurate, the number of deaths in Australia from influenza are between 375 and 750 every year while we've had approximately 100 deaths thus far from COVID-19.

The feature doesn’t do the actual tracing, it just lets you run an app in the background.

"This is not a new app but is an extra element added to the phones' operating systems to enable approved developers to build apps that can potentially warn of proximity to infected individuals," said computer scientist Prof Alan Woodward, of Surrey University.
Yes, I got all that

So will it work with the covidsafe app to keep it in background for Apple users

Even if those numbers are accurate, the number of deaths in Australia from influenza are between 375 and 750 every year while we've had approximately 100 deaths thus far from COVID-19.
This year flu cases (and by implication deaths) are down a lot.

Spacing at work often isn't practical. I won't name my employer, but I will say that the instructions coming from upper management and the application of those instructions aren't aligned.

I presume many other workplaces are faced with the same dilemma.

Personally, I think we've gone overboard.

This year flu cases (and by implication deaths) are down a lot.
True. The social distancing measures work in preventing the spread of infectious diseases. The part I challenge is whether we're getting value from ALL of the measures we've introduced.

Many people have lost their jobs, there are mental health implications, etc. That's my angle.

True. The social distancing measures work in preventing the spread of infectious diseases. The part I challenge is whether we're getting value from ALL of the measures we've introduced.

Many people have lost their jobs, there are mental health implications, etc. That's my angle.
And I also think that angle needs to explored without the emotional value attached to death. (So agreeing with you)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they should get their citizens to stop illegally crossing borders then.

Or maybe not be such a hole that people are evacuating it for a haven for COVID.

They probably feel the same way (wish they would just f*ck off) about Americans over the decades constantly interfering in the region such as secretively using a vulnerable segment of the population as guinea pigs for scientific experiments, funding death squads and supporting dictatorial regimes that they control, etc..

Yanks make a mess in nearby foreign countries yet there are still some that believe the US is the victim because of the blowback of the clusterf*ck they created.

Last edited:
Because we stopped the virus with shut borders and extreme social distancing measures. Do you know how much flu rates have fallen this year in australia with social distancing? The ratio of the decline in flu rates from other years will give you a rough idea of how much people will have caught coronavirus without the social distancing. The number is in the millions.

Is there still a link between the virus spread, and strength and cooler climates?
India, Brazil and Indonesia suggest that climate has no impact on the spread.

Came across this

And then this

China’s Frankenstein virus
Does this monster have French and American uncles?

If the market is the source of the virus, why have the samples collected from it not been shared with foreigners? Why did Beijing order ‘unauthorised’ labs to destroy early samples of the virus? As Guan Yi of the University of Hong Kong asked, ‘The crime scene is completely gone. How can we solve a case without evidence?’ Elementary, as Sherlock Holmes might have said. The virus is so unlike those from which it is meant to have evolved that it is either ‘a remarkable coincidence or a sign of human intervention,’ says Nikolai Petrovsky, professor of medicine at Flinders University. Normally, he explains, a virus has its highest affinity for the receptor in its original host and adapts over time to its new host but ‘the novel coronavirus most powerfully binds with human ACE2’ and has done since the earliest days of the outbreak. This suggests the virus was created by a ‘recombination event’ that occurred ‘inadvertently or consciously’ in a laboratory and was ‘accidentally released into the local human population.’ And while there are no signs the virus was rapidly spliced by a ‘gene jockey,’ it shows signs of being ‘cultured’ in cells.

Came across this

And then this

China’s Frankenstein virus
Does this monster have French and American uncles?

If the market is the source of the virus, why have the samples collected from it not been shared with foreigners? Why did Beijing order ‘unauthorised’ labs to destroy early samples of the virus? As Guan Yi of the University of Hong Kong asked, ‘The crime scene is completely gone. How can we solve a case without evidence?’ Elementary, as Sherlock Holmes might have said. The virus is so unlike those from which it is meant to have evolved that it is either ‘a remarkable coincidence or a sign of human intervention,’ says Nikolai Petrovsky, professor of medicine at Flinders University. Normally, he explains, a virus has its highest affinity for the receptor in its original host and adapts over time to its new host but ‘the novel coronavirus most powerfully binds with human ACE2’ and has done since the earliest days of the outbreak. This suggests the virus was created by a ‘recombination event’ that occurred ‘inadvertently or consciously’ in a laboratory and was ‘accidentally released into the local human population.’ And while there are no signs the virus was rapidly spliced by a ‘gene jockey,’ it shows signs of being ‘cultured’ in cells.

China probably released it to kill some of their older population, but it wasn't meant to spread so easily. Obviously if that came out WW3 could probably begin

They needed a bottle of sanitizer as well

They did. But as it was a new situation it caught us off guard. The restaurant owner brought the book and pen over to our table so we took them and signed. It was only when he took the same book and pen over to other customers that I realised that it was a risk. The distancing measures of the tables being separated was negated by the requirement to sign in, or at least the way he was implementing it.

Sweden with 102 deaths last night while Spain, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands etc barely recording any deaths anymore. Going really great, if we were to listen to our bigfooty tinfoil hatters like Lesley and his mate Yebiga, everything is awesome in Sweden. In the meantime, all other Scandinavian nations go out with it with minimal damage.

Those other countries typically got hit first. Pandemic deaths typically follow a gaussian distribution.

Why dont you compare Sweden to Spain, Italy, France, Belgium and the UK? May as well say France and Belgium border Germany, therefore French and Belgium lockdowns were a massive failure.

Those other countries typically got hit first. Pandemic deaths typically follow a gaussian distribution.

Why dont you compare Sweden to Spain, Italy, France, Belgium and the UK? May as well say France and Belgium border Germany, therefore French and Belgium lockdowns were a massive failure.

I have compared, in the Brexit thread, the other countries you mentioned (outside of UK) have got their daily fatality rates to near zero, or down by 90%. Sweden is still recording 50/60 deaths a day on an average (peak of 180). Sweden will end up being far far worse than all of them except Belgium (maybe).

They did. But as it was a new situation it caught us off guard. The restaurant owner brought the book and pen over to our table so we took them and signed. It was only when he took the same book and pen over to other customers that I realised that it was a risk. The distancing measures of the tables being separated was negated by the requirement to sign in, or at least the way he was implementing it.
Interesting. The restaurant we went to had one of the workers come to us and they asked for our names and wrote them down on our behalf. We didn’t touch the pen or book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back