List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best available, but with above average foot skills and decision making. Leg speed as well would be a bonus.

This is not a tall draft so it’s likely to be a midfielder or medium sized utility type.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will shout out O'Brien again :p

I think I read it fine. You provided a list of "depth options", discards from other teams each with a variety of strengths and weaknesses. I felt like none of them were any better than younger players already on our list but outside of our most recent 22s (that is, our depth), and so didn't see any appeal to bringing them in.

Unless we see a player out there who has been very much undervalued and underutilised by their clubs (I'm thinking someone like a Ted Richards or a Marty Mattner) who we think is going to be a better addition on our 22 than those younger guys I would rather we take our picks to the draft. Maybe there is someone on that list that I am under-appreciating, maybe Mullet could be the next Mattner? He is probably the one I would be most interested in, but I don't really see it.

There are people with better experience and knowledge than me doing the work and they have had a pretty good record so I'm happy to trust them. If they aren't seeing treasure on the trash heap I'd rather they head to the next draft with as strong a hand as possible, we have drafted pretty well in the last few seasons

18 year old players arent depth players, we will face injuries and 18 year olds cant fill the void, hence a few mentoring older players in reserves for depth to call upon if injuries occur is needed.

18 year old players arent depth players, we will face injuries and 18 year olds cant fill the void, hence a few mentoring older players in reserves for depth to call upon if injuries occur is needed.

It really depends on the player and position. Hayward/Florent last Year were fresh draftees.....

Exactly.
We are probably one of the hardest working teams at this time. One of our club's priorities is to make sure players are given the best possible chance at playing senior footy so that may not be at our club but rather than wait a year, we are prepared to find them a new home if they are just a fringe player. Robbo fits this description & I always think back to when Sneids went to the Saints as the main player they wanted but Roos & Lyon gave Dempster a life line as the steak knives part of that trade. Sean Dempster ended up being perhaps the most critical player of the two for the Saints.

It is absolutely no point bringing in a player that is just going to be same for same.
I wouldn't be surprised if we have someone ready to play seniors in mind, coming into our side but it could very well just be that young Dawson will be starting as a senior player come round 1 & he becomes our biggest 'recruit' for season 2018.

That's why it's called list management.
As Bedders said, in 4 days a lot of s**t can go down so hang on.

No, no............Fyfe is not coming I know.

And both were dropped one after a handful of games, we need some experienced depth players.

The topic was depth, and they were both depth this year (Hayward more than that until he tired) but as first year draftees they were better than a B. Jack/Rose/Edwards/etc.... as depth for the squad even though the 3 I just mentioned were “experienced”

i don't think collins, much like melican, can take the big key forwards, we need someone to replace grundy and hopefully that will be maibaum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Alex Johnson?

he's shot. could hardly break into a jog all season and didn't want to get into the contest. he was a third tall defender when we won the premiership.

Given he played like 6 NEAFL games this year I think, assuming he does not get injured again, he will be in serious contention for a spot in the best 22 come round 1 next year.

I dont understand these sorts of posts. We should have just been pleased he put on the strip last year. He was, at least according to my eyes, a loooooong way from being a good contributor at neafl level.

If he is retained on the list we shouldn't put any pressure on him whatsoever to even make the ones, let along from round 1. He's basically missed the best part of four seasons of development

I'm super impressed with his resilience but his footy needs a lot of work before you'd put any expectations on him at all.

he's shot. could hardly break into a jog all season and didn't want to get into the contest. he was a third tall defender when we won the premiership.
He only played a handful of games after 4.5 seasons on the injured list enduring multiple reconstructions. What idiot would expect that he’s going to just slot back into football like it was yesterday? Learning to run, building fitness, gaining match fitness, gaining confidence and readjusting to a faster game are all massive factors! The kid is as courageous and determined as they come and doubters like you can only feed those qualities as it has over the years!

The topic was depth, and they were both depth this year (Hayward more than that until he tired) but as first year draftees they were better than a B. Jack/Rose/Edwards/etc.... as depth for the squad even though the 3 I just mentioned were “experienced”
The topic still is depth and they were both dropped and unsighted for finals footy. 18 year olds are not depth, we can not have a list of 22 experienced players and 16 players that are 18-20 year olds, that would be insanity. You are clearly wrong, its not even a slight chance you are right, we need a few experienced depth players that can mentor the youth coming through. I am having great difficulty trying to figure out how you don't see this. Perhaps flick through every AFL list and see which list of 38-40 players doesn't have any mature depth players.

He only played a handful of games after 4.5 seasons on the injured list enduring multiple reconstructions. What idiot would expect that he’s going to just slot back into football like it was yesterday? Learning to run, building fitness, gaining match fitness, gaining confidence and readjusting to a faster game are all massive factors! The kid is as courageous and determined as they come and doubters like you can only feed those qualities as it has over the years!
That idiot

The topic still is depth and they were both dropped and unsighted for finals footy. 18 year olds are not depth

So Jack/Edwards/Talia/Laidler & Rose combined for 2 games are better depth than Hayward and Florent. Haha, ok.

I am not saying that we don’t need depth, I think we need some mature bodies especially in defence but saying an 18 year old categorically isn’t depth I don’t agree with.

There were a ton of first year draftees better than list cloggers like Jack/Rose I’d prefer to play.

So Jack/Edwards/Talia/Laidler & Rose combined for 2 games are better depth than Hayward and Florent. Haha, ok.

I am not saying that we don’t need depth, I think we need some mature bodies especially in defence but saying an 18 year old categorically isn’t depth I don’t agree with.

There were a ton of first year draftees better than list cloggers like Jack/Rose I’d prefer to play.

I think you have been arguing against mature aged depth players consistently. 18 year olds do not have the tanks and need to be managed in their first couple of years, which is exactly what happened to those two. When we played the majority of our 18 year olds at the start of the year we went 0-6. When experienced players came back we started to win. 18 year olds aren't depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back