Your Club's BEST and WORST Quarter EVER - revealed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Glory and Pain!

Every supporter has a memory that they savour or bury deep in the recesses of their minds.

There are some quarters where your team has squandered opportunities and played with pure ineptitude that has resulted in tears and reoccurring nightmares!

Conversely, there are epic quarters that stand out for being pure euphoria, where your team has produced feats that have electrified stadiums and resulted in hair-standing-on-end glory.

So!...List your Club's MOST LOVED QUARTER (and why) and that MOST HATED QUARTER (and why) of all time.

(We want details, emotions, every painstaking or wondrous moment rolled out for others to agree or dispute)...

Most Loved:
2nd Quarter of the 2007 GF - The side played some of the most scintillating football this quarter at the end of which you could sense that 44 years of broken dreams were just about to end. Having sat through the losses of 89,92,94,95 to see the team step up and play the best football they could on the biggest day just allowed decades of pain and frustration to melt away

Most Hated:
1st Quarter 2016 Preliminary Final - The Swans destroyed us 44 - 5 right off the bat. Everything the side tried didn't work. They made us look second rate in every aspect of the game, and to do so one step from a GF berth was heartbreaking. Was sitting in shock watching the game be taken away in the first 20mins.

Most loved
Hard to decide between the last quarter of the 2007 elimination final, the second quarter of the 2014 grand final, the third quarter of the 2008 grand final or the last quarter of the 2013 preliminary final.

I'm going to go with the last quarter of the 2013 preliminary final.

Cats 20 points up at the last break. The weight of the losing streak heavy on the players. The pressure of being branded chokers by everyone if they lose.

The players rose the occasion magnificently, none more so than Burgoyne who repaid the trade with a quarter of unbelievably good football.

Ended up hugging complete strangers at the end of the match. Never heard the final siren such was the din at the end of the game.

Worst quarter
Undoubtedly the second quarter of the 2012 grand final. Even first quarter but we felt confident we could kick away in the second quarter. Swans kicked five goals to a point in the second quarter and we were behind the eight ball from then on. Sitting on the ground level at the MCG I was there up close and personal to see us wilt in the face of the Swans pressure that quarter.

Club: Bulldogs

Most Hated Quarter:
1997 Q4, Prelim Final Vs Adelaide
Leading by 22 points at 3/4 time, we kicked 7 behinds for the quarter (the only goal-less quarter for the season), conspiring to botch the most unmissable chances. This is the famous game when Libba Senior kicked what he believed was a goal, leaping into the arms of his teammates to celebrate a goal that would take his Bulldogs into their first Grand Final for in 36 years. Unfortunately, the goal ump didn't agree and it set off a chain reaction of extraordinary errors: Mark West ran into an open goal and sprayed it; James Cook marked 30m out directly in front and the sun dipped into his eyes through the circular holes that used to be in the old Ponsford Stand and resulted in him missing; Jose Romero failed to see Cook all alone in the goal square and had a shot from 40 resulting in it hitting the post; Nathan Brown ran into an open goal but was tackled after his teammates failed to tell him he was about to be caught; Chris Grant picked up the ball 3m out while Paul Hudson failed to shepherd and Granty rolled it through for a behind. At the other end Jarman led Todd Curley a jolly dance and the Crows won by two points, as Rohan Smith punched the turf and I rocked like a baby at the top of the grand stand.

Most Loved Quarter:
2016 Q4 Prelim Vs GWS

Trailing by 14 points at the five minute mark, Bontempelli, Johannisen, Macrae, Liberatore and Picken put on a clinic to get the Dogs to the brink, before Stringer crossed to Dickson to ice the game with 30 seconds remaining. The Dogs win by six points following the after-the-siren shot for goal, to go through to their first Grand Final since 1954. Toby Green wept and so did I! A week later, there was another Premiership Cup in the cabinet! How could anyone not LOVE that?!

Great thread. Makes a change of late.

Best:
Round 16 2001 vs North Melbourne @ MCG (2nd Quarter - 10.1 vs 4.0)
It's already well documented... but the Roos led 12 goals to 2 at Quarter Time and followed it up with two of the first three goals of the 2nd Quarter to take a 69 point lead. The next 20 minutes was some of the best football I've seen us play to reduce the margin back to 15 points. I believe this was when Matthew Lloyd hit his peak as a footballer and I'm fairly sure I've heard him say similar. He was pivotal in bringing his team back into the game. The second half was equally memorable and we ended up winning by 12 points but this quarter changed the game. It took the team a good month to recover from this game on the field! Some claim we never have... who knows.

Worst:
Round 17 1987 vs Sydney @ SCG (4th Quarter - 1.2 vs 13.7)
We've had more than a few in the 'worst' category in recent times... an Elimination Final against either of Adelaide, Carlton and Sydney spring to mind, a couple of slaughters against the Hawks at Etihad, some shockers in Hird's last year as coach (St Kilda, Adelaide & Bulldogs) and several forgettable displays during the late Sheedy/Knights days... but this quarter was absolutely brutal. The Swans were in hot form (arguably some of the best football ever played in Sydney) at the time but nothing came close the final quarter of this game. The game was already wrapped up at Three Quarter Time with the Swans leading by 13 goals... but they would double that lead in the final quarter as we put in one of the most dispirited displays in club history. Capper, Healy & Barry Mitchell all influential. We weren't even in bad form leading into the game with wins in Perth against the Eagles and a smashing of Richmond in the weeks prior. Just a dismal quarter on a dismal day!

Club: Bulldogs

Most Hated Quarter:
1997 Q4, Prelim Final Vs Adelaide
Leading by 22 points at 3/4 time, we kicked 7 behinds for the quarter (the only goal-less quarter for the season), conspiring to botch the most unmissable chances. This is the famous game when Libba Senior kicked what he believed was a goal, leaping into the arms of his teammates to celebrate a goal that would take his Bulldogs into their first Grand Final for in 36 years. Unfortunately, the goal ump didn't agree and it set off a chain reaction of extraordinary errors: Mark West ran into an open goal and sprayed it; James Cook marked 30m out directly in front and the sun dipped into his eyes through the circular holes that used to be in the old Ponsford Stand and resulted in him missing; Jose Romero failed to see Cook all alone in the goal square and had a shot from 40 resulting in it hitting the post; Nathan Brown ran into an open goal but was tackled after his teammates failed to tell him he was about to be caught; Chris Grant picked up the ball 3m out while Paul Hudson failed to shepherd and Granty rolled it through for a behind. At the other end Jarman led Todd Curley a jolly dance and the Crows won by two points, as Rohan Smith punched the turf and I rocked like a baby at the top of the grand stand.

Most Loved Quarter:
2016 Q4 Prelim Vs GWS

Trailing by 14 points at the five minute mark, Bontempelli, Johannisen, Macrae, Liberatore and Picken put on a clinic to get the Dogs to the brink, before Stringer crossed to Dickson to ice the game with 30 seconds remaining. The Dogs win by six points following the after-the-siren shot for goal, to go through to their first Grand Final since 1954. Toby Green wept and so did I! A week later, there was another Premiership Cup in the cabinet! How could anyone not LOVE that?!

It's really sad when your best footy memory requires mocking opposition players.

Any club but the Bulldogs and the memory would be how well Bontempelli and Daniel played that QTR.

Honestly your team deserves better quality supporters

It's really sad when your best footy memory requires mocking opposition players.

Any club but the Bulldogs and the memory would be how well Bontempelli and Daniel played that QTR.

Honestly your team deserves better quality supporters
Clearly still stewing on that loss Isaac. Go Dogs!

BEST QUARTER
4th quarter vs Geelong, QF 2017
Dominated much of the first half without putting it on the scoreboard, so we led by just 13pts going into the last quarter in a very low scoring game. The old Richmond probably would’ve choked from here. The new Richmond piled on 7 goals to 1 to completely blow the game out and march into the prelim, and the lid was truly off.

WORST QUARTER
1st quarter vs Port, EF 2014
After winning 9 straight games to scrape into finals, the wave of momentum was stopped when we won the toss and kicked into the wind, and Port killed the game in 30min with 7 or 8 first quarter goals (I forget which and would rather not research)

Your only response is to express your imagination about what I feel? We've gone from sad to tragic.
Any memories you care to share, Isaac? Without gazing into my crystal ball, I'm tipping the quarter I've listed as my favorite could just be your least fave. Over to you...

Any memories you care to share, Isaac? Without gazing into my crystal ball, I'm tipping the quarter I've listed as my favorite could just be your least fave. Over to you...
I recall seeing the joy on the faces of Tiger supporters after the 2017 PF. Similar for the Magpies supporters after the SF last year.

And the petty nastiness of Bulldogs supporters during and post game at the 2016 PF.

Best: 2008 grand final - 3rd quarter. Can still remember the shock as each goal went through. It was REALLY happening. We were really going to win the flag. Had been a fan for 12 years by that point and nothing in football could have felt sweeter or better than that.

Worst: 2nd quarter of the 2012 grand final is probably it. I understand that people love this grand final because of the arm wrestle and changes of momentum, but by half time in that game my spirit was already crushed and it never really came back to fulfilment again, even when we were 11 points up in the last quarter. That second quarter just made the whole second half feel a bit off. I wasn't surprised by the outcome in the end but I was mightily devastated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall seeing the joy on the faces of Tiger supporters after the 2017 PF. Similar for the Magpies supporters after the SF last year.

And the petty nastiness of Bulldogs supporters during and post game at the 2016 PF.

Most Bulldogs were pretty euphoric after the Prelim win. Looks like you are holding onto these bad memories and to this day projecting the disappointment onto other Bulldog supporters.

Do you have any quarters that you wish to discuss about your own club's fortunes?

Most Bulldogs were pretty euphoric after the Prelim win. Looks like you are holding onto these bad memories and to this day projecting the disappointment onto other Bulldog supporters.

Do you have any quarters that you wish to discuss about your own club's fortunes?
Mmmm
Your post is the most common reaction I've seen from Bulldogs supporters after the 2016 PF, in person at the ground and on BF. It belies your claim supporters were happy.

They should have been, your team played a great game, and deserved love. Instead it's hatred if our players and club.

Mmmm
Your post is the most common reaction I've seen from Bulldogs supporters after the 2016 PF, in person at the ground and on BF. It belies your claim supporters were happy.

They should have been, your team played a great game, and deserved love. Instead it's hatred if our players and club.

We were euphoric and still are. And yes, our supporters are not so fond of your Club, for good reason. Nice chatting and best of luck in your hunt for your maiden flag.

We were euphoric and still are. And yes, our supporters are not so fond of your Club, for good reason. Nice chatting and best of luck in your hunt for your maiden flag.
But you just named the best QTR by your club ever. Then made no positive comment about any of your players or the club, you thought the only important thing was to mock an opposition player.

I get you cant see the problem though.

Great thread. Makes a change of late.

Best:
Round 16 2001 vs North Melbourne @ MCG (2nd Quarter - 10.1 vs 4.0)
It's already well documented... but the Roos led 12 goals to 2 at Quarter Time and followed it up with two of the first three goals of the 2nd Quarter to take a 69 point lead. The next 20 minutes was some of the best football I've seen us play to reduce the margin back to 15 points. I believe this was when Matthew Lloyd hit his peak as a footballer and I'm fairly sure I've heard him say similar. He was pivotal in bringing his team back into the game. The second half was equally memorable and we ended up winning by 12 points but this quarter changed the game. It took the team a good month to recover from this game on the field! Some claim we never have... who knows.

Worst:
Round 17 1987 vs Sydney @ SCG (4th Quarter - 1.2 vs 13.7)
We've had more than a few in the 'worst' category in recent times... an Elimination Final against either of Adelaide, Carlton and Sydney spring to mind, a couple of slaughters against the Hawks at Etihad, some shockers in Hird's last year as coach (St Kilda, Adelaide & Bulldogs) and several forgettable displays during the late Sheedy/Knights days... but this quarter was absolutely brutal. The Swans were in hot form (arguably some of the best football ever played in Sydney) at the time but nothing came close the final quarter of this game. The game was already wrapped up at Three Quarter Time with the Swans leading by 13 goals... but they would double that lead in the final quarter as we put in one of the most dispirited displays in club history. Capper, Healy & Barry Mitchell all influential. We weren't even in bad form leading into the game with wins in Perth against the Eagles and a smashing of Richmond in the weeks prior. Just a dismal quarter on a dismal day!

The 2001 game was a classic. One of the fastest and free scoring matches I can recall. Little wonder that your boys were tired afterward.

But you just named the best QTR by your club ever. Then made no positive comment about any of your players or the club, you thought the only important thing was to mock an opposition player.

I get you cant see the problem though.

Think you may need to go back and read the summary!

Best quarter
3rd quarter 2017 afl grand final Richmond v Adelaide

After decades of being mocked and years of misery and losing the unloseable this quarter was utter unadulterated joy.
Having a slender 9 point lead at half time there was an air of confidence about these tigers that they could go on and finish the job, and finish the job they did. From jack Graham’s goal to start the 3rd to Kane Lambert’s to finally start to believe it really was happening, by the time Georgie made it 34 points at 3/4 time, the cup looked like heading to punt road.
Could have quite easily said the 4th as that was sensational as well however the 3rd quarter was really when the dream became a reality.

Worst quarter
4th quarter 2013 elimination final Richmond v Carlton

95,000 at the mcg, our first final in 12 years. After leading by as much as 32 points early in the 3rd the blues on the back of old man Judd made it a 4 point game at 3/4 time. You had a bad feeling however Richmond were a better team, had finished 5th while the blues finished 9th and were expected to bounce back and shrug off a spirited Carlton challenge. It did not happen, after Garlett ran 50 metres to waltz into an open goal I left, the pain too raw, not against Carlton, why f$&king Carlton.
Thankfully they haven’t beaten us since, have picked up a couple of wooden spoons while we won a flag. Long may it continue.

Last edited:
I could go for a few finals games here but that would be too cliched.

Most loved Quarter:
Q1 v West Coast in 2015. Their home game, we kicked 9 goals to 0 and the game was over. Even Taberner looked good. It was such a rare thing to be able to kick back and relax at a derby and that's why it stands out. Season didn't work out quite as well though, they made a grand final and we didn't.

Most hated Quarter:
Q4 v Melbourne in 2004. This isn't the obvious Melbourne game were we blew a 9 goal lead. IMO this was much much worse. We were in front by 2 goals at 3/4 time playing generally better footy against a decent Melbourne team and it started pissing down. This is where the Chris Connolly uncontested brand comes into it's own. We lose the quarter 43 to zero. Conceding 43 points in a quarter is quite a feat in torrential rain but it makes sense once you understand that the Freo style at the time was to run away from the contest. I remember walking away from the game just being generally angry at how a bunch of pretty good footballers (which Freo was then) could be turned into a team of marshmallows. It was one of a series of pathetic efforts that season that saw us eventually lose 4 straight games comfortably at the end of the season when a win in just one would have got us into the finals.

Bulldog supporters need to take out an IVO against you stalker!

I have been on BF for several years and I have never seen anyone as obsessed, as petty and as nasty as you. Any thread to do with the Bulldogs and there you are, attacking the club and it’s supporters.

Sure I can understand you being a bit sore losing the prelim, but it’s a sport, your teams time will come. This relentless vitriol is over the top. i sincerely believe you need professional help.

Beat quarter
3rd quarter 2017 afl grand final Richmond v Adelaide

After decades of being mocked and years of misery and losing the unloseable this quarter was utter unadulterated joy.
Having a slender 9 point lead at half time there was an air of confidence about these tigers that they could go on and finish the job, and finish the job they did. From jack Graham’s goal to start the 3rd to Kane Lambert’s to finally start to believe it really was happening, by the time Georgie made it 34 points at 3/4 time, the cup looked like heading to punt road.
Could have quite easily said the 4th as that was sensational as well however the 3rd quarter was really when the dream became a reality.

Worst quarter
4th quarter 2013 elimination final Richmond v Carlton

95,000 at the mcg, our first final in 12 years. After leading by as much as 32 points early in the 3rd the blues on the back of old man Judd made it a 4 point game at 3/4 time. You had a bad feeling however Richmond were a better team, had finished 5th while the blues finished 9th and were expected to bounce back and shrug off a spirited Carlton challenge. It did not happen, after Garlett ran 50 metres to waltz into an open goal I left, the pain too raw, not against Carlton, why f$&king Carlton.
Thankfully they haven’t beaten us since, have picked up a couple of wooden spoons while we won a flag. Long may it continue.
On the bright side, that EF against the Blues did result in the greatest YouTube Hitler rant of all time.

Bulldog supporters need to take out an IVO against you stalker!

I have been on BF for several years and I have never seen anyone as obsessed, as petty and as nasty as you. Any thread to do with the Bulldogs and there you are, attacking the club and it’s supporters.

Sure I can understand you being a bit sore losing the prelim, but it’s a sport, your teams time will come. This relentless vitriol is over the top. i sincerely believe you need professional help.
What's an IVO?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back