MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL discussion - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Swans still had $600k of COLA this year and next year when it's phased out it will effectively be replaced by a "rent subsidy" (same for GWS). I don't really know why people make excuses for them, along with the academies they get a serious leg up on the rest of the competition. Hard to see Sydney or GWS missing finals for the next decade at least.
Because the impact it's having is overstated. They're recruiting and development is basically the best in the league. It's not COLA that is making them a good club. They'd be like hawthorn without it. Players would take less cash to go there
Don't whinge about academies. All clubs are going to get them. We are getting one in NT. We got Viney (a top10 pick) for pick 27.

Not to mention anyone who follows clubs who have won flags pre afl days can't sook. Zoning rules were 10000000 times worse than academies

Because the impact it's having is overstated. They're recruiting and development is basically the best in the league. It's not COLA that is making them a good club. They'd be like hawthorn without it. Players would take less cash to go there
Don't whinge about academies. All clubs are going to get them. We are getting one in NT. We got Viney (a top10 pick) for pick 27.

Not to mention anyone who follows clubs who have won flags pre afl days can't sook. Zoning rules were 10000000 times worse than academies
I disagree about the impact being overstated. Add three guns to our side and see what impact it would have. Franklin, Heeney and Mills would immediately be our best three players, which would push out M. Jones, Dawes, Michie etc. it would make an enormous difference. And while COLA is being phased out, they are going to benefit from it for another six years until buddy's contract finishes. Academies are just a rort and should be eliminated across the board. Otherwise get rid of the draft and equalisation measures altogether.

I disagree about the impact being overstated. Add three guns to our side and see what impact it would have. Franklin, Heeney and Mills would immediately be our best three players, which would push out M. Jones, Dawes, Michie etc. it would make an enormous difference. And while COLA is being phased out, they are going to benefit from it for another six years until buddy's contract finishes. Academies are just a rort and should be eliminated across the board. Otherwise get rid of the draft and equalisation measures altogether.
So you don't like our NT academy then and are going to tell the club, as a member, that you want it shut down?
Id take a couple of our blokes over heeney and mills frankly. If you don't like academies, you don't like father son. The bidding is the same

But we can play your game, take out PJ and Roos and what happens to our club
(Also not sure why you're saying they'd replace Dawes and michie, are you saying one will play at casey and the other will spend most of the year at casey, then get injured. Neither Dawes or michie are regulars in our side. So heeney, mills and buddy would not replace them)
Buddy would've gone to the swans with our without cola. They offered him 9 years, that was the selling point. The hawks and GWS both offered more money per year, but their contracts were 4/5 years

The fact is you could make arguments about any teams advantages and why they have it better than others. Those that use their personal advantages properly are rewarded.

You could look at Melbourne and bring up our Scully compo, father son picks, AFL hiring Roos, and Frawley compo and cry foul as much as you could about Sydney and the COLA/academies.

We get to pick an academy player if no one takes him in the draft, we even have to tell everyone who we want to take so the other clubs get to have a close look.

The academies for the Vic clubs are an absolute joke. Comparing them to the current ones is embarrassing

The fact is you could make arguments about any teams advantages and why they have it better than others. Those that use their personal advantages properly are rewarded.

You could look at Melbourne and bring up our Scully compo, father son picks, AFL hiring Roos, and Frawley compo and cry foul as much as you could about Sydney and the COLA/academies.
Exactly. This is why it's stupid. Every club gets legs up.

We get to pick an academy player if no one takes him in the draft, we even have to tell everyone who we want to take so the other clubs get to have a close look.

The academies for the Vic clubs are an absolute joke. Comparing them to the current ones is embarrassing
HE called academies across the board a rort. Maybe have a crack at him, I don't have any issue with them. And am fairly certain clubs will push for similar rules to Sydney.
Also we don't get him if "no one picks him in the draft". We would have to use a pick to take them, only difference is we can't use the points system to pick them, but we can use that for father son

How many father sons has Sydney had? Does anyone know?

Exactly. This is why it's stupid. Every club gets legs up.

HE called academies across the board a rort. Maybe have a crack at him, I don't have any issue with them. And am fairly certain clubs will push for similar rules to Sydney.
Also we don't get him if "no one picks him in the draft". We would have to use a pick to take them, only difference is we can't use the points system to pick them, but we can use that for father son

How many father sons has Sydney had? Does anyone know?

I replied to you because you mentioned that Vic clubs have academies as well, but in reality they are a joke in comparison.

I replied to you because you mentioned that Vic clubs have academies as well, but in reality they are a joke in comparison.
He mentioned all academies mate
Not really at all. How many picks did Sydney end up giving up for heeney and mills? Don't they have less players on their list because they had to use pretty much all their draft picks on it
As someone's already said, you can find advantages from EVERY club to whinge about

Complaining about academies is either undeducated or bias.

He mentioned all academies mate
Not really at all. How many picks did Sydney end up giving up for heeney and mills? Don't they have less players on their list because they had to use pretty much all their draft picks on it
As someone's already said, you can find advantages from EVERY club to whinge about

Complaining about academies is either undeducated or bias.

What picks were used to get those two players you mentioned?

If a club can get a good father/son player once every 10 years then they're doing well, the academies are producing elite talent every year.
Sydney used a couple of picks in the 30's to get Mills who was easily rated in the top 3 prior to the draft.

The AFL removed the COLA from Sydney, but replace it with a 'Rent Subsidy'.

GWS will again have an extra $1m in their salary cap for 2017.

Basically, the integrity of the competition is shot

It's bullshit the swans got Mills and Heeney, however you can't ignore how they have developed blokes lime Allir, Hewitt, Paply , Rampe, Hannebery, Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell etc with late to nothing picks
Their development systems are easily the best in the AFL
Mitchell was a F/S who could easily have gone top 5 in a normal draft year, but otherwise spot on.

Mate they've been striped of COLA and even without a year of draft picks they managed to build one of the third youngest sides into what appears to be a Grand Final appearance. Compared to Geelong which acquired four players via trade, thinking they could leap frog into another power era after missing finals last year. I have more respect for the Swans then i do the cats. The cats are as arrogant as they are overrated
This.

I honestly don't care who wins the flag now, just stoked that it won't be Geelong or hawthorn!

What picks were used to get those two players you mentioned?

If a club can get a good father/son player once every 10 years then they're doing well, the academies are producing elite talent every year.
Sydney used a couple of picks in the 30's to get Mills who was easily rated in the top 3 prior to the draft.

The AFL removed the COLA from Sydney, but replace it with a 'Rent Subsidy'.

GWS will again have an extra $1m in their salary cap for 2017.

Basically, the integrity of the competition is shot
They gave up 33, 36, 37, 43 for mills. Which ended up being hibberd, bonner, Cole, Wagner. They have up their first pick for heeney.

The rent subsidy is nothing, it's an allowance for players living in Sydney and earning below average. The Giants are a start up club, of course they get bonuses.

Once every ten years for father sons? Geelong seemed to hit a jackpot with theirs. We've had two since the swans academy started. Gave up pick 26 for Viney and pick 42 for stretch. We've actually given less for our father sons than Sydney have for their academy. Dogs have had four since the academy started, three of whom would be in their top 5 players most likely, and they gave up pick 22, 41, and 49 for them. Sydney have had 4 in their history. Yet you're complaining about an academy that has seen 1100 kids go through and what 4? Have been drafted, in 6 years, and only two were wanted by other clubs. Sounds pretty similar to the current father son selections.

You're right. The competition is shot, every club would need to play each other twice, once home once away, the grand final would have to be moved, clubs would need to travel equal amounts, father sons and academies would need to be removed, priority picks removed, as would any afl assistance to clubs (or make equal dollars given to each club) for it to be even, probably need all grounds to be a set size

As I said, uneducated or bias.

They gave up 33, 36, 37, 43 for mills. Which ended up being hibberd, bonner, Cole, Wagner. They have up their first pick for heeney.

The rent subsidy is nothing, it's an allowance for players living in Sydney and earning below average. The Giants are a start up club, of course they get bonuses.

Once every ten years for father sons? Geelong seemed to hit a jackpot with theirs. We've had two since the swans academy started. Gave up pick 26 for Viney and pick 42 for stretch. We've actually given less for our father sons than Sydney have for their academy. Dogs have had four since the academy started, three of whom would be in their top 5 players most likely, and they gave up pick 22, 41, and 49 for them. Sydney have had 4 in their history. Yet you're complaining about an academy that has seen 1100 kids go through and what 4? Have been drafted, in 6 years, and only two were wanted by other clubs. Sounds pretty similar to the current father son selections.

You're right. The competition is shot, every club would need to play each other twice, once home once away, the grand final would have to be moved, clubs would need to travel equal amounts, father sons and academies would need to be removed, priority picks removed, as would any afl assistance to clubs (or make equal dollars given to each club) for it to be even, probably need all grounds to be a set size

As I said, uneducated or bias.

An elite player for a couple of picks in the 30's, FFS

Why don't the GWS players receive the rent subsidy as well? I find it hard to believe that someone on $250k p/a needs to have a rent subsidy

Anyhoo, I'm off, enjoy your day :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An elite player for a couple of picks in the 30's, FFS

Why don't the GWS players receive the rent subsidy as well? I find it hard to believe that someone on $250k p/a needs to have a rent subsidy

Anyhoo, I'm off, enjoy your day :)
"A couple of picks in the 30s" yeah, we already showed you lied there

I already said why GWS get a bonus to pay players

You've pretty much just proven my point. You get presented with facts, can't respond to them but continue your position. It's bias in your case, since you've been educated on the facts of the matter.

No one questioned the academy when no players were coming out of it.

An elite player (Viney) for one pick in the twenties, FFS the comp is so unfair

The Bulldogs banner today. :handok:

01aa8135-b2db-4f41-b324-d61c82bfa9f6.jpg

Carna doggies!

Bulldogs are gonna flog them. Pressure is too much

Have a bad feeling about this game. Dunno that the dogs are going to be able to kick a big enough score. Giants look more potent I think.
Giants look cooked. Pressure is getting to them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back