Opinion Hurn... is he the right guy for captain?

Is Hurn the right guy for captain?

• Yes, he is the best because he is a good guy and he has receding hair.

• No, let him back off the leash to be a beast like Brock Lesnar.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shuey firming for mine. Just goes all day. Really improved his leadership this season.
I didn't sponsor him for nothing.

His work rate late in 2015 and his leadership and game in the QF against Hawthorn was sublime.
Granted he choked like everyone else in the GF but he still worked hard to be on the end of the ball and gave himself every chance to make something of it.

Hurn was great today but a a West Coast member i wouldn't be opposed to Shuey getting the captaincy.

Shuey firming for mine. Just goes all day. Really improved his leadership this season.
As the lads walked out the race today he was the one that turned and gave them encouragement.

Think he has come along in leaps and bounds in 2016.

As the lads walked out the race today he was the one that turned and gave them encouragement.

Think he has come along in leaps and bounds in 2016.

I was going to make a point of this, but you beat me to it. He does this every week. Runs out, stops, turns around and gets the boys going. Hurn, he just runs out and sort of looks distant from most players. It's hard to read Hurn, from his body language, especially when they're about to go through the banner at times, if I didn't know better I wouldn't have thought he would be the captain, let alone a leader. I was all for Hurn to become captain (Waters was my first choice) but now I'm not as stoked with the selection, although it probably was the right choice at the time. Hopefully Boots will take over at some point soon-ish. Starting to really lead from the front in the midfield. The boys love him and he absolutely loves this club (not saying Bunga doesn't) and he has strong relationsships with the more seasoned players and the younger lads, something that, from the outside, isn't as visible with Hurn. But yeah Boots is my next choice, then Gov, then Duggo.

How long has it been since we've had a vocal leader? Since Cousins? Judd and Glass were never overly vocal IIRC.

Not sure about his leadership credentials, but his game was good yesterday. He looked like he wanted the ball, and made good decisions.

I didn't mind the pat on the back he gave Pav. I reckon Hurn is actually a good bloke, and not the Hodgy type, the real type. So he didn't push him over and rub his face into the dirt. Had he done it Walters I'd be pissed, cause that ducking campaigner deserves a few, but Pav's last derby, champion of WA footy, Give him a pat, say back luck mate, you're career is over, and your team is as s**t now as it was the day you arrived.

A proper team doesn't need one leader. This isn't braveheart.

If our boys r looking for tricks to motivate and get them going then they aren't going to have an afl career for long. Motivate urselves u dumb asses. That's the problem with society today. Take ownership of how u feel and ur own mental state.

A proper team doesn't need one leader. This isn't braveheart.

If our boys r looking for tricks to motivate and get them going then they aren't going to have an afl career for long. Motivate urselves u dumb asses. That's the problem with society today. Take ownership of how u feel and ur own mental state.
problem is that we have 3 leaders. Jk, shuey and bunga. shuey is the only inspirational type. good teams have 5-6 strong leaders.

Going to give this a bump.

The teams last two finals performances have been inexplicably woeful & Shannon turns 30 next year. Nothing against Bunga, but he has always seemed like a reluctant leader.

Is it time to put the 'C' next to the name Luke Shuey? He was one of the few who actually tried last night & is the right age to lead this club for 4-5 years.

Is there any chance at all that this club makes a hard call like that? I won't hold my breath...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to give this a bump.

The teams last two finals performances have been inexplicably woeful & Shannon turns 30 next year. Nothing against Bunga, but he has always seemed like a reluctant leader.

Is it time to put the 'C' next to the name Luke Shuey? He was one of the few who actually tried last night & is the right age to lead this club for 4-5 years.

Is there any chance at all that this club makes a hard call like that? I won't hold my breath...
Unless you're caught smoking some s**t out of a crack pipe, the WCE don't swap out captains like you're suggesting. We just don't. Just like we aren't ruthless at the trading table with players on the list.

It's a fine line. We comment that once players get here (interstates in particular) that they seem to love the club and are for the most part, pretty loyal. That sort of loyalty is developed by in no small part not arsing players, captains etc.

As I said, it's a fine line.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Unless you're caught smoking some s**t out of a crack pipe, the WCE don't swap out captains like you're suggesting. We just don't. Just like we aren't ruthless at the trading table with players on the list.

It's a fine line. We comment that once players get here (interstates in particular) that they seem to love the club and are for the most part, pretty loyal. That sort of loyalty is developed by in no small part not arsing players, captains etc.

As I said, it's a fine line.

I agree with these sentiments. For hypothetical sake. If Shuey was made Captain next year do you think it would have a negative impact on the group, potentially create tension amongst certain circles at the club?

I agree with these sentiments. For hypothetical sake. If Shuey was made Captain next year do you think it would have a negative impact on the group, potentially create tension amongst certain circles at the club?
I think so. Unless Hurn says he wants to step down, it is pretty much the club saying they got it wrong and don't think he is the best for the job. It's a slap in the face for Hurn. Sure, he is a pro, he does genuinely care about the club and wants what's best for it and would get on with it if that was the decision, but I think it destabilises the group.

You know what a workplace is like. People talk. As Close as they may be as a group, you can see they have little sub-groups. There's the potential for those things to eat into the harmony of the team.

Love ol mate Bunga but I don't think he's the right man for the job.

For me there are 3 clear options.

- Shuey
- Kennedy
- Barrass
slab-cropped-jouster-4012-frymeme.png

Love ol mate Bunga but I don't think he's the right man for the job.

For me there are 3 clear options.

- Shuey
- Kennedy
- Barrass
I think Shuey is the standout tbh. There's plenty of talent, but lots of grunt and talent. And while he has really got on top of his brainfades and getting rubbed out, I love that he has a bit of mongrel about him. We miss that. Judd, Glass and Hurn just almost too nice/boring.

Shuey, Nata or JK....players that can influence a game and inspire something from the team.

Nothing about Hurn screams out leader.

Boys wouldnt have let Woosha lose his 200th

Do they play for Bunga?

Back