Game Day AFL Swans v GW$ Giants - QF

Remove this Banner Ad

Go down the road in Blacktown or mt druitt and ask a random 100 people to name A GWS player
See how many correct answers you get
Sorry to sound like a victim but I reckon the AFL have cheapened the premiership for years to come
I get really frustrated at stupid stupid comments like that

1. I voted this morning in Narellan (50 mins west of Sydney) and a few people in that line alone had giants gear on.
I was on my way to the game and had my scarf on. Several people said go giants to me.

2. This whole expansion is about "Growing the friken game" in a non AFL area. Who gives a s**t how many of your 100 in blacktown can name a player. They are growing the game and thats the whole plan.

Its so frustrating seeing all my fellow freo fans crapping on all the time about their "12 supporters" bla bla bla. Did you think starting a team in a non AFL area was going to have 100 000 members sign up straight away ? It is big finals wins like today that get new fans on board. And that is why they put a team in Western Sydney in the first place.

The concessions were because in a "Non AFL area" 100 point flogginfs every week doesnt get people through the gate and "grow the game"

Some people are so darn stupid and childish to be honest

The concessions were because in a "Non AFL area" 100 point flogginfs every week doesnt get people through the gate and "grow the game"
True but they didn't have to practically gift them that much cream of the nation's talent to potentially create a super team. There's a thing called middle ground.

1. I voted this morning in Narellan (50 mins west of Sydney) and a few people in that line alone had giants gear on.
I was on my way to the game and had my scarf on. Several people said go giants to me.

2. This whole expansion is about "Growing the friken game" in a non AFL area. Who gives a s**t how many of your 100 in blacktown can name a player. They are growing the game and thats the whole plan.

Its so frustrating seeing all my fellow freo fans crapping on all the time about their "12 supporters" bla bla bla. Did you think starting a team in a non AFL area was going to have 100 000 members sign up straight away ? It is big finals wins like today that get new fans on board. And that is why they put a team in Western Sydney in the first place.

So competition fairness takes a backseat to growing the game! The concessions have gone way to far.

Get a grip, they could have helped them to some extent but they practically put the premiership cup into a trophy cabinet for them, how is that fair to the competition

True but they didn't have to practically gift them that much cream of the nation's talent to potentially create a super team. There's a thing called middle ground.
Unfortunately it was our team that taught the AFL a lesson. Freo should have been given a hell of a lot more and we were in an AFL hinterland and did have a big following from the start.

But after all this time we are still chasing a maiden flag. But we still have the support and passion necause of where we are located

So from that lesson they cha ged the way the looked at expansion teams

Everyone seems to forget Gold Coast glt the same and they are still struggling. GWS did a much better job with what they were given

Get a grip, they could have helped them to some extent but they practically put the premiership cup into a trophy cabinet for them, how is that fair to the competition
Thats the thing they havnt though. The giants licked these players. The kids are good but the difference is the experienced players. the AFL didnt tell them to get Mumford, Shaw, Griffen, Steve Johnson. Without these guys and guys like Callan Ward and Phil davis the giants would not be a good as they are. They have traded smart

Thats the thing they havnt though. The giants licked these players. The kids are good but the difference is the experienced players. the AFL didnt tell them to get Mumford, Shaw, Griffen, Steve Johnson. Without these guys and guys like Callan Ward and Phil davis the giants would not be a good as they are. They have traded smart
Obviously still much easier to get players to live on the East Coast (even if around GWS) than over in the West

QUOTE="StingBitten, post: 46643956, member: 132229"]My family all live in and around Blacktown - they don't give a s**t about AFL. And they never ******* will.

I barely see anyone wear any GWS gear since they got into the afl comp and with having lived my whole life in western sydney its a rugby league town and always will be with the soccer number 2 with the wanderers in the summer. The swans will always be the main afl team in sydney no matter how successful GWS are.[/QUOTE]

I saw a few Orange jumpers in the crowd tonight. So maybe when the rent a crowd people deposit their jumpers in the good sammy bins you might see a few more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QUOTE="StingBitten, post: 46643956, member: 132229"]My family all live in and around Blacktown - they don't give a s**t about AFL. And they never ******* will.

I barely see anyone wear any GWS gear since they got into the afl comp and with having lived my whole life in western sydney its a rugby league town and always will be with the soccer number 2 with the wanderers in the summer. The swans will always be the main afl team in sydney no matter how successful GWS are.[/QUOTE]

The arrogance of 'converting' League fans to the more exciting brand has sociological underpinnings. It's something elite society (AFL frontrunners) think is as simple as switching stockbrokers because the other has the better deal.

The suburbs around there are like tribal-communities, the land is their game and there overarching religion is Rugby. Watch flicks like Redfern Now - they are a world within a world.

It can't change because it's part of the concrete and in the blood.

This doesn't change in twenty years - the kids convert from League to Footy in the leafy East because #kidsafety.

Never West though.

I barely see anyone wear any GWS gear since they got into the afl comp and with having lived my whole life in western sydney its a rugby league town and always will be with the soccer number 2 with the wanderers in the summer. The swans will always be the main afl team in sydney no matter how successful GWS are.

Sorry mate but a total crock of s**t. I also live in Western Sydney and am a giants member because as a passionate freo foundation member i love watching live footy.

I have been really proud watching the game grow and it truly has.

Your view is a bitter a twisted version of the truth because the giants are doing well this year and our beloeved Freo didnt

Exactly. The comments of the AFL Commission confirm that they they will do whatever it takes to make GWS successful. They could barely contain their delight today.

It's a complete slap in the face to the fans and members of the other clubs whose money makes the AFL world go round. Fans like us, who had our club set up to fail for our first 5 years or fans of traditional Victorian clubs who have never witnessed a premiership in their lifetimes.

If you think they're all going to sit back happily while GWS dominate for the next decade, then think again. You can only serve up self interested BS to people for so long.

Sorry mate but a total crock of s**t. I also live in Western Sydney and am a giants member because as a passionate freo foundation member i love watching live footy.

Your view is a bitter a twisted version of the truth because the giants are doing well this year and our beloeved Freo didnt
Like your point .

So is the PF only going to be played in front of a crowd of 24,000 max or have I got that wrong?

I have never been to NSW in my life and if I did I would stick East.

Thanks Meima

I want Freo to be as successful as all of us, but we also have to be grown ups and not cry like someone stole our sandwich in the playground
I actually dont mind gws to win it. As in wafl i am supporting a team such as peel . I will look like a hypocrite if peel go all the way to win it .

And heres's me thinking your other team was West Coast :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back