Votes: 16 3.2%
  • 2016 Luke Beveridge

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • 2017 Damien Hardwick

Votes: 91 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Longmire having only 2.2% in that poll right now shows how overrated he is.

Added Franklin and Tippett to a premiership team and has achieved nothing since. Inherited a team with bloods culture and an ability to punch above their weight talent wise and perform on the big stage and unintentionally installed Bondi culture with underachievement relative to list talent and crapping themselves on the big stage.

Bloods culture = JPK type player
Bondi culture = Luke Parker

Longmire was a large part of that club changing resulting in having too many Luke Parker types and not enough JPK's.

I'm not a Longmire defender but in 2012 when he did win I think he had changed the team style a lot from Roos and engineered the success

Since then it's a different story

I went for something different and picked Woosha. He had an absolutely elite list and won a flag by one point against a far inferior list.

An elite list? Yet others on BF would tell you outside of the superstar midfield we had nothing. Look back at threads from around that time. Quentin Lynch was a total spud and anyone with an ounce of talent would have kicked 100 goals with that midfield feeding him according to BF logic and the rest of the team were riding the midfield’s coat tails. Not sure why some people have re-written history to the Eagles being a supremely talented team and Sydney being a bunch of battlers. That’s what used to frustrate me most about games between the two back then. Defensive arm wrestles, they’d keep it close but then when they chose to turn it on, they could score quickly. No great surprise really for a forward line containing the likes of Hall, O’Loughlin, Davis and O’Keefe.

I actually think Chris Scott is a decent coach, but doesn't have enough talent.
Dangerfield, Selwood then a gap to Duncan and a further gap to Hawkins. Take a look at his bottom 10 now, and he's done very well to get them to multiple prelims.
Geelongs bottom 10 is a hell of a lot better then richmonds and its top ten is better too. Scott is a shite coach.

Longmire having only 2.2% in that poll right now shows how overrated he is.

Added Franklin and Tippett to a premiership team and has achieved nothing since. Inherited a team with bloods culture and an ability to punch above their weight talent wise and perform on the big stage and unintentionally installed Bondi culture with underachievement relative to list talent and crapping themselves on the big stage.

Bloods culture = JPK type player
Bondi culture = Luke Parker

Longmire was a large part of that club changing resulting in having too many Luke Parker types and not enough JPK's.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/sydney-swan-luke-parker-the-afls-most-courageous/

Elite list lol? More like an elite midfield which carried a whole heap of average players.

As ordinary as your forward line was, Lynch kicked 60-odd goals in the flag year, and aside from Cox, Cousins, Judd and Kerr, the side also contained Glass, Wirrpanda, Waters and Fletcher who were all AA players.

Braun, Embley, Chick, Banfield, Adam Selwood - these blokes weren’t mugs either.

8 All australians, possibly the best ruck/midfield combination of all time, half a dozen good to very good other players..... think you’re underselling the quality in that line up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As ordinary as your forward line was, Lynch kicked 60-odd goals in the flag year, and aside from Cox, Cousins, Judd and Kerr, the side also contained Glass, Wirrpanda, Waters and Fletcher who were all AA players.

Braun, Embley, Chick, Banfield, Adam Selwood - these blokes weren’t mugs either.

8 All australians, possibly the best ruck/midfield combination of all time, half a dozen good to very good other players..... think you’re underselling the quality in that line up.

Underselling the quality in the line up......something a large percentage of BF did back in 2006. Now someone wants to undersell Worsfold as a coach and it’s a supremely talented list. I remember these boards back then, Lynch was the classic example....complete spud according to BF and a decent key forward would have kicked 100 with that midfield. So which is it? Supremely talented list that Worsfold underachieved with, or outstanding midfield with average players around and a coach who made it work?

It stings that we did only get one flag in that era, but it depends which way you view it. ‘Only’ one flag that we snatched by a point OR, one Leo Barry mark away from two flags and then knocked out in 2007 with all of Cousins, Judd and Kerr injured at the worst possible time. Not many coaches would relish entering a final without those three.

Geelongs bottom 10 is a hell of a lot better then richmonds and its top ten is better too. Scott is a shite coach.
Maybe at Simonds, but a Premiership is won at the MCG
Most of your current list is too slow putting them behind a number of teams in the comp

I'm not a Longmire defender but in 2012 when he did win I think he had changed the team style a lot from Roos and engineered the success

Since then it's a different story
I do not necessarily think Longmire is the worst. Just that he is extremely overrated looking at the poll results. There does not feel like much difference between him and Chris Scott both with one crowning achievement. Collingwood 2011 were an extremely strong side and Scott punched above his weight to beat them despite the strength of Geelog just like Longmire used his cattle well to deliver above well expectations in 2012.

Since then I would argue Scott has actually delivered better relative to list strength than Longmire despite the disappointing finals results.

On behalf of the AFC I would like to apologise to big footy for not putting a lid on this garbage by defeating Richmond on Saturday.

Tigers fans - did scott need clarko's advice ? No he did not. Horse ? Beveridge ?

So who is the worst premiership coach now ? Dimma.

Dimma actually has a reasonable record coaching against Clarko. I assume Clarko gives him advice on how to beat him too?

Richmond fans are getting creative with just how many "is X (Richmond team/person) the best ever?"

You guys can win a premiership and enjoy it without having to be the best of all time in every area.

You already had the AFL gift Dusty a clean sweep (all deserved except norm smith) which gives him the best individual season ever but that's it.

Well take away the Freo goal after the siren and we finish top. You can add in the Giants beating the Tigers in the last 30 seconds and also the Sydney game if you like in which they got us in the lsat 2 minutes after we dominated all day. We probably should have finished on top anyway and were the best team all year. We really only put in 2 bad games for the year.

Once finals hit six goals was as close as the the other top three teams could get to us. Richmond were the best team in 2017 and you will just have to learn to live with it. RICHMOND PREMIERS 2017.

Well take away the Freo goal after the siren and we finish top. You can add in the Giants beating the Tigers in the last 30 seconds and also the Sydney game if you like in which they got us in the lsat 2 minutes after we dominated all day. We probably should have finished on top anyway and were the best team all year. We really only put in 2 bad games for the year.

Once finals hit six goals was as close as the the other top three teams could get to us. Richmond were the best team in 2017 and you will just have to learn to live with it. RICHMOND PREMIERS 2017.

I'm sorry beating up on bottom 10 opponents all year (doubling up 3 of the bottom 5) doesn't make you the best all year.

Celebrate your premiership by all means but at least acknowledge your soft draw meant that a minor premiership, had it happened, would not have been a fair reflection

Hardwick by so far it's not funny.

I think your missing the point. We have to acknowledge the super coaches of our time. Hardwick , Clarko and Bevo. All have taken over sides that were a train wreck when they started and taken them to Setember glory. I can understand your frustration with Scott with just what could have been if you had an elite coach.

The thing about Chris Scott is, whiles there's no question his teams have underachieved in finals since 2012, I think that Geelong has consistently produced above preseason expectations in his time. I'd say that when you consider that aspect, he's only really underperformed in 2012 and 2015. We were expected to make up the numbers in the eight in 2011/16/17, to fall away in 2013. Given the mass departures that we had at the end of 2013, I would say that finishing fifth (following a straight sets finals exit) was probably about par from what was expected of the team in preseason. I'd rate his seasons as follows, from where I remember us being expected to finish at the start of the year:
  • 2011: 10/10
  • 2012: 5/10
  • 2013: 8/10
  • 2014: 6/10
  • 2015: 3/10
  • 2016: 8/10
  • 2017: 7.5/10
I'd downgrade his 2016 and 2017 (and to a lesser extent, 2013) slightly because, while top four is nothing to sneeze at for most clubs, premierships were there for the taking in each of those years and despite having flawed teams Geelong failed to seize that golden opportunity (where other flawed teams, arguably more flawed teams, were able to capitalise).

Does Chris Scott actually get to decide the current Cats drafting/trading policy?

I would say he would have considerable input into it and his word would carry as much weight as any involved in the decision making process. End of the day though he has to integrate those players into his game plan and he has continued to achieve this successfully and has consistently also brought young and inexperienced players through the best 22 without any major drop off in overall performance.

I don't think he is a master coach or anything like that, but he's clearly very competent at his job and as MC Extra Dollop says has defied expectations of Geelong going over the so called cliff for the best part of a decade now. Their game has fallen down in finals which is no doubt a frustration, but each year they are in the thick of it and I would expect that trend to continue.

I'm sorry beating up on bottom 10 opponents all year (doubling up 3 of the bottom 5) doesn't make you the best all year.

Celebrate your premiership by all means but at least acknowledge your soft draw meant that a minor premiership, had it happened, would not have been a fair reflection

We played Adelaide once in the H&A - in Adelaide. Adelaide won.
We played Geelong once in the H&A - in Geelong. Geelong won.

Given what we have been told interminably over the last week that the only reason we won the flag is because we played the finals on our home ground, isn't it fair to assume that if the wizards at the AFL who pluck the draw out of their a*se every year had placed those two H&A games in Melbourne, it is reasonable to assume that Richmond would have won and thus finished on top?

Or even if Richmond just got to play the return fixtures against Adelaide and Geelong, Richmond would have won and thus finished on top? (Adelaide and Geelong played each other twice in 2017 - both won their home games). Geelong did not beat a Top-8 side away from home all season (drew with GWS). Adelaide beat one - Essendon. Richmond beat one - Port. (I'm not counting Richmond beating Essendon or Adelaide beating Port - neutral games).

The reason both Adelaide and Geelong finished higher on the ladder than Richmond is because they played their games against Richmond on their home grounds.

Back