Injury Season 2016 Injury news/updates thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to me smart and motivated just to train to be a physio. You have to be the best of the best in Australia to be one of 18 AFL head physios.....but blind Freddy could see it?

Yea I could. He was clearly hampered and struggling to run. I made note of it at the time and was astounded when he came back on.

Also, you could clearly see his knee took the brunt of the impact at the time of the incident which is why I was also bemused when it was listed as a calf injury.

I called it incompetence on behalf of the medical staff at the time and I'll stand by that call until Thursday when I'll ask the man himself.

Round 20/21 is fine for caddy,we can cover him until then so long as we get him back for finals.

Be interested to see what update we have on scooter tomorrow.vfl team has the bye next wk so hopefully he returns the week after-9th july vs northern blues.

Please. This is not an 8 week injury.

Wait for the "Good news as Caddy returns earlier than expected" feature on geelongcats.com.au

Bookmark it.
I'm actually expecting the 'Caddy has a setback' feature, but call me a pessimist when it comes to the medical staff and the information we're fed.

I'm actually expecting the 'Caddy has a setback' feature, but call me a pessimist when it comes to the medical staff and the information we're fed.
Ah, but if you inflate the original estimate by 200% you build-in scope for a setback. ;)

The only concern here is whether the treatment requires brace/physio only, OR surgical repair initially. Some MCL's (rare) just will remain lax without surgery, and it depends on where it was torn.
The surgery delays proceedings, no doubt.
End result if surgery not indicated is good.
Bartel had surgery, and an infection-complication.
End result with surgery and no complications is also good.
End result for Bartel was eventually good- see 2016 form, but he wasn't much chop late 2015
And, with no concomitant injuries, this is also good.
So, overall, this is a good scenario for Caddy. NO SURGERY-Tick. NO OTHER INJURIES-Tick. GOOD PRE-SEASON-Tick
As long as we can cover him- I am sure we can- we should see him return around rd 20. But don't hold me to that, just surmising.

Setbacks with knees generally relate to infection, or problems with the donor site for Hamstring grafts for ACL's, neither of which is relevant here.
Of course, he could tear a calf /hammy/ quad in his rehab.......

Not sure why teams don't tag Selwood he's shown over the years he doesn't handle a tag very well. Teams might start again and the loss of Caddy will make that worse. He provides strength and assistance to Sel and Danger.
Makes the opportunity for Menegola to play that role. And if he can't then Scooter when he comes back.
Caddy is an important cog who also kicks goals will be a loss. Hopefully he is able to come back and play good footy for the finals.

Might have already been mentioned before but if i was Caddy i would be most upset and pisssed off with that Footscray player who caused the injury

When i 1st heard he hurt his knee - i thought it was from twisting or turning which would have just been bad luck - but it wasnt - Caddy was standing in basically a stationey position - and a Footscray player in a totally reckless and unnecessaty action dives in low down to the ground - and basically crunches into the back of Caddys leg with his shoulder and Caddys leg buckles - that was a nasty incident that and totally unneccesay

Not that it's really relevant anymore, but after seeing the replay of Cadds' injury multiple times, why wasn't a free kick paid for contact to the legs?
Did wonder that. Of course who knows which of the four Umpires was watching at that moment, so many of them it is simply four interpretations instead of three and despite CH 7 banging on about their experience their competence is still under question.

Not that it's really relevant anymore, but after seeing the replay of Cadds' injury multiple times, why wasn't a free kick paid for contact to the legs?

That was exactly my first thought when I saw it. The rule was brought in to dissuade exactly that kind of injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is, all this angst about our medical staff by non trained observers from a distance is bemusing.
Sure at AFL some risks are taken (SJ 2011) that's the nature of the beast.

A quick look at other clubs injury lists will tell you we are not Robinson Caruso when it comes to defining how long said player will be out for?

One example Elliot of Collingwood, initially a TBC, then hopeful of mid season return and now doubtful again.

Why, cause we are all biologically different, heal at different rates, lax or disciplined in our rehab, suffer setbacks. the list goes on. So to to get all grumpy about our Medical staff is a little unwarranted to say the least.
Dan Menzel is a wonderful example of prolonged faith and work, by largely the same team who apparently have no idea.

the one thing that is frustrating is when said injured player just goes missing for weeks, any update, bad or good should be given

Interesting that Guthrie, Cockatoo and GHS are listed as Test on this week's Injury Report...would be nice to see the latter two get a run in the VFL. But I guess the most likely scenario is in 2 weeks time, post-bye.
Where is that?

Nakia Cockatoo is in full training after recovering from the knee injury he suffered against West Coast in round seven and his return game is imminent.

Cats physio Mark Young delivered the good news on the young midfielder in the latest episode of nib Medical Room.

"Nakia's making great strides," Young said. "He's in full training now and we'll just consider our options this week and next with how we progress his rehab.'

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-06-22/cocky-comeback-nears

Remove this Banner Ad

Back