Rank the runner ups of this century

Remove this Banner Ad

I just looked at the team that lined up on grand final day. Wakelin started on the bench so I missed him. Plus it was his last game. Anyway that was your starting centre line.

Port missed the finals in 2006 and 2008 and lost the 2007 Grand Final by 119 points. It's fair to say they are the worst of the grand final teams this century.
Well I guess going 7-2 against the other top 6 team that year means that by us being the worst, 2007 must have been the worst year and Geelong the default premier.

Still the point is Port Adelaide 2007 were one of the worst teams to make a grand final and most teams since who have made the grand final would probably flog them by 10+ goals
Great opinion there...

Hawthorn 2012 would be up there. I thought we played some fantastic attacking football. Our percentage was 150%+.

If it wasn't for some arsey Malceski goals who knows whether we would have gone four in a row or not.

Last edited:
It's more I don't really remember them being as dominant as other sides. No broken records or 200pt games. They were good but I'd rate both Geelong 07 and St Kilda 09 as more dominant sides.
Are you kidding? That 2011 team was consistently dominant all season go back and have a look
upload_2017-12-2_14-18-9.png

If that is not dominant then I don't know what is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and how so Port Adelaide 2007 were absolutely terrible they got flogged by 119 name one gf team they would beat
Sure. If you use one game as an indicator of the quality of a team in an entire season. Most can see past that.

Can you tell me how any other team would have gone in the GF? No. You cant. Purely hypothetical. 3 games before that GF, Port Adelaide beat Geelong at Kardinia Park. Does that matter? No because it wasnt the GF, but it was an indication that the GF may have been more of an anomaly than you think.

Sure. If you use one game as an indicator of the quality of a team in an entire season. Most can see past that.

Can you tell me how any other team would have gone in the GF? No. You cant. Purely hypothetical. 3 games before that GF, Port Adelaide beat Geelong at Kardinia Park. Does that matter? No because it wasnt the GF, but it was an indication that the GF may have been more of an anomaly than you think.
Port Adelaide won only 15 games during the Home and Away season that year and had the weakest % of teams to play in the gf since Collingwood 2002 they were a average team who only got to the grand final due to playing in a weak year

This needs some aspy fool to apply some hack statistical analysis thinking it some kind of exact science....maybe go back to 1897...surely there's one around here at bigfooty?

Port Adelaide won only 15 games during the Home and Away season that year and had the weakest % of teams to play in the gf since Collingwood 2002 they were a average team who only got to the grand final due to playing in a weak year
There was another team that only won 15 games during H&A and had a whole 3% better percentage than that. With no Geelong 2007 quality side to play against, and a Grand Final at home against an interstate team that finished top, they managed to win their first flag in 35 years. Good on em, winners are grinners.

There was another team that only won 15 games during H&A and had a whole 3% better percentage than that. With no Geelong 2007 quality side to play against, and a Grand Final at home against an interstate team that finished top, they managed to win their first flag in 35 years. Good on em, winners are grinners.
While there was no side of the quality of Geelong 2007 all the top 4 sides would have finished above Port Adelaide 2007

This needs some aspy fool to apply some hack statistical analysis thinking it some kind of exact science....maybe go back to 1897...surely there's one around here at bigfooty?

Whilst I do not condone your request for an autistic within a derogatory context we already have the ultimate stat bot on Foxtel. Get a subscription there's a bloke on there they call their head scientist who makes a living out of doing exactly what you suggest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back