Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For mine Rayner is a class above the other mids, so if available I'd take him with pick 2. If he's gone I'd go Stephenson as he just seems to have more tools than the others including great breakaway speed which we need.

Pick 5 I would go with Aaron Naughton even though he is a bit of a stretch. He's 194cm and 84kg and is still 17 (for another month) so possibly has some growth left in him. He was in the top 10 for goal kicking in the draft combine, and I have seen him go forward at Peel and take some nice grabs. With him and Cox we would have two young talls who can play either back or forward and that would give us great flexibility. We're all banking on Alex Pearce to get back and play a key role in the backline but he has been a long time out of the game and will take time to get back to his best - if he ever does.

Last year we stretched for Griffin Logue because he was seen as a quality young guy and a West Australian. Naughton could easily fall into that basket and he plays with Peel so already has some exposure to our team and our structures. Good young guy with zero go-home factor, that'll do me!
For me it was this. PLUS the fact that Logue had genuinely astonishing athletic gifts for a player of his height, weight and age things which Naughton just doesn't have. If Naughton was a skillful player or was 5-6 cm taller that would change it, otherwise he is just a worse Logue.

I still cant follow the reasoning that we are stacked with KD'S. Hamling and then Johnson who is on the edge and Pearce who hasnt played for 2 seasons. Cox who is playing forward . Thats it. Logue is thrown up but he isnt a KD. True we have heaps of flankers . From the highlites packages just posted Naughton is the standout. The mids were nice and plenty of them. Gun Keys were thin on the ground and Naughton is a gun.
Logue hasn't played as a 'true' KDP as of yet, but i think its quite obvious to everyone that he will be in time. While Cox did play forward (very well) the thought that he is going to be playing defence has come from Collins who stated that as part of the reason he was delisted. I would personally prefer if we developed Cox as a forward as he looked good there, but even still i would prefer to not draft Naughton (however i am softening on that stance as him having a good goal kicking test could be handy as a swingman with Cox as someone stated earlier)

Anyone else hear Michael Thompson on 882 this morning?

For those that didn't, he basically said that the Suns knew what they were doing in trading this years' pick 2 for a former pick 13 with elite skills that had been developed in a senior team over the past 3 years. So basically a quality and ready made 21 year old midfielder with zero "go home factor."

He then went onto to list all of the pick 2's and 5's from the last 7 years drafts, which by the way are as follows.

Year : Pick 2 : Pick 5
2010 : Harley Bennell : Jared Polec
2011 : Stephen Coniglio : Matt Buntine
2012 : Josh Kelly : Kade Kolodjashnij
2014 : Christian Petracca : Jordon De Goey
2015 : Josh Schache : Darcy Parish
2016 : Tim Tarranto : Will Setterfield

He then said that the risk of picking dud with either of these two picks were the sole reason that the Gold Coast Suns took pick 2 for Weller.
Yes... there's so many duds on that list :huh: Would really suck to get a Coniglio, or a Kelly or a Petracca, or a Bennell (oh nvm)

Anyone else hear Michael Thompson on 882 this morning?

For those that didn't, he basically said that the Suns knew what they were doing in trading this years' pick 2 for a former pick 13 with elite skills that had been developed in a senior team over the past 3 years. So basically a quality and ready made 21 year old midfielder with zero "go home factor."

He then went onto to list all of the pick 2's and 5's from the last 7 years drafts, which by the way are as follows.

Year : Pick 2 : Pick 5
2010 : Harley Bennell : Jared Polec
2011 : Stephen Coniglio : Matt Buntine
2012 : Josh Kelly : Kade Kolodjashnij
2014 : Christian Petracca : Jordon De Goey
2015 : Josh Schache : Darcy Parish
2016 : Tim Tarranto : Will Setterfield

He then said that the risk of picking dud with either of these two picks were the sole reason that the Gold Coast Suns took pick 2 for Weller.
Yep, and that's why they did the deal at 1:59.
ffs

Looking at the trend for goal kicking mids I would go Rayner or Stephenson first. As long as pick 5 is real quality I don't care who we get and what position.

Liking the look of LDU more and more. I just love the fact that once pick 1 is sorted, we can literally pick ANY of the remaining 4 that we like the best
Also I think pick 2's generally start off their careers with a lot less pressure and expectation than a pick 1

this was posted on the NM board...

One of my brothers is heavily invested (works in a scouting/recruiting role) at a WA based AFL club......... according to what he's intimated, Freo are keen on Dow with pick 2 and Naughton/Brander at 5. That was as of yesterday.... still plenty of time for their thinking to change obviously.

Someone's got to black hat up on here , all this tinsel and glitter is very un -Freo like

I'm trying to keep the happy glow

But I can't

We are going to put 2 years of development into these Melbourne kids for someone else's premiership side

Look at all the trades done , go home featured in just about every one that wasn't a push out the door scenario by the original club

But hold on here comes Freo to sell the farm for 2 high picks that will probably piss off

The only reason we got that pick is one of our young blokes bolted and one that you would have said was almost a certainty to stay ....... I mean you do have idea of what the word IRONY means

Hate to say it but I think the *ssholes up the road might have ended up with the best of it this year if they get a handful of decent WA kids in

Anyway carry on with the street parade but I will be claiming lone voice of reason status around here if this isnt all it's cracked up to be.

Edit : I know you would get something for them but that doesn't mesh with my present uneasy feeling

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Someone's got to black hat up on here , all this tinsel and glitter is very un -Freo like

But I can't

We are going to put 2 years of development into these Melbourne kids for someone else's premiership side

Look at all the trades done , go home featured in just about every one that wasn't a push out the door scenario by the original club

But hold on here comes Freo to sell the farm for 2 high picks that will probably piss off

The only reason we got that pick is one of our young blokes bolted and one that you would have said was almost a certainty to stay ....... I mean you do have idea of what the word IRONY means

Hate to say it but I think the *ssholes up the road might have ended up with the best of it this year if they get a handful of decent WA kids in

Anyway carry on with the street parade but I will be claiming lone voice of reason status around here if this isnt all it's cracked up to be.

Edit : I know you would get something for them but that doesn't mesh with my present uneasy feeling

Shees mate, that’s a bit pessimistic.

But I can't

How do you get out of bed in the morning with an attitude like that :/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But I can't

Tripe.
Best available, and then see what happens

Hoping it goes like this:
1. LDU
2. Rayner
3. Cerra
4. Steohenson
5. Dow

Rayner and Dow the pick of the bunch imo.

But I can't

Wilson is better than Weller.

Matera is probably as good as Balic on potential.

This is the first year we've really lost players to a want-to-go-home factor. We have a pretty decent track record of retaining players.

You rather two second round picks than pick 2 and 5?... These two picks give us an opportunity to have one hell of a side in two years time. If youre not excited by two potential A-graders then you'll never be happy.

The reality is that we need pick #2 to be at least as good as Weller was or we copped it.

At the moment pick #2 represents hope, it represents possibility and like buying a lotto ticket it allows us to dream of what could be.

Both #2 and #5 are Dustin Martin and Dangerfield at the moment, three way ties for the brownlow with their captain for five years straight.

The reality is that currently #2 and #5 are teenagers who have more challenges in front of them than behind and if they hit the wrong one at the wrong time it goes belly up for all of us.

But until then! Dusty and Danger it is

But I can't

we sold the farm how? Weller was going no matter what, we got the best possible deal

Shees mate, that’s a bit pessimistic.
We turned pick 13 into pick 2, if we are making finals, and with so many youngsters, the enthusiasm should
be infectious.
At the end of the day you bank the picks, same as what GWS has been doing for years, but I would prefer
SA kids or Vic Country.
Vic metro will require the utmost attention to detail, not just a quality footballer but quality attitude.

But I can't

Go and ask the blokes up the road if they would rather #21, #26 & #37 or #2 & #5

But I can't

In 2 years Hogan is out of contract...hmmm

Back