Autopsy Rd 13 2017: Sydney v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Lockett was allowed to stand his ground and shove defenders in the back.
Yes, the 'in the back' rule was officiated differently in those days. However, that in no way compensated for the crap that he had to put up with. Umpires had a working theory that he was big enough and nasty enough to look after himself and, consequently, didn't need their assistance. The result of that was that defenders regularly got away with pretty much whatever they wanted to dish out and that meant fouling him on a consistent basis.

Without looking at any stats I thought Georgie Hewett had a fairly good game. But there is no one else in the team I would rather trust with a set shot from 35m out (apart from Mc Veigh). Slots them the majority of times. Reckon Lockett should work with Papley more to straighten out his set shot kicking routine.

Thought the scoreboard flattered Richmond early because we failed to take some chances. Great effort to pull ourselves back into the game despite most of our midfield below their usual output. Richmond could have put the game beyond us early in the last with some bad misses. Left the door ajar and took advantage for a great win.
Thought we closed down their run after quarter time by playing man on man so hopefully Longmire has found the way to stop the chipping game that we've struggled with all year. The defence got better as the game wore on and thought we took the game on a bit more in the last. Very happy to get the win but still plenty of improvement required.
Kudos to Newman who had a great game and has really adjusted to the pace of the game and is continuing to improve.

Yes Newman was good all day but outstanding in the last quarter- ferocious tackling, cool with ball in hand and when it was time to strand up in a one on one with a very good Rioli he delivered - he is going to be very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a nice goal but it was thirty metres out which is about his distance. How he keeps Dawson out is another Longmire selection travesty

Are you serious? Jack is a club warrior with weight of performance on the board. He has delivered. Hopefully Dawson will one day but he hasnt done anything yet. You can't promote blind hope over guys who have delivered.

I think you've forgotten how Lockett was umpired.
dude, he played in an era where it was one on one...not denigrating Locketts work, but if you think Lockett would get anywhere near 1300 goals playing they way Buddy cops it I think you are mistaken.

Just seeing some of the game again, Rance should be deadset embarrassed by the way he "defends".

He might be lauded by the Vic-centric numbskulls in the commentary box but he'll never hold a candle to any of the great backmen our game has seen because he's a scragging diving pretender who's got the umpires in his pocket.

That blatant hold on Buddy at the 50 metre arc was pathetic and I'm glad Bud shoved him onto his arse.

Rance should be grateful it wasn't Barry Hall otherwise the outcome would've been very different.

Just seeing some of the game again, Rance should be deadset embarrassed by the way he "defends".

He might be lauded by the Vic-centric numbskulls in the commentary box but he'll never hold a candle to any of the great backmen our game has seen because he's a scragging diving pretender who's got the umpires in his pocket.

That blatant hold on Buddy at the 50 metre arc was pathetic and I'm glad Bud shoved him onto his arse.

Rance should be grateful it wasn't Barry Hall otherwise the outcome would've been very different.

Barry hall would give away 45 frees to Rance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won every quarter after the first, which was very good.

We looked like a bottom 2 side in the first, which is very worrying.

I think that's the thing... season on the line, fresh off a really impressive performance last week, and we came out in the first quarter flat as. Leaves me with very little faith for pretty much any game the rest of this season even if we did end up in the 8 somehow

Are you serious? Jack is a club warrior with weight of performance on the board. He has delivered. Hopefully Dawson will one day but he hasnt done anything yet. You can't promote blind hope over guys who have delivered.

#runsontheboard rears it's ugly head once more... Jack played with a bung hip for the first month because we needed experience and he had "runs on the board", and it cost us. We ended up playing with 21 players virtually in each of those games. Gary Rohan comes back in, despite no form, and averaging less than 10 possessions a game, because he has "runs on the board." Aliir Aliir is dropped for his poor defensive efforts, while Heath Grundy and Nick Smith are secure despite their even-worse defensive efforts, because they have "runs on the board." It's weak coaching IMO and it goes back to round one where Longmire really ****ed it up. There just wasn't any indication from day one of the 2017 campaign that Horse was wanting to change things, which is whack considering we'd now lost two grand finals. Isn't insanity defined by doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result??

Significantly you refer to Jack's achievements in the past tense and Dawson's in the future. One of the reasons we are in 12th position is Longmire's selecting of players who are past it. Jack is past it as an elite footballer and gives us nothing for the future. Dawson is a superb long kick, marks well and versatile. When Jacks kicks over 40 metres get back to me. You don't pick players on their past. Its form. On form Dawson is a mile in front of Jack and will only get better. Jack wont

I think it's more important for Tippet to demand a recall than drop Sinkers who puts himself about and takes a toll on our opponents.
It is one of the necessary requirements of a ruckman to hold and take marks. Knocking blokes over is hardly sufficient reason for a ruckman to get a game. Sinclair doesn't take marks. Tippet does. If you play two rucks one of them must be able to hold grabs on the forward line. Another one of Longmire's genius selections

Legit riddle me this:

How did Newman and paps not get drafted???

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have a bigger one for you. Why wasn't Newman elevated out of the rookies last year and consequently didn't play in the GF and McVeigh did? If anyone suggests that Newman has greatly improved over the summer pre-season, I don't need to post on this Board to have my intelligence insulted

Plugger would have thrown him over the fence.

#thingsthatsoundfunnybutactuallyhappened :p

Rampe in the last cost us a goal by keeping the ball in. Nick Smith had his best game of the year in comparison.
And also, I think it was the 3rdQ, Dane burned Kieren, who was 20m in the clear, only to turn back inside and damn near turned it over. You could see it clearly because the camera was behind the goal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back