Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I remember playing AFL video games and it would get to a point where I'd start drafting kids born in the 2000s. I always thought in the back of my mind " that's ages away from now". But here we are, the year the draftees are all born in 2000...

I know I'm not old per say, but the fact i can remember playing video games before these blokes were even born just makes me feel that little bit older also.

I had a similar realisation a few years ago when high school students started asking me about my recollections of 9/11 in the same way my generation asked teachers and parents about witnessing the moon landing.

Who did you have coming to us?

The draftees in AFL games are usually randomly generated names pulled from the first and last names of existing players.... Majak Deledio, Cyril Redden, Devon Hipwood etc

Can only imagine how a Dustin DeGoey-Pepper would go off field.

Couldn't recall now. I'm sure I edited the game to make them awesome though :p I'd always end up having Brisbane winning the premiership in 2020 too.

Never forget seeing Freo having a father son selection for Aaron Sandilands... can't remember the name, but he was a 175cm small forward :tearsofjoy:

I started feeling old during the 2014 draft, the first time clubs drafted players younger than me. Too young to be feeling old?

On the plus side, you can start saying stuff like "C'mon McClugagge, run it son!!!" and it not sound silly.

I remember when I realised that guys like Redden, Rockliff and Polkinghorne are younger than me. I was very much NOPE. Got the ultimate reality check when the Defiant Wrestling Womens Championship went to a 17 year old who calls herself the "first 21st Century Badass". Wait, there are people born in the 2000's that are over the age of 10?! They're not babies anymore?!

Seriously, it was like one minute I was watching Lynch, Brown, Leppa etc who are all way older than me and then suddenly I'm older than most of the team. When did that happen?!

I started feeling old during the 2014 draft, the first time clubs drafted players younger than me. Too young to be feeling old?

Mine was when players my age starting being the exception rather than the rule.

Also - shit, thought Hodgey still had a year or two on me - nope! Turns out there's no longer any active AFL players older than me, and there was only one (just!) last year.

Mine was when players my age starting being the exception rather than the rule.

Also - shit, thought Hodgey still had a year or two on me - nope! Turns out there's no longer any active AFL players older than me, and there was only one (just!) last year.

You're so old you can't even spell your name correctly!

I remember when I realised that guys like Redden, Rockliff and Polkinghorne are younger than me. I was very much NOPE. Got the ultimate reality check when the Defiant Wrestling Womens Championship went to a 17 year old who calls herself the "first 21st Century Badass". Wait, there are people born in the 2000's that are over the age of 10?! They're not babies anymore?!

Seriously, it was like one minute I was watching Lynch, Brown, Leppa etc who are all way older than me and then suddenly I'm older than most of the team. When did that happen?!
I saw Lynch today at the airport, I said to my footy tragic kids " did you see Alistair Lynch?"

They said "Who is that?".

I've got some bad news....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please explain the logic here: I was listening to some (Victorian) footy analysis this week where they said that the deal that allowed the Suns to sell a home game to the Dockers last week should never have been allowed. The serious argument was that it unfairly ‘shapes’ the competition because the Dockers end up with an extra game effectively played at home and so their chances of winning and making finals etc are increased.
I’m thinking, Vic teams like Collingwood get 17 or so games a year in state vs 12 by teams from other states. What the hell is the big difference!? Is there any?

Please explain the logic here: I was listening to some (Victorian) footy analysis this week where they said that the deal that allowed the Suns to sell a home game to the Dockers last week should never have been allowed. The serious argument was that it unfairly ‘shapes’ the competition because the Dockers end up with an extra game effectively played at home and so their chances of winning and making finals etc are increased.
I’m thinking, Vic teams like Collingwood get 17 or so games a year in state vs 12 by teams from other states. What the hell is the big difference!? Is there any?

I don't know, but it was pretty sweet when we bought home games off the Demons for a few years in our glory era. :D

Why did we do this? I was a kid when this happened and was always confused by it.

Because we could, basically. An extra home game and less travel was gold back then.

Was Melbourne in financial strife?

Yes, and we were flush with cash.

How far we fell :(

Actually they're right. This is why:

I don't know, but it was pretty sweet when we bought home games off the Demons for a few years in our glory era. :D

The practice got banned after we got basically a free win each year out of that deal. It was resolved that clubs could only sell games to neutral venues, not effectively creating opposition home games. Given that logic, Gold Coast should not have been able to sell a game into Perth - however I also understand why they made an exception for Gold Coast this year, given the Commonwealth Games.

The concern is about home game advantage. Fremantle v Gold Coast in Perth (or Melbourne v Brisbane at the Gabba) is going to give Fremantle a massive advantage with crowd support, less travel, etc, whereas Carlton v Collingwood ends up with the same amount of travel for both teams and preferential home team support (generally).

The practice got banned after we got basically a free win each year out of that deal. It was resolved that clubs could only sell games to neutral venues, not effectively creating opposition home games. Given that logic, Gold Coast should not have been able to sell a game into Perth - however I also understand why they made an exception for Gold Coast this year, given the Commonwealth Games.

Only we didn't. My first live game was a Dees home game. We lost. Not sure how many we had or won, but not all.

Only we didn't. My first live game was a Dees home game. We lost. Not sure how many we had or won, but not all.

Over 70% win rate (5 out of 7) with an average margin of almost six goals in our favour.

Maybe if you'd attended more the deal would still be in place. :p

I think it was 2002 when we had that shock loss to the Demons where Neitz went mental. I think we were leading most of the game too.

But we hardly ever lost again that season. You could argue that result helped us more than it hurt.

Or possibly it was your support Skoob that galvanised the team.

Just my thoughts on our sliding doors today, here it is if you missed it:

If

Stef Martin played for a higher-profiled club ...
Then
he'd have rock god status.

It's notions like "if he played for higher-profile clubs" or "if he played for a Vic team he'd be a superstar" that really irk me. It's not just Martin either, it's the likes of Zorko and Beams as well. Seriously, if the AFL media people can pick up on an elite player and say "Damn, he'd be a superstar of the competition if he played for Collingwood" then it should be their obligation to pump up said player until he gains the aforementioned recognition. It just pisses me off that we have players producing these elite performances on a week to week basis but don't get the recognition they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back