Your Team for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think the impressive debut of Henderson puts pressure on Mills. I had considered Mills as our only real option as a roaming CHF, but Henderson has it all over him in terms of class, and if his running power is anywhere near Mills' he may be the preferred option. I'm not really a fan of playing Mills anywhere else.

I was more than happy to assign the Henderson Kid to the magoos for the year and let him settle in and perhaps push for a game or two towards the end of the year as injuries mounted. It's only one pre-season game, but he's ahead of where I expected him to be.

I've read reports on him mentioning 14 beep tests. If they are correct he really does come into real contention for that roaming forward. Still, common sense says he'll only at best be *part* of that solution -- he's very unlikely to singleheandedly hold down CHF in his first year and we really wouldn't want to make him do it. From Riewoldt and Kosi, to Mitch Clark, Ryder, Tyler and Gumbleton, it's very tough to keep these big kids fit in their first two to three years of footy.

Locking him to CHF is a good way to guarantee his breakdown.

I agree Mills ain't no backman
too slow to react, no run, just a honest mark & kick battler
Forward or fairwell

my team

Drummond Merritt Roe

Lappin Patful MacDonald

Johnstone Adcock Stiller

Brennan Brown Corrie

Clark (if fit) Henderson Proud

Rucks: Charman Black Power

I/C: Leuenberger, Rischitelli, Selwood, Begley

3 big forwards with henderson leading target & Mitch camped around goals

i opted for Lappin off the bench early in the season (he needs to stay fit this year and i'd be happy for the club to ease him into the season and increase his workload with each game - got to look after the old fellas ;))

i'd pick either Clark or Henderson but probably not both - i think Brennan should play off a half-forward flank in a free-roaming role and we'd look top-heavy if both Clark and Henderson played...maybe down the track but not yet...they're still too raw and might end up clogging each other's space...or Browny's :eek:

for mine, Clark is ahead but Henderson played like he was ready to go - if he plays a few more like that last one and Clark is less than fully fit, the new kid might just force his way in for round 1

i loved seeing Proud attack the footy but i hope we take it slowly with Albie - he's a special talent and even though he plays like a terrier, he's still got to put on a few kilos before his body can handle the regular pounding he'll get at the bottom of packs in the regular season

Begley, McGrath and Mills were close and so were Corrie and Harding...it wouldn't take much to convincing for me to include any one of them...we're getting some real depth across the park and our injuries currently numerous but relatively minor

i'd go with:

MacDonald Merrett Roe

Drummond Patfull Notting

Johnstone Adcock Stiller

Brennan Brown McGrath

Hooper Clark/Henderson Copeland

Rucks: Charman Black Power

I/C: Leuenberger Rischitelli Lappin Selwood​

for mine, Clark is ahead but Henderson played like he was ready to go - if he plays a few more like that last one and Clark is less than fully fit, the new kid might just force his way in for round 1
i loved seeing Proud attack the footy but i hope we take it slowly with Albie - he's a special talent and even though he plays like a terrier, he's still got to put on a few kilos before his body can handle the regular pounding he'll get at the bottom of packs in the regular season
[/INDENT]

I think you make an excellent point about us being top heavy if Henderson and Clark play in the same team. I think again we should be looking at using Charman up forward as a resting ruckman, i really hope to see Brennan float from the midfield forward and in that respect not be deemed a tall forward. Berger is also a forward option so to have Brown, Clark, Henderson, Charman and Luey in the same side is a waste of a potential runner. Great pick up Beatnik

As for Proud, i think we just need to manage his time on the field early in the season so he does not run out of gas, i will say that i have no doubt he will be top 3 in the rising star award. Proud was born to play AFL, if his body is right then must play every week. Copeland and Selwood won't drive us to a premiership in the near future, Proud will.

Regarding Henderson/Clark and Proud.

For Round 1 at least, if Clark is fit, I would play both him and Henderson. Yes it's possible that the line up looks top heavy, but not if you employ the right structure. I'd have Brown and Clark stationed inside forward 50 to be equally viable leading targets, and play Henderson at CHF. On the wide expanses of Subiaco, it's good to have a mobile target coming out of defence.

I suppose you could also make the argument that on the wide expanses of Subiaco, having 1 less key forward to allow 1 more runner is beneficial. :p On my interchange bench though I have Begley and Corrie who will both provide excellent run.

Mills would be the other candidate for CHF, but if Lachie continues to impress in pre-season matches, I would reward his efforts by selecting him.

I'd play Brennan on ball or on the wing, and Notting to run through the middle. Possum is much better value for us providing us rebound and forward delivery than as an undersized key forward.

As for Albert Proud, I'd be very keen to see what he can offer in the senior team. I don't think his endurance is there yet, so I'd play him on ball off the bench in bursts. He can come on, hit a few packs at pace and get the clearance, and that may change the momentum of the match. Having said that though, I wouldn't start him in round 1 because I just can't fit him in the team. He'll get his chance soon enough.

My team:

B Drummond Merrett Roe
HB Macdonald Patfull Stiller
C Lappin Adcock Notting
HF Johnstone Henderson Brennan
F Clark Brown Hooper
R Charman Black Power

IC Leuenberger Rischitelli Begley Corrie

P.S. I realise that compared to the team that won last year against WCE, the above team probably looks "better" in terms of player quality and potential. In practice you need different types of players to make a team click. For example, the restructuring of the team involved sending Patfull to defense and recalling Roe from the reserves, as well as throwing Brennan, Copeland, Mills and Hooper forward to apply forward pressure. In my team above, Mills and Copeland are missing.

With Tippett likely to be promoted it's hard to see both of those guys being elevated to the senior list.

Don't know why there was something that impressed me with Kiel on Saturday night. But yeah you are right Tippett will move up ahead of him.:thumbsu:

Tippett has to be promoted so he can be ready to be called up to play in case Charmo or Leuey gets a niggle and can't play for a couple of games.

Begley will be the nominated rookie, and almost certain to play in round 1 IMO.

I suspect some of the other rookies will be given a chance through the year. Most of them are 2nd year rookies, and Garner has already spent 3 years on our list. The club would want to have a look at least a couple of them to help decide whether to promote them, keep as 3rd year rookies or delist.

Kiel looks a likely type, and he should get his chance if there's an opening.

Don't know why there was something that impressed me with Kiel on Saturday night. But yeah you are right Tippett will move up ahead of him.:thumbsu:

Long limbed and gives you more than you expect from someone of his stature. Massive rep in local circles.

Was also impressed with Kiel - reckon with more exposure/experience at the top level he could be a very good player for us - we need more hard bodies. There were way too many Bombers breaking tackles with ease - do we still have a tackling coach? Also, for all the flak Mills cops about not being up to AFL standard, he certainly did a job on McPhee last Saturday night - shut him right down.

Also, for all the flak Mills cops about not being up to AFL standard, he certainly did a job on McPhee last Saturday night - shut him right down.

I've probably made my thoughts clear on Mills but shutting down McPhee is not that easy. McPhee's a decent player and is a pretty smart operator. The only thing that could be said in his defence is that he was playing a slightly unknown position. Equally though, Mills was playing in a role that he rarely filled last year.

B: Roe Merret Drummond
HB: Lappin Patfull Notting
C: Stiller Black Johnstone
HF: Brennan Brown Sherman
F: Copeland Clark Henderson
R: Charman Adcock Rischatelli

INT: Leuenberger Selwood Proud MacDonald

EMG: Hooper Mills Corrie

B: Roe Merret Drummond
HB: Lappin Patfull Notting
C: Stiller Black Johnstone
HF: Brennan Brown Sherman
F: Copeland Clark Henderson
R: Charman Adcock Rischatelli

INT: Leuenberger Selwood Proud MacDonald

EMG: Hooper Mills Corrie

Luke Power? :eek: :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm blown away by the fact that not many of you have Bradshaw in your starting 18, let alone in your 22

Make no mistake about it, Bradshaw is our best FF :thumbsu:

May take until the 2nd half of the season, but should be awesome to watch Brown, Bradshaw and either Clark/Henderson play in the one forward line; along with X-factors in Brennan and Hooper ;)

I thought more of you lads would have had Begley down as a cert for your team. How do you rate him?
Brisbane currently has good depth so his inclusion by posters would be 50/50 ish.He will definitely be thereabouts and with a couple of injuries to other players he could play every game.

He also did not play in first practice match so is not fresh in people's minds.

Fair enough, He's a damn good footballer though so I was very surprised not to see more of his name.

Reckon you guys will go alright too this year, from the look of your 22, should be good to see Port and Brisbane pushing back up the ladder again.

I want Browny, Bradshaw, Henderson, Mitch Clarke, Rhan Hooper and Brennan in the forward line. Corrie, Ash Mcgrath and Wade Mills are the back-ups if any of those guys get injured. I don't think Hendo will get picked, but I sure hope he does:thumbsu:

He has been ruled out of competitive football until at least Round 3 - We still love Braddles...some more than others of course;)

That's me! Love ya Braddles :D. Can't wait for rounds 2-4 to be here to see ya on the field again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back