Certified Legendary Thread CONFIRMED: Welcome to Hawthorn, Shaun Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Burgoyne to Hawks?

TRADE NEWS: Suggestions the AFL has been brought into negotiations with Hawthorn and Port Adelaide. Mediation action perhaps!!!
2 minutes ago from web

TRADE NEWS: Burgoyne to Hawthorn. Picks 9 and 16 to Port Adelaide. Mark Williams and Pick 24 (from Port) to Essendon. Is this a good deal?

Wth... 2 first rounders? Meh... its not ours... so i don't mind

Love the way a lot of you blokes are willing to toss away Willo with such a lack of consideration for what he has given to our club. All for a bloke that "yes" has talent.... but also has had serious knee issues for 12 months.

I watched our 08 GF win last night and I would like you all to go and do the same taking particular note of Willo's efforts... his chasing, harassing and his accuracy. Through our darker years earlier this decade he was the one bloke that actually stodd up despite his size.

I dont think Willo is untouchable by any means... but I'd expect him to get the same sort of loyalty from we true supporters that Brownie received yesterday. It makes me sick to the guts that Browny could get on here and see a page full of support... yet WIllo could log on and for his 242 goals and 111 games we are saying "*hit yeah.. flick WIllo for a draft pick...". Disgusts me.

I agree..And PA get two first round picks! PA should give us Burgoyne and a pick..Maybe that's what the haggling is about! Shoot, who knows!! The sooner this is finalised the better it will be!! Just get it behind us!

Isnt it amazing- Mclean for pick 11- done. Lovett for pick 16-done. Jolly for pick 14 and 46- done (would 9 and 57 be a rough equivalent?). Other trades are getting done because at the end of the day the clubs receiving the picks see the value in the first selection they are receiving. You might lose a player who is 27 and great- but if you're so sure about your clubs plan, your list management- the direction you're heading- then you should have no trouble selecting, at a bare minimum- a decent player who could be serviceable.

Love the way a lot of you blokes are willing to toss away Willo with such a lack of consideration for what he has given to our club. All for a bloke that "yes" has talent.... but also has had serious knee issues for 12 months.

I watched our 08 GF win last night and I would like you all to go and do the same taking particular note of Willo's efforts... his chasing, harassing and his accuracy. Through our darker years earlier this decade he was the one bloke that actually stodd up despite his size.

I dont think Willo is untouchable by any means... but I'd expect him to get the same sort of loyalty from we true supporters that Brownie received yesterday. It makes me sick to the guts that Browny could get on here and see a page full of support... yet WIllo could log on and for his 242 goals and 111 games we are saying "*hit yeah.. flick WIllo for a draft pick...". Disgusts me.

Im sorry but your parochialism is askew here... Willo has been approached by the bombers, apparently offered as much as a 3 year deal. We didnt offer him up for trade- but if he says yes to the bombers, then we are obliged to get something for him surely? If Williams leaves it will be because he has said yes to it. If he says no, then its not on. The fact is that its apparent that Willo is at least considering it- so people may be reserving their judgement for his decision.

Isnt it amazing- Mclean for pick 11- done. Lovett for pick 16-done. Jolly for pick 14 and 46- done (would 9 and 57 be a rough equivalent?). Other trades are getting done because at the end of the day the clubs receiving the picks see the value in the first selection they are receiving. You might lose a player who is 27 and great- but if you're so sure about your clubs plan, your list management- the direction you're heading- then you should have no trouble selecting, at a bare minimum- a decent player who could be serviceable.

Exactly :thumbsu: and Carlton can't even get pick 104 for Fev.

Im sorry but your parochialism is askew here... Willo has been approached by the bombers, apparently offered as much as a 3 year deal. We didnt offer him up for trade- but if he says yes to the bombers, then we are obliged to get something for him surely? If Williams leaves it will be because he has said yes to it. If he says no, then its not on. The fact is that its apparent that Willo is at least considering it- so people may be reserving their judgement for his decision.

Thanks for that. Thats not the way it's being reported here from what I have listened to tonight. 5aa have it that we are flogging him around and making fun of the fact Jeff said "no premiership player will be offered up". It really upset me that we'd do that. Thanks for the info... glad that it is incorrect.

If Willo see's a deal that is better for him elsewhere and wants to go... fair enough. Of course we would want compensation... and then more than happy to then send the pick to the Port and gain Burgoyne.

But I'd hope we'd all remember Marks contribution to our club before we celebrate securing Jnr Burger

He is a premiership player for the club, his contribution will never be forgotten. IF the deal goes through set up a tribute thread to all his great moments in the B&G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will ALWAYS love willo... he has been FANTASTIC for our club...

but if he wants to leave to freshen up... what can we do? he will always be a premiership hero and will always rate him highly. But as i heard early... he wants to leave us. SO i don't mind getting Shaun Burgoyne back in return. WOuld be good. We have beau dowler in the mix.. and thorp to a lesser degree to cover marks spot. But make no mistake... he will always be a hawthorn champion!

Here here. On one hand we are saying we are the family club and we love everyone blah blah blah, yet we are happy to throw out a player that was a star in our GF win. Make no mistake about it.

Seems like trade week can bring the worst out in people, not the best.

Thanks for that. Thats not the way it's being reported here from what I have listened to tonight. 5aa have it that we are flogging him around and making fun of the fact Jeff said "no premiership player will be offered up". It really upset me that we'd do that. Thanks for the info... glad that it is incorrect.

If Willo see's a deal that is better for him elsewhere and wants to go... fair enough. Of course we would want compensation... and then more than happy to then send the pick to the Port and gain Burgoyne.

But I'd hope we'd all remember Marks contribution to our club before we celebrate securing Jnr Burger

I dont even want him to go! :) It does make me sick to think of him wearing a bombers guernsey... But if its about opportunity and him thinking he wont play first 22 until he retires if he stays at the hawks--- then i can understand that. A player of his quality shouldnt finish his career in the reserves... He's a rare breed of footballer, one of those guys in sync with the ball... i mean, we get so many athletes drafted who have no instinct for the game at all- and people wonder why they arent achieving their potential- well you know what>? MAYBE THEY CANT PLAY FOOTY! They might run the 100m like Usain Bolt, doesnt mean they can play footy... Willo's the opposite- is so in touch with the game it's almost too easy... and thats his greatest criticism, his effort- he looks almost lazy at times... but a lot of thats too do with the fact he's generally a lot better than the guy he's playing on...

Either way this Burgoyne trade will cost us a premiership.

Why?

1.) Our pick 9 has been tied down the entire trade period. Fortuitiously Darren Jolly wanted to come back to Melbourne. Yet we could do nothing because our pick 9 has been tied down to a player who may or may not even come to Hawthorn. Our moral obligation to Shaun Burgoyne rightly or wrongly has meant we could not move on Jolly. It would truly be a dog act to ditch Burgoyne when he has done absolutely everything possible to get to us. But the fact remains Hawthorn with Jolly is a better team than Hawthorn with Burgoyne

2.) Port Adelaide's pig headedness has meant that the uncertainty with our picks translates into us not being able to deal for another quality ruckman. All our resources have been directed towards this one trade. And yet we run the risk of going into 2010 with only 2 possible ruck choices both of whom are of questionable level.

Now it isn't Pelchen's fault that Robbie Campbell had to retire for he couldnt have seen this coming when he had SB in his sights many months ago. But still I believe this week's events will affect us very negatively when we reflect on it at the end of next year or even the year beyond that.

ps.. WIllo's my favorite player... so I am terribly biased. Actually I'm gutted. Nearly in tears. It may sound stupid but this bloke was something to enjoy through some really rough years and the thought of him leaving tops off a bitch of a year. I've met Mark on a few occasions and while he is a little "different" he is a ripper young fella.

Devo. :thumbsdown:

productivity at work???? ITS TRADE WEEK BABY.

Keep your phone off the hook and your computer homepage rotating between the hun, the age, the aussie, bfooty, and foxsports and your boss at bay.

Far out, are you spying on me, describes me to a tee.

Looks like we are giving in to Port. Willo to Essendon is essentialy a trade done to get Burgoyne to us and fly's in the face of JK's comments about not letting premiership players go. Not necessarily a bad move however, another injury prone or poor year from Willo will give him zero currency.

At times like these we just have to trust that the club knows what it's doing. Looking forward to it all being over with.

Joelie,
I love Willo too, he has been there for us, through thick and thin. And the thought of him in a scum jumper,just about kills me!! Couldn't think of anything worse!!
But, I then found out that he is sick and tired of driving to Waverley every day for training, and wants to play in a team closer to where he lives, so the scum suits him. He has given so much to us, and I say, if and when the deal goes through, we have an appreciation thread for him..
None of us want to see him leave, but tbh, the best years are behind him, but I still wish him well, just not against us!! We would not have offered him a 3 year deal, and he knows that.. Good luck to him, he deserves it!
He asked to be traded, we didn't offer him..So you can tell those abusers over there, the truth..:)

Re: Either way this Burgoyne trade will cost us a premiership.

On point one you are wrong. Jolly never entertained the idea of coming to Hawthorn. Even if we tried to get him, if you look at any article on the issue he only wanted to go to the Pies. So the Burger trade is of no consequence, we couldn't have got Jolly anyway as it was the Pies or nothing.

One your second point I disagree. If pelchin etc thought we needed another ruckman they could have secured one (and still might!), just as they saw the need to get a backman and hence picked up Gibbo, the Berger trade had no impact on that one did it?!

Finally to suggest we can't get another flag because of the berger trade is ridiculous. Surely you don't think Campbell was the difference in 08? I've no doubt taylor and renouf would have got us over the line, and since then we can expect Renouf to improve and Taylor at the least to stay the same if not get better. Yes Robbie is a big loss, but to suggest it is the difference between a flag I can't agree with!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back