Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

I had an inkling that he was retiring when he quickly walked off the field between Reg and Ted after they had chaired Shaw off the ground. I didn't mention it to the people I was at the game with, because I knew it would probably break their hearts so soon after our season ended.

Goodes is the best to have played in the red and white. With absolutely no disrespect to all the other champions of our club, he stands tall above them all. Congratulations on a very special career, Goodesy!

One of my favourite moments was the standing ovation at the 7 minute mark of the 3rd quarter earlier this year. That was spine-chilling stuff and about much more than just football - the show of solidarity amongst the Swans fan to show support for such a legend was incredibly uplifting. Obviously there are plenty of football memories as well (too many to count), but that one will live on with me for a long, long time.

We're all very privileged to have watched his career in the flesh. In 50 years' time, people are going to compare the greats of the day with players like Goodes and us old-timers will all smugly recount watching one of his myriad of game-breaking turns.

#37 - You bloody legend!!!!

I agree with this. Without a doubt!

I can't believe he has retired. It's really hard to believe. Such a champion of the game. Future Hall Of Famer and Legend of the game.

Don't know who will ever wear his number again but it'll be weird seeing someone else wear it

Great champion of the game.
We will retire his number.

No one will ever do it justice

We will retire his number.

No one will ever do it justice
Maybe for a few years no one will wear it. Maybe Mills? But I doubt it. Retire it for a few years

If it were up to me, i would retire for ever. At least we can show the great man the respect he deserves

Yup, I'm with you on that. Goodes is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of player. And it's not like it's a highly sought after number either. Put up a statue of the number 37 outside the ground as a standing tribute to him. Cometh the moment, cometh the champion!!!

The guy deserved a lap of honour but thanks to the boo brigade he quietly exited stage left.

One of the saddest days in the history of the Sydney/SM Swans.

Thanks Adam!

Yup. Sad that he felt he had to go quietly. He deserved a huge send off.

I'm sure they will organise something for him at a home game next year. We'll at least I hope they do. Both Adam and the fans deserve one last chance to see him off.

Champion. Thank you Adam Goodes for being a role model, inspiration and an absolute legend.

Probably the most influential player ever in AFL history, he has changed the way we look at race not just in the AFL but in Australia. Has woken us up and changed Australia in a good way.

Thanks Adam!

Well done on one of the great careers and good luck for your next step in life.

I think Adam is one of the most talented and promising young talents in Australia and hope that he continues to use his profile for whatever cause he deems appropriate.

OK, I'm in a better state of mind to post ITT now I think.

I'm just really sad that we've seen the last of Adam Goodes. I don't mean because I wish he had kept playing, we all think his body probably can't take another year of pounding (although I'd still back him to have his body in pristine condition for finals and big matches had he played on, that's just what he does). I'm sad that I'll never be able to see him galloping around in the 37 anymore. Sad that I won't be able to see him give those weird straight-armed high 5's that he enjoys offering teammates. Sad that I'll never see his flying marks. Sad that I'll never see him turn a game on his own when it's needed again. Sad that I'll never see his left foot snaps on goals that were as deadly as his right foot snaps. Sad that I'll never see him steam out of the square and kick goals that .01% of players ever have been able to. Sad that I'll never see the final playing link of what the club was 17 years ago when I first started supporting as an 8yo. That's part of why he means so much to me. The club as a whole holds a really special place in my life and I've only ever known the club with that athletic, humble and graceful superstar wearing the number 37. I certainly hope the number is retired. I suspect Adam himself wouldn't be in favour of it but I'd happily retire 37 (and 14, btw) right now if I was given the choice. But I digress...

It's been such a pleasure to watch the prodigiously talented young man turn into a bona fide superstar (who perhaps had some leadership still to develop) and then turn into the wise older stud who fearlessly leads the way on and off the field. No qualms with sticking his neck out on the line for something he believes in. No fear of the consequences when he believes he is doing the right thing. No apprehension for the pitfalls of losing when the glory of winning is still attainable. And even though I'm a little glum now, seeing the side run out without him in the group will just be bizarre. I don't even know how I'll handle it.

It's been down right depressing seeing him booed and jeered, taunted and racially scolded into retirement but I'm glad he has gone out his own way. He doesn't feel beholden to tell everyone what he's doing and he wants not to be in the spotlight. I just know that at the first home game next season, there better be a glorious celebration of him or I'll be disgusted. He'll be celebrated at the Skilton Medal but I cannot wait for his lap of honour at the SCG next year. And it better not be before the game while some people are still making their way to their seats. Advertise properly that it is going to be at halftime and cancel Auskick for the day. Sorry, kids. A statue at the SCG to be unveiled. A motorcade. Bring all the club greats to the SCG for the day. Hell, invite every player to have ever played with Goodes to attend. What a sight that'd be! Get them all there to celebrate this wonderful champion and the remarkable effect he's had on this club and the people of our club.

I've always been pretty cynical when it comes to meeting famous people or celebrities. I mean, they're just people, right? So if ever I see a celebrity walking in the street or ordering a coffee, it doesn't bother or excite me that much at all. But when I saw Adam Goodes in a bar one night a few years ago - granted I had had a few drinks and was perhaps more excitable than normal - I couldn't contain myself. I was a bucket of nerves. I had to approach him though. Here was a man who has meant so much to me and so much to the club I love. Selfish as it is, I had to go up to him, take a bit of his time and show him my appreciation for him. I approached, tapped him on the shoulder as he was waiting for his drinks at the bar and I can still remember exactly what I said to him. I said: "hello, I've been a member of the Swans since I was 8 years old and I just had to come over and tell you what an honour it is to meet you". He looked me in the eye, smiled a half-drunken smile, asked me my name, shook my hand, hugged me and then started dancing to the shitty club music blasting. I was in shock. I couldn't have wanted or expected more.

I'm left with so many memories of him. I won't even go into what he's done off the field as an ambassador and advocate at this stage, he won't stop being those things. I'd prefer to keep it on the field. In random order, his 2003 season of brilliance in the ruck, his goal off his left foot in the '05 GF, his goal out of the middle in the '06 GF, his goal late in the '12 GF on a busted knee, his throwing his body around late in the '12 GF on a busted knee, his goal out of the middle against Essendon in 2011, his mark over Bachar Houli at the MCG against Richmond in 2011, his game against Richmond in MOL's 300th game in which he was BOG, his mark against Brisbane at the Gabba in '03, his 8 goal game against Freo to win us the game at the SCG in '08, time after time after time of standing up in big matches and finals when others wilted, the minutes applause for him at the SCG this year against Adelaide, his 4 goal game against Essendon in 2013 after the Collingwood Indigenous round incident, that Collingwood game itself in which he was by far BOG, his BOG game in Geelong against the Cats to break their winning streak at home after McVeigh's daughter died, his game in Adelaide against the Crows in 2005 when he nearly dragged us to victory on his own, every time he's played at the SCG and been introduced with rapturous applause. I could definitely think of more, but you get the point.

As I said before, I'm so grateful that Adam Goodes was drafted to the Sydney Swans and played out his entire career with us. As a footballer and a man, he is one of a kind. I've heard Charles Barkley talk about NBA superstar from the 90's Hakeem Olajuwon quite often and he had a great way of describing him. He would say that Hakeem was one of the very few players in the league he considered to be an honourable man. A brilliant superstar of a player. But an honourable man first and foremost. Applicable to Goodes too, I feel.

Thanks for everything, Adam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post S120

May favourite personal memory is that he broke magics games record down in tassie and i got to hold the banner for the club to run through and meet the great man before the game as they arrived as i did

Stopped and signed an autograph for my sister and I, asked our names, super friendly

To me his career defining moment will always be his performance in the 2012 grand final. I'll never forget how he set up those goals for Mitch after doing his knee. I don't really have anything else to add, his achievements speak for themselves, we have been lucky to have been able to witness his career. He will always be a champion in my eyes, one of the greatest players ever to wear the red and white.

I just feel sad by the idea that he may of played on bar the silly opposition fans

I hope he went because he wanted and that he announced it later because he wanted, because if ever someone deserved a chairing off its him

It was an honour to be at Adam Goodes last game.

He was a champion of the game and a credit to your club and himself.

He kept you guys in it last night

FWIW I gave him a standing ovation when he kicked his last goal and at the end of the game when he went off. He's a humble man and deserved to be chaired off the ground by legends of the game.

Absolute champion.

I just feel sad by the idea that he may of played on bar the silly opposition fans

I hope he went because he wanted and that he announced it later because he wanted, because if ever someone deserved a chairing off its him

No, I think this was always going to be his last year. He played some great footy at times, but his ability to chase and defend wasn't what it used to be. He gave everything he had right up to the very end, and in doing so set a fantastic example for the younger players in the team. Whether he was chaired off or not doesn't matter to me, really. Remember it was his choice to retire the way he did.

Hopefully we can play Geelong in our first home game and Goodes can do a lap.

I was heartened by the way the Cats fans treated Goodes down at Kardenia a few weeks ago and I reckon their fans would get a kick out of being part of a proper send off.

Hopefully we can play Geelong in our first home game and Goodes can do a lap.

I was heartened by the way the Cats fans treated Goodes down at Kardenia a few weeks ago and I reckon their fans would get a kick out of being part of a proper send off.
Will long remember how they showed the rest of the morons how to be decent human beings. Respect Cat fans.

Thanks Goodsey. Very sad it ended this way but thanks for all you've given to our club over all these years. We'll miss you and always remember you as one of our greatest players (if not the greatest).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back