Karmichael Hunt to play for GCFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Carmichael Hunt to play for GCFC?

Just wondering how are GC17 getting him. I mean doesnt he have to go in the draft ?

Obviously if they are paying him a fortune no one else is going to want him. But technically he still has to g oin the draft doesnt he?

I wish this was announced yesterday. BT could have given it to the other panelists on 'The Back Page' last night on FoxSports. AFL v League debate would have been funny.

Oh yeah. He was probably just being a w***er but it would be funny if he actually meant this story.

He may be the luckiest BF poster alive.

I'd be on here right now gloating.

Oh yeah Karmichael Hunt, that's what it was....

Either way, I dont think he'll be a success. Isn't tall enough to hold a key position role and he definitely wont have the skills to make it as a flanker or tall midfielder.

Mind you, the Gold Coast would have have to have forked out 500k for him at least.

Bit of a risk much or are they already planning on cheating the cap? :rolleyes:

GC have special exemptions to the existing cap so money won't be an issue. Plus he will be a great marketing tool and you'd imagine his value in advertising terms has risen now that he has a reach across all football followers in Australia (not just NSW and QLD).

Can't undersatnd why people think he won't make it. Has only been out of the game for 7 years and is still relatively young. Compared to the Irish boys that come across he is already miles in front of them

I wish this was announced yesterday. BT could have given it to the other panelists on 'The Back Page' last night on FoxSports. AFL v League debate would have been funny.

lol..we need 1 hour of that on back page 1 night..that was just a teaser :p

He could though. You don't lose the basic skills from your junior days. Once he has practiced and found his touch again he should be fine.

True, but after playing 5 years of another code, it'll be damn tough.

I mean look at the things that he'll have in his favour.

- Far superior tackling technique

- Speed

As opposed to things he'll have against him,

- Marking - NRL players rarely mark above their head (it's mainly chest marks)

- Kicking skills - this will be the key. He'll have two years to hone his skills, but will it be enough?

Don't get me wrong, it's a massive coup - but at the likely price tag of $1.5 million over three years (Broncos were offering $1.2 over 3, so let's not kid ourselves and pretend he joined a rival code for less money), it's a big chunk of the salary cap on an unproven player in a new code.

True, but after playing 5 years of another code, it'll be damn tough.

I mean look at the things that he'll have in his favour.

- Far superior tackling technique

- Speed

As opposed to things he'll have against him,

- Marking - NRL players rarely mark above their head (it's mainly chest marks)

- Kicking skills - this will be the key. He'll have two years to hone his skills, but will it be enough?

Don't get me wrong, it's a massive coup - but at the likely price tag of $1.5 million over three years (Broncos were offering $1.2 over 3, so let's not kid ourselves and pretend he joined a rival code for less money), it's a big chunk of the salary cap on an unproven player in a new code.

When you consider that a 30 second ad on television in prime time can cost upwards of 300K, the 1 million extra they've spent has already paid for itself in terms of publicity.

Its a bargain.

Just wondering how are GC17 getting him. I mean doesnt he have to go in the draft ?

Obviously if they are paying him a fortune no one else is going to want him. But technically he still has to g oin the draft doesnt he?

From the GCFC Board...

More on it here

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/81596/default.aspx

"Hunt has been signed under player rule 21.3.4 (a) II, where any AFL club can sign a player who has not been registered for at least three full years with any recognised Australian football competition at any level. Carlton used this rule to recruit Setanta and Aisake O'hAilpin, while Sydney Swans rookie Jake Orreal and Collingwood rookie Lachlan Keefe were also taken under the rule."

Also in the article

"It is the first time an established rugby league player has crossed to the AFL since Ray Smith, who played 104 matches (77 with Essendon from 1971-75 and 27 with Melbourne from 1975-76)."

Either way, I dont think he'll be a success. Isn't tall enough to hold a key position role and he definitely wont have the skills to make it as a flanker or tall midfielder.

Mind you, the Gold Coast would have have to have forked out 500k for him at least.

Bit of a risk much or are they already planning on cheating the cap? :rolleyes:

Perhaps as a key defender, in the vain of Mal Michael? Could provide great speed out of defense?

I agree with all that Buddy. He will be a marketing dream though. They could sign any AFL player in the league but signing Hunt will get much more publicity. It will be interesting to see how he goes but he will be extremely beneficial before they join the AFL.

He just needs to be able to kick to a target.

You could have Micheal Jordan and if he can't kick then no good.

Come to think of it, Micheal Jordan was only ordinary at baseball.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GCCan't undersatnd why people think he won't make it. Has only been out of the game for 7 years and is still relatively young. Compared to the Irish boys that come across he is already miles in front of them

Interesting point. Wouldn't his body shape and fitness base be compeltely different due to the far differing demands of AFL and NRL?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25850508-23214,00.html

Brisbane Broncos rugby league star Karmichael Hunt is switching codes to play Australian rules after joining the Gold Coast Football Club, which joins the AFL competition in 2011.
He is expected to play rugby union and return to the Gold Coast in May 2010 to commence his development program with the Club.

It is the first time a rugby league international has switched to play Australian Rules.

Hunt said he wanted to stay playing sport at the highest level in Queensland.

“If I had to leave Brisbane then I preferred to change codes rather than change teams as I did not want to play against the Brisbane Broncos,” he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25850508-23214,00.html

This is a MASSIVE story and will be a great boost for GCFC.
Bottom line is pretty much everyone in Queensland and NSW now knows that there will be an AFL team on the Gold Coast. You probably couldn't have said that before!

The best part of it is that he isn't some 30 year old on his last legs. He's a 21-22 year old with a bit of football background. He also has 2 years to get himself up to scratch skill wise.

For the GCFC it is a terrific coup. They basically have the face of their club now!! Imagine the rugby people fuming when the billboards with his face on it are plastered around the Gold Coast!!

Football wise it is also a smart move. As many have said, GC need to find 30 players. Here you have a strong bodied player who understands what it is like to play in a (semi) professional team - I say semi because i think Rugby are about 20 years behind AFL in professionalism.
With a team of young draft picks, the GC will need some strong bodies to support the team as the youngsters develop. For this reason alone it is a good move.

I only hope the GC are planning on having some very strong leadership on place to ensure he understands that the crap that goes on in rugby circles will not be tolerated in the AFL.

Bottom line, it is a brilliant move by the GCFC. Now imagine if they added Inglis! Rugby people would go TNT!!

Oh and if Barry Hall doesn't go boxing, Rugby would be a very good option for him.

Hilarious watching them all sit there whinging that he left league for AFL. Never seen a bigger bunch of sooks ever, it's great reading though. :D

Are you for real? We've lost players to other codes and overseas since 1908. This is no different.

Just heard this on Channel seven lead up news and I believe it is exactly what the new footy clubs need. Some one instantly recognisable that will bring in the fans. They need to find a Sonny Bill or someone like him to make the new WS team work too. Brilliant!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back