AFL Autopsy Round 6: 38 Point loss to Melbourne

Hold me?

• I got you bro!

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Eww gross.

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Have had a look at the replay and a few things stand out for mine.

Melbourne are well coached. Their set up through the middle while we had the ball was very good and tight. Stopped us from having easy ball through the middle and forced us into risky kicks that we turned over.

Shut out Parish from running through the back half of the square.

Did the Ablett defense on Z Merritt by allowing to get kicks in the back half but was watched closely forward of center.

Cam Pederson in the ruck was very good despite not winning the hit outs. Was able to use his body to move Tommy of the line just a little forcing him from hitting the ball where he wanted a lot of the time and giving the Melbourne midfielders a 50/50 shot at a clearance.

All of this was clear game plan stuff carried out very well.

On top of that when they finally stopped turning the footy over as well they blitzed us in the third quarter.

Despite being as soft as Dairy spread Jack Watts is a smart player with as much footy ability as most going around. Too bad our cream puff ruck did not try and hurt him at any stage. No way Mummy would have allowed Watts any quarter in the ruck. The way to keep him out of the game is physical pressure.

What killed us well. Joe's kicking killed momentum and spirit. 6 shots in a quarter for zero result. Even if he kicks 3 from 6 the game is a different scenario.

If we are going to play no run with and have a midfield shootout then you had better have the midfield to do it and we do not. As mentioned run and spread from our key players is not strong. They know Jobe and Hepp will struggle to get to the outside so they shut down the blokes who can. Melbounre made sure Parish was under control, they kept Zak under control through the middle and even when Wall went in they made sure he was not loose.
To compound this because we play midfield shoot out our defensive side is virtually a non event. BJ tried hard in that area which was good but had little support. Jobe was totally useless defensive wise. Zaka never looked like picking anyone up. Parish is young and needs to work on it. Zak M is not strong as far as workrate of the ball at all times. Can be a bit of a ball watcher despite being strong in the tackle department.
Colyer is too in and out of the game and an average defender.

Defensive effort aside as it is a no brainer that we need to fix it. What we need is what i have said for a long time. Variety. Long term Myers will replace Jobe. Dave is not quick but that is OK if he is your main clearance guy. Parish should be the first receiver as such who can win a clearance off the hands but it more you pace away from the contest. McGrath will play midfield and provide a similar role but most likely next year. Zak Merrit gets to play similar to how he does now. This still leaves us needing another inside clearance player, hopefully in the mold of an Ollie Wines who can spread as well and also more run and spread speed be that by a more consistent Colyer or someone else.
I like Walla playing forward with some quick midfield time. Raz in the same role is good. Not sure Green is the third answer. He is not quick and is a bit of a ball watcher with slow reaction time to a lot of things.

So what i am basically saying is unless Jobe and Stants can play to their elite best they are pretty much an anchor in the current game and our captain needs to be given some sort of role. Maybe he goes back to half back and the run from behind game or a wing that works from the back half. You can see him running to get free but his lack of pace in the congestion makes it hard for him to break clear.

As far as defense goes Baguley and Gleeson are struggling a little but i do not really have a major issue with out defenders. Hurls is Hurls. Ambrose has been very good. Hartley although in the seconds is a good defensive tall. IMO Brown has been good enough. The defense was under huge pressure from turn overs so it is hard to look good all the time.

In the end poor goal kicking in the second and third quarter, turnovers in the middle of the ground and the lazy defense of our midfielders killed us.
Strange year though. Pies beat the Cats after we look much better than them. Tigers come to a halt by a bigger margin than our beating. Baring injury looks like only 3 can win it IMO. Crows, GWS and the Dogs. Rest can please themselves.

Have had a look at the replay and a few things stand out for mine.

Melbourne are well coached. Their set up through the middle while we had the ball was very good and tight. Stopped us from having easy ball through the middle and forced us into risky kicks that we turned over.

Shut out Parish from running through the back half of the square.

Did the Ablett defense on Z Merritt by allowing to get kicks in the back half but was watched closely forward of center.

Cam Pederson in the ruck was very good despite not winning the hit outs. Was able to use his body to move Tommy of the line just a little forcing him from hitting the ball where he wanted a lot of the time and giving the Melbourne midfielders a 50/50 shot at a clearance.

All of this was clear game plan stuff carried out very well.

On top of that when they finally stopped turning the footy over as well they blitzed us in the third quarter.

Despite being as soft as Dairy spread Jack Watts is a smart player with as much footy ability as most going around. Too bad our cream puff ruck did not try and hurt him at any stage. No way Mummy would have allowed Watts any quarter in the ruck. The way to keep him out of the game is physical pressure.

What killed us well. Joe's kicking killed momentum and spirit. 6 shots in a quarter for zero result. Even if he kicks 3 from 6 the game is a different scenario.

If we are going to play no run with and have a midfield shootout then you had better have the midfield to do it and we do not. As mentioned run and spread from our key players is not strong. They know Jobe and Hepp will struggle to get to the outside so they shut down the blokes who can. Melbounre made sure Parish was under control, they kept Zak under control through the middle and even when Wall went in they made sure he was not loose.
To compound this because we play midfield shoot out our defensive side is virtually a non event. BJ tried hard in that area which was good but had little support. Jobe was totally useless defensive wise. Zaka never looked like picking anyone up. Parish is young and needs to work on it. Zak M is not strong as far as workrate of the ball at all times. Can be a bit of a ball watcher despite being strong in the tackle department.
Colyer is too in and out of the game and an average defender.

Defensive effort aside as it is a no brainer that we need to fix it. What we need is what i have said for a long time. Variety. Long term Myers will replace Jobe. Dave is not quick but that is OK if he is your main clearance guy. Parish should be the first receiver as such who can win a clearance off the hands but it more you pace away from the contest. McGrath will play midfield and provide a similar role but most likely next year. Zak Merrit gets to play similar to how he does now. This still leaves us needing another inside clearance player, hopefully in the mold of an Ollie Wines who can spread as well and also more run and spread speed be that by a more consistent Colyer or someone else.
I like Walla playing forward with some quick midfield time. Raz in the same role is good. Not sure Green is the third answer. He is not quick and is a bit of a ball watcher with slow reaction time to a lot of things.

So what i am basically saying is unless Jobe and Stants can play to their elite best they are pretty much an anchor in the current game and our captain needs to be given some sort of role. Maybe he goes back to half back and the run from behind game or a wing that works from the back half. You can see him running to get free but his lack of pace in the congestion makes it hard for him to break clear.

As far as defense goes Baguley and Gleeson are struggling a little but i do not really have a major issue with out defenders. Hurls is Hurls. Ambrose has been very good. Hartley although in the seconds is a good defensive tall. IMO Brown has been good enough. The defense was under huge pressure from turn overs so it is hard to look good all the time.

In the end poor goal kicking in the second and third quarter, turnovers in the middle of the ground and the lazy defense of our midfielders killed us.
Strange year though. Pies beat the Cats after we look much better than them. Tigers come to a halt by a bigger margin than our beating. Baring injury looks like only 3 can win it IMO. Crows, GWS and the Dogs. Rest can please themselves.
Admit it! You have a soft spot for TBell:)

Admit it! You have a soft spot for TBell:)

Actually I once did. In draft discussion in his year I had him top 20 . He seemed to be coming along well until he got injured in 2014. Trouble is he just lacks aggression for a big bloke. I defended him a lot early but alas I just have no love for soft players.

Look if you're worried about your kid hearing shocking things said then maybe keep them at home. People mad or otherwise tend to say stuff out of emotional frustration at the footy and have been doing so for decades. It's not new. There are places you can sit where that stuff is minimal at best but you'll struggle to find a place at the footy that's swear word/nutter free.

My dad took me to Windy hill as a kid and if you think our supporters are bad now, let me tell you it's old hat.

I'm not that precious about it and she has certainly occasionally heard swear words like that at home unfortunately (not from me!) I like tesla1962's example as it includes a nice social correction with humour. I'm sure it would have been entirely different if we had won, I was just hoping for a more memorable experience for my daughter.

I too have had the benefit of the Windy Hill experience with my Mum back in the eighties, although I remember it as being more entertaining - rose coloured glasses maybe? However the seriously pissed types were an occasional hazard, especially as a (female) teenager.

Actually I once did. In draft discussion in his year I had him top 20 . He seemed to be coming along well until he got injured in 2014. Trouble is he just lacks aggression for a big bloke. I defended him a lot early but alas I just have no love for soft players.
Our rucks are certainly a concern.

I personally believe a good midfield can make rucks look much better though so if we can work on our weaknesses it may not be a huge concern.

After watching the replay today it was late in the third that the Dees pulled away. I think Tippa went in the middle for the centre bounces and the Dees cleared it with ease. Also, during that spell a few things did not go our way which were baffling (Lewis' kick along the boundary and I think a free against Dea which resulted in a easy goal).

One of our biggest issues is ball watching and being sucked into the contest.

This passage of play stood out to me on Sunday just as I had to leave to attend an event.

Firstly we kick to to a 3v1 which is a bad decision by Goddard, what makes it worse is that one of the flying Melbourne players gets the ball first after it goes to ground.
3v1.jpg

Secondly we all rush to the man with the ball, note Green also ahead which makes nearly a 4 on 2 and we don't even win the ball until Hibberd handballs it into the ground and when we do finally get our hands on it we do two hand balls in a very contested situation that we lose control of. Also note the two open Demons player at the top of the screen for the quick kick. open space.jpg

Thirdly after we finally get possession we get too cute with the ball in a tight situation and when the tap on to Watson inevitably hits the ground all the Melbourne players swarm the ball, There is nothing Watson can do in this situation and Melbourne get a quick inside 50. swarm.jpg

This last still is the worst of the entire ordeal, after Brown goes back with the flight of the ball and drops the mark (courageous but ineffective) its HIS man that sneaks off to the top of the goal square all by himself that will net him an easy goal, but the absolute worst part is our positioning here we have 7, thats right 7, nearly half the team bunched together in the middle of the 50 and we can't even win possession of the ball, Melbourne will the ball back to the top of their 50 where the open man has appeared and its all over from there. If you watch as the ball enters their 50; Baguley, Goddard and Merrett are getting back but instead of setting up a wall or covering space they get sucked into the contest. positioning.jpg

I don't know if this is a coaching failure, fatigue or players just not being smart enough to know better but it is a glaring issue that happens in similar ways and has done for years.

Would love to know other peoples thoughts on this passage of play.

Last edited:
I'm not that precious about it and she has certainly occasionally heard swear words like that at home unfortunately (not from me!) I like tesla1962's example as it includes a nice social correction with humour. I'm sure it would have been entirely different if we had won, I was just hoping for a more memorable experience for my daughter.

I too have had the benefit of the Windy Hill experience with my Mum back in the eighties, although I remember it as being more entertaining - rose coloured glasses maybe? However the seriously pissed types were an occasional hazard, especially as a (female) teenager.
I know that feeling well. I did have the benefit of taking my daughter to the MCC members I guess. Let me tell you though it can horrid in there too so there's just no escape and in a way that's a real shame. :thumbsu:

I think we need to except that our back 6 was by far the worst on the field out of any game in round 6... By far..
Bags, Dea, Mckenna, Brown and McNiece are all either extremely inexperienced or have massive flaws in their game..
Once JD completely let the Demon's off the hook, their was never going to be any other outcome as that defence will never stand up..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of our biggest issues is ball watching and being sucked into the contest.

This passage of play stood out to me on Sunday just as I had to leave to attend an event.

Firstly we kick to to a 3v1 which is a bad decision by Goddard, what makes it worse is that one of the flying Melbourne players gets the ball first after it goes to ground.
View attachment 365280

Secondly we all rush to the man with the ball, note Green also ahead which makes nearly a 4 on 2 and we don't even win the ball until Hibberd handballs it into the ground and when we do finally get our hands on it we do two hand balls in a very contested situation that we lose control of. Also note the two open Demons player at the top of the screen for the quick kick.View attachment 365281

Thirdly after we finally get possession we get too cute with the ball in a tight situation and when the tap on to Watson inevitably hits the ground all the Melbourne players swarm the ball, There is nothing Watson can do in this situation and Melbourne get a quick inside 50.View attachment 365282

This last still is the worst of the entire ordeal, after Brown goes back with the flight of the ball and drops the mark (courageous but ineffective) its HIS man that sneaks off to the top of the goal square all by himself that will net him an easy goal, but the absolute worst part is our positioning here we have 7, thats right 7, nearly half the team bunched together in the middle of the 50 and we can't even win possession of the ball, Melbourne will the ball back to the top of their 50 where the open man has appeared and its all over from there. If you watch as the ball enters their 50; Baguley, Goddard and Merrett are getting back but instead of setting up a wall or covering space they get sucked into the contest.View attachment 365283

I don't know if this is a coaching failure, fatigue or players just not being smart enough to know better but it is a glaring issue that happens in similar ways and has done for years.

Would love to know other peoples thoughts on this passage of play.

I agree with all of what you say except for the initial kick from Goddard. He is clearly instructing players to move to the wing in support of Hooker because the risk is to great to take that kick up the middle.

We had been going down the middle all day and it was getting picked off, so quite rightly Goddard is playing the odds on that one.

The other thing that commits Goddard to that spot is the lead from Hooker. 17 minutes remaining in the game and the result gone but Hooker is attacking the contest like its two minutes into the game. It is why I will always excuse players like Hooker, Hurley, McKenna and Joe and a few others because they are the guys committing to the gameplay despite the scores.

The disappointing part about that play is mostly concerned with the part involving Jobe and the lack of support he's getting there. Their is three or four guys just watching and waiting for him to get it out when he is surrounded by no less than 5 Melbourne players. The ball comes out and our players are all standing on the wrong side of the pack and it goes forward with no pressure.

I've not played AFL but my goalkicking got better as I got older thanks to bio mechanics and practice.

Joe Daniher was hooking the ball last year.. .this year he is over correcting.
Problem starts with 1. his handling of the ball and 2. His drop
He pushed at a couple and didn't extend and stabbed at a few others.
I'd suggest slowing his action to less steps, stop spinning the ball and wear a glove on his right hand to stop him from holding the ball too tightly. WATCH THE BALL ONTO THE BOOT...don't look at the crowd or the goals... that's what the great forwards did.

I am glad you called people out although I have never been more annoyed at a player than I Was at Daniher yesterday. But eventually it got to the point where I was annoyed at anyone that passed it to him. It was blatantly obvious me was mentally shot re kicking for goal.

I might called out "Daniher, Nooooo!!!!!" but that was about
I think we need to except that our back 6 was by far the worst on the field out of any game in round 6... By far
Bags, Dea, Mckenna, Brown and McNiece are all either extremely inexperienced or have massive flaws in their game..

And Gleeson, who's been a liability all year.....I like Mcniece & think he's got the tools to be a nice half back in the mould of a Hibberd & Mckenna despite some flaws needs time to adapt with some leadership guiding him on field....think there's plenty of upside with him.

Bags, Dea, Brown & Gleeson aren't AFL standard. No way we're improving as a side with these blokes getting games. Omit & forget.

Just watched the replay. Far out we copped a couple of bad umpiring decisions at crucial times which resulted in Melbourne goals. Mckenna holding the ball was harsh, no prior and no incorrect disposal. Then the Jack Watts goal. They they kicked away.

Also on replay Daniher didn't miss many easy shots and was one of our better players.

I think Melbourne were just as bad as us and either team could have won.

After going through a range of emotions at the game yesterday including excitement, frustration, annoyance, exasperation and amusement I have come to the conclusion that yesterday tells me little about anyone in our team except that Hurley is back, McGrath continues to impress and TBC got some much needed game time.

Everyone and everything else simply falls under the category of us being a team who have young players in positions that require more seasoning to back up each week with returning players still getting their match conditioning. I think overall we are an improving team but part of that transition will include inconsistency. We are 3-3 after finishing 18th last season with realistically 6 underdone (match wise) players included in that team. Which begs the question, why such high expectations?

We will get more days like yesterday this year but I think the trick is to look at the overall trend longer term. I firmly believe we are on the right track and happy to give most players (losing my patience with Zaka) a mulligan regarding yesterday. Our baby is fine and growing in the right direction, no need to throw it out with yesterday's dirty bathwater.

Thanks MMR, saved me typing, almost word for word my thoughts - you're in my mind, man!!!

When you suggest putting our most damaging defender and number 1 backman on a 3rd tall is proving my point, we had no matchup for Watts. Brown can't go with him and Hurley needed to be in our defensive 50 unless it was on his own terms.

Caveman footy? Adelaide are flogging everyone, kicking 100pts+ a week and have Jacobs with Otten pinch hitting... GWS playing mumford in the ruck, lobb too?

If caveman footy is being on par with them I think majority of our supporters would be happy

Otten is not a ruck - He pinch hits like JD - You can think Watts is a third tall, but on Sunday he was the number one tall - Dea was not a suitable opponent for Watts.

My thinking was that McKenna and Gleeson should not both be put into in the same team at this time, particularly with Ambrose out. They are both too green and need support and direction (such as that provided by Kelly) at this stage of their careers. Yesterday, McGrath, Brown and Dea all played better than Gleeson and McKenna.

I have no issue with Gleeson and McKenna not being in the same team - Dea struggled which was more a case of the coaches performance, rather than Dea.

We were always going to struggle to hold the Dees' HF line, even if Kelly and Ambrose had played. Petracca and Watts are elite and Neal-Bullen has also shown promising form.

Petracca was flattered big time with his game - Was barely involved and got on the end of a few cheapies - Petracca hasn't come on as much as I expected, but of course he is still a young player.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay. Far out we copped a couple of bad umpiring decisions at crucial times which resulted in Melbourne goals. Mckenna holding the ball was harsh, no prior and no incorrect disposal. Then the Jack Watts goal. They they kicked away.

Also on replay Daniher didn't miss many easy shots and was one of our better players.

I think Melbourne were just as bad as us and either team could have won.
Not to mention the deliberate out of bounds by Lewis.

Joe's shots weren't difficult as such because most forwards would convert at least half of them.

The thing that Melbourne did well and we didn't adjust to was blocking the middle of the ground and forcing Joe to the pocket.

If we are going to be a good team we need to have a plan B for that scenario and I believe we would have been best served trying Joe further up the ground and opening up the forward line for the smalls.

Petracca was flattered big time with his game - Was barely involved and got on he end of a few cheapies - Petracca hasn't come on as much as I expected, but of course he is still a young player.
He is a good young player but definitely hyped up!

Back