Team Mgmt. 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re probably right in that Heppell may spend more time as an inside mid than BJ, I just think BJ has a stronger body and is more effective as an inside mid than Heppell who I’d prefer to see on a wing or as that midfield link up type player (outside mid). Zakka like is also a great link up player but an outside mid.
ZMerrett is a gun and can certainly play as an inside mid, and I think Parish has the skill set also. Agree Langford should be given every chance in 2018 he could really be a big surprise packet.
Not doubt we have guys to that can spend time trying to play that inside mid role - Stringer, Tippa and Smith will all get their chances , but it’s not their number 1 craft. With respect to Myers he’s just depth and I do not expect him to feature much in our best 22 in 2018. I’d prefer to play Laverde, Begley or Mutch who have more upside. Will be interesting to see what sort of midfield set up Woosha goes with next year - no doubt we have guys who can play roles in our mid field but I still think we are an inside mid bull short of top class - time will tell...
With our new guys drafted I've had a go at both senior and reserves teams;-

Seniors:

Francis Ambrose Saad
Gleeson Hurley McGrath
Heppell Goddard Smith
Stringer Daniher Tippa
Stewart Hooker Fantasia

Bellcho Zakka Z.Merrett

Bench from: Parish Langford McKenna Baguley

Reserves:

Thatcher Hartley McNeice
Dea Ridley Long
Colyer Myers Guelfi
Begley McKernan Green
Draper Brown Houlahan

Luey Laverde Mutch

Bench from:
Clarke Redman Lavender A.Heppell
O'Brien Boyce Stratchan Hind and others...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like others. He could be a sneaky chance for a brownlow!

Update now we have a full list...

1st:

B: Saad Hurley McKenna
HB: Gleeson Hooker Francis

C: Goddard Heppell Zakarakis
Foll: BChambers ZMerrett Parish

HF: Begley Daniher Tippa
F: Fantasia Stringer Stewart

B: Langford Laverde McGrath Smith

Emg: Myers Colyer Ambrose

VFL:

B: McNiece Ambrose Baguely
HB: Dea Harley Ridley

C: Colyer Mutch JMerrett
Foll: Lberger Myers Clarke

HF: Redman McKernan Houlahan
F: Green Brown Draper

B: Lavender, Long, Thatcher, Guelfi, Mynott

If people would stop putting Hooker in defence that would be great. Why would he move back there this year when he didn't at all last year, even when we only had two other fit key defenders?

If people would stop putting Hooker in defence that would be great. Why would he move back there this year when he didn't at all last year, even when we only had two other fit key defenders?
Plus no viable FF option.

Stringer isn't it. He was too easily taken out of games when the Dogs used him there.

Really not keen to mess around with our forward setup too much
Daniher - Hooker - Stewart - Tippa - Fanta
With a rotating mid/fwd like Smith, Stringer, Zaka, Begs.

Anyway, another crack at both sides:

Ambrose - Hartley - Gleeson
McKenna - Hurley - Saad
McGrath - Heppell - Z Merrett
Smith - Daniher - Stewart
Fantasia - Hooker - McDonald-Tipungwuti
Bellchambers - Parish - Stringer
Langford - Goddard - Zaharakis - Laverde

Redman - Brown - Myers

Reserves:

Baguley - Brown - Dea
Ridley - BZT - McNiece
Colyer - Myers - Redman
Houlahan - McKernan - Long
Green - Lavender - Draper
Leuenberger - Francis - Begley
Mutch - J Merrett - Guelfi - Mynott - Clarke

Stringer isn't it. He was too easily taken out of games when the Dogs used him there.

I doubt that Stringer is trimming down to play a role that would see him play predominately deep in the forward line.

McKenna - Hurley - Saad

Redman - Brown - Myers

Reserves:

Baguley - Brown - Dea
Ridley - BZT - McNiece
Colyer - Myers - Redman
Mine is the same as the Senior side but with Smith and Stringer swapped.

My version of the VFL side.

Baguley - Brown - Dea
Ridley - Francis - Redman
Colyer - Clarke - Long
Myers - McKernan - Mynott
Jerrett - Houlahan - Green

Leunberger - Begley - Mutch

Guelfi - BZT - Draper - McNeice - Lavender

McKenna - Hurley - Saad

Redman - Brown - Myers

Reserves:

Baguley - Brown - Dea
Ridley - BZT - McNiece
Colyer - Myers - Redman
I'm coming around to the thinking that says Francis just gets played next year. He has too much potential and/or trade value for the club to die wondering. I think we might as well put him on the bench and have done with it.

I'm coming around to the thinking that says Francis just gets played next year. He has too much potential and/or trade value for the club to die wondering. I think we might as well put him on the bench and have done with it.
Who would you push out?

Who would you push out?
I'd say Ambrose. I'd back Hurley to play at Ambrose's level as a 1vs1 defender when he's not carrying the burden of being our no1 offensive defender. Francis offers so much more in an intercepting sense and offensive drive compared to Ambrose. Therefore if Hartley and Hurley can hold down the key posts, Francis as the 3rd tall defender (if he's fit etc) makes our def more dynamic overall.
Obviously Hurley had a great year by many standards but at the end of the day, if he's the AA CHB, need to make his role more accountable and make him defend first and attack 2nd - he is good enough to do both.

Who would you push out?
Depends where they wanted to play him. Third tall defender i guess, but i would drop Hartley rather than Ambrose depending on form. I imagine Francis is training with the defensive group? There is certainly no easy spot for the taking up forward, but he does have decent swing man possibilities.
If he can justify his selection it will be fantastic to see an even greater pressure for spots. Leaving any two of Bags, Hartley, Ambrose, Gleeson or Saad out seems crazy. Surely Gleeson and Saad will be safe, so that leaves two of Bags, Hartley and Ambrose. The VFL team will be solid in defence! Probably shouldn't be writing off Brown just yet either.

There is one significant reason why Francis needs to play regular footy at AFL level in 2018 - Hardness at the ball - He's nearly the hardest player on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is one significant reason why Francis needs to play regular footy at AFL level in 2018 - Hardness at the ball - He's nearly the hardest player on our list.
Yup! Once he feels he belongs at AFL level, he'll come on in leaps and bounds.

I'd like to see the following side against the Crows:
B: Saad - Hartley - Francis
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Gleeson
C: McGrath - Heppell - Z.Merrett
R: Bellchambers - Langford - Smith
HF: Stringer - Daniher - Walla
F: Fantasia - Hooker - Stewart

I/C: Zaharakis - Goddard - Parish - Laverde

Besides flicking around positions, this is the same as my 22 - one thing i've been pondering is whether we will actually play Stringer, Stewart and Laverde in the team together alongside Hooker and Joey. String likely to play 50-50 mid-fwd and maybe Lav is the same but this means going in with the 4 'tall' fwd structure. Something that our coaches weren't keen on last year. I'm sure they will give it a try but Stewart and Laverde will have to be on song given Langers will probably rest fwd too. Even though Stewy was fantastic as the 3rd tall last year, I could see a Begley or Green getting a gig in front of him based on need for Fwd pressure. (If Laverde is playing as a Mid-Fwd)

Excellent team.

B: Francis - Hartley - Ambrose
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Saad
C: Langford - Heppell - Z.Merrett
R: Bellchambers - McGrath - Smith
EMG: Glesson - Begley - Green - Bags

Don't know if the question has already been asked in this thread, but which players do you consider to be certain starters in round one 2018?

IMO, it's the following;
Heppell
Zerrett
Daniher
Hurley
Goddard
Stringer
Hooker
Fantasia
Walla
Zaharakis
McGrath
Smith
McKenna
Parish
Saad

Which would leave the following in a fight for the remaining 7 spots in the side.
Bellchambers
Gleeson
Langford
Myers
Stewart
Francis
Hartley
Colyer
Laverde
Ambrose
Baguley
Green
Leuenberger
McKernan
Brown
Dea
Mutch

If we go in with a small injury list come round 1, our VFL will be fielding a strong team you would think.
Who are your certain starters and who has to prove something this preseason to ensure they play round 1?

Don't know if the question has already been asked in this thread, but which players do you consider to be certain starters in round one 2018?

IMO, it's the following;
Heppell
Zerrett
Daniher
Hurley
Goddard
Stringer
Hooker
Fantasia
Walla
Zaharakis
McGrath
Smith
McKenna
Parish
Saad

Which would leave the following in a fight for the remaining 7 spots in the side.
Bellchambers
Gleeson
Langford
Myers
Stewart
Francis
Hartley
Colyer
Laverde
Ambrose
Baguley
Green
Leuenberger
McKernan
Brown
Dea
Mutch

If we go in with a small injury list come round 1, our VFL will be fielding a strong team you would think.
Who are your certain starters and who has to prove something this preseason to ensure they play round 1?
Gleeson is a lock for round 1(IMO).

Gleeson is a lock for round 1(IMO).

Glesson is a tricky one, he was a big improver last year but my problem with him is working out if he is ahead of Saad or McKenna, we could go with the three but if Francis improves then we may find either Ambrose or Hartley being pushed out.

Maybe about now we need to ask the AFL to extend the bench to 6

Glesson is a tricky one, he was a big improver last year but my problem with him is working out if he is ahead of Saad or McKenna, we could go with the three but if Francis improves then we may find either Ambrose or Hartley being pushed out.

Maybe about now we need to ask the AFL to extend the bench to 6
Gleeson plays on smalls and offers huge aerial support to the KPD. Was fantastic last year.

I think we will play three of Gleeson, Saad and mckenna. Togther with Hurley and two of Hartley/Ambrose/Francis (depending on injury, preseason and opposition).

It was neccesity that the Dogs put Stringer in a KP. Won't be that at Essendon. Hope he comes out and kicks 50 goals in 2018, would certainly shut some naysayers up in a big way.

Gleeson plays on smalls and offers huge aerial support to the KPD. Was fantastic last year.

I think we will play three of Gleeson, Saad and mckenna. Togther with Hurley and two of Hartley/Ambrose/Francis (depending on injury, preseason and opposition).

Don't disagree but I do like having Hartley/Ambrose/Francis with Hurley in the backline depending on the opposition forward set up.

Glesson differently deserves to be in the seniors, maybe Saad moves to the wing then they can all fit in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back