Toast Past Players, (a place to reminisce)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum & Josh coming on board has brought fond memories flooding back for a lot of posters.
Here's a place to post your favourite memory, game etc. (or maybe a not so favourite).

Many years after they have retired I have appreciated certain players.

Ben Johnson - my all time favourite was a very good kick and a great running defender, very underrated one of the great Pies.

Ryan Lonie - this might surprise people he was such class and a great running defender, In today's footy he would play 200 games

Tarkyn Lockyer - all the players who missed 2010 Premiership I really wished he had a spot, always reliable could do it all.

Paul Medhurst - loved how he played had some incredible games for Collingwood.

Anthony Rocca - heart and soul of Collingwood at one point enough said.

James Clement - Came to the club as an unknown, left the game as one of the most skilled, dependable players to ever play for the CFC. A true gentleman

Gun..........I hardly use that word.

Where does one start?

Tuddy kicking 7 in a final, Bobby Rose demolishing Melbourne at Viccy park on his own, 25 of Johnny Greening's best marks, 125 of Daic's best goals, the day Peter McKenna kicked 16.4 (100) on his own! Gavin Brown coming back on after being KO'd in the '90GF, Luke Ball's snap and Daisy's tackle in the last minute of that 2011 PF?

Too many...didn't even mention Carman, Manassa's GF defiance, Millane holding the ball in his broken hand as the '90GF ended, Didak and the shimeeeeee.....!!!

Chris Tarrant standing on Scarlett's head to take THAT mark. Barry Price or the Richardson brothers hitting McKenna's chest with another pass, The Rocca Brothers beating up on Essendon every ANZAC day.

I'll stop now....fingers hurt from the typing!

Callum & Josh coming on board has brought fond memories flooding back for a lot of posters.
Here's a place to post your favourite memory, game etc. (or maybe a not so favourite).
Excellent idea for a thread. I'd like to see a lot more of this sort of thing around here, our club has a wonderful history, and there's just so much that can be discussed!

Great thread. Defy any of the serial complainants to turn this into an argument!
Scott Russell was an efficient footballer who added some polish to the grunt of that early 90s outfit.
I also remember vividly Jason Cloke giving Carey a drubbing early in his Adelaide stint. That was poetry!

Great thread. Defy any of the serial complainants to turn this into an argument!
Scott Russell was an efficient footballer who added some polish to the grunt of that early 90s outfit.
I also remember vividly Jason Cloke giving Carey a drubbing early in his Adelaide stint. That was poetry!

Bucks gave Carey a bath one night at the MCG as well....may have been the night Diana died?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed. Carey was at his prime too. Showed the versatility of the great man. Still , for shear humiliation factor, Clokes effort was special.

I agree. Still wonder what might have happened if Jason had've played the 2002GF. He'd had a great year till then.

A link to this has been posted around here recently but for anyone who hasn't looked at it this is really worth checking out. BF moderator Gibbsy (who happens to be a Collingwood supporter) has put this together:- http://www.hardballget.net/youtubes-best-footy-channels.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxnKRyXabysUz2yB5Kh2Xcg

e.g. Go here ^ and you can see the full game where Peter Daicos kicks 13.1 against the hapless Bears in 1991. I can't think of many better ways to spend two hours!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkywvIZ6MQm5m4m9gQZa7CA

This one has plenty to offer as well. Overall, there's lots of good stuff to check out via the first link.

James Clement - Came to the club as an unknown, left the game as one of the most skilled, dependable players to ever play for the CFC. A true gentleman
And rated about 26th or so for Grand Pa Mick in his best 25 players in 50 years.

Loved Clement but what was Mick drinking when he came up with that? The Yarra River after the birdman rally?
Clement terrific player but not in best 250, sorry Mick.

Bucks gave Carey a bath one night at the MCG as well....may have been the night Diana died?
The Diana death was announced on a Sunday and filtered through half time on the MCG scoreboard by the 7 newsreader.
They did a news break thing I imagine in those days as channel 7 cross promotion.

We certainly played North that afternoon.

Loved Len Thompson as a little tracker.

Remember so vividly the drawn grand final of 1977.

My saddest loss was actually the prelim 1978 against North. Not sure why, just wanted to win that game.

Remember that Daicos goal...... ok, so many Daicos goals.....

Fabulous PHIL!

The wooden spoon 1976
And we had the most wins ever for a spoon side.

Had we beaten Fitzroy near the end of season they would have won the spoon not us

Living in Perth I had seen plenty of Clement at Freo and actually played school footy against him and was very excited when he came to Collingwood. He showed glimpses of what he eventually displayed at Collingwood while at Freo and I thought he was underrated, probably even by the Dockers

And rated about 26th or so for Grand Pa Mick in his best 25 players in 50 years.

Loved Clement but what was Mick drinking when he came up with that? The Yarra River after the birdman rally?
Clement terrific player but not in best 250, sorry Mick.
I haven't bothered to check out just what he came up with, but that one is a bit over the top. James Clement was a fantastic player but while perhaps a reasonable candidate as one of the best 25 Collingwood players in the last 50 years he's not close to being one of the competition's best 25 in that period by any means! Apparently he left Gary Ablett snr. off his list, if that's true then it's just bizarre, he's the best footballer I've seen in about 50 years of watching the game!!

Speaking of such things (and I imagine Malthouse didn't name our current coach as one of his top 25?!) as someone who loves picking teams/best of lists I tend to check out such things that are posted elsewhere on BigFooty and more and more I see Nathan Buckley's extraordinary career being ignored/disrespected. Clearly he was one of the greats of his era, and one of the finest our club has ever had. Perhaps it's the same sort of anti-Collingwood bias that saw us get no players at all in the official Team of the Century that's at play here! Probably twenty years from now Buckley will be talked about as "just a good ordinary player"!!

Rupert Betheras kicking two goals vs the Lions in a low scoring affair. Got us over the line. It was 2001 I think. It was the first time I can remember having belief that my team could make a run at a Grand Final. Most of my conscious footy memory was entrenched in the mediocre teams of the mid and late 90's. Thanks Rupe!

Paul Licurias 40 plus possessions against Port Adelaide to steal an unlikely final victory. I also won an indoor soccer grand final that night. A great night.

Burns hit on Voss.

A cold wet game at the MCG vs Geelong. First time I went to the footy. Saw Sav Rocca kick a goal from outside 50. We lost but I was stoked to see my hero kick a monster goal.

Anthony's free kick and goal after the siren vs Adelaide. That was a really happy time in my life and that was an awesome cherry on top.

Every intercept mark Clement took. Especially against the Lions. My all time favourite Pie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back