The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing I like about Hugh, Berry, witho, Bailey and Rayner is that they haven't ever been dropped. We simply pencil them in each week. Incredible how they have adapted so quickly to speed of afl footy at such a young age.
On Sunday night would have been hard to find a better performed house in the country than the Andrews household! Some serious talent under the one roof!!!

I recon afl comp changing fast at the moment. Free Agency, trading as well as the draftees being better prepared for afl footy in my opinion means teams can bounce up the ladder quicker (Richmond last year, bulldogs year before, norths and west coast this year). Maybe I should change my name to Lions Flag 2019!

My wife thinks that I am getting a little carried away after just one win!

Andrews runs the second most in our team and is the second fastest! (Maybe they have used Baileys gps results for the speed one?).

For the distance covered he probably spends the most amount of time on the field 15-20% more than McCluggage but the top speed is definitely surprising.

Skinner looks lean and strong though. I reckon he might be carrying a little less weight than last year. Might help his knees.

Wooller is going to be a solid lad.

Saw some research recently that says irrespective of build once you hit 80kgs your knees are getting stressed and accumulating long term damage at a faster rate so you need to be mindful of running surface and shoes.

Bit a design fault that one.

Agree, Charlie was perfect to that end. I hope we pass on the Barrett and Bells of the world from now on though, feels like we don't need to be that desperate going forward. Unless it's Charlie level and up.

Barrett was a great stop gap last year and played his role just as he does for our reserves. Absolutely cannot fault his work ethic and the role he plays. Came cheap as chips as well and provides depth. Bell is a different kettle of fish.

http://www.lions.com.au/video/2018-05-22/brisbanes-day-at-the-gabba

The media dept are absolutely milking this win. Here's hoping they keep it coming!

I have been highly critical of our media department in the past. There was a time not too long ago where we would go 3 or 4 days without a video, no inside access video - it was pretty dismal tbh. I know alot of people lorded Steele on here but I found his reign very underwhelming and not very innovative. Prior to him, it was well.. terrible and a large reason that we got slapped around in the media so badly over the last 10 years.

We have injected behind the scenes footage, humor on social media, players all engage well, lots of review videos etc. Also the way we clearly welcomed Channel 7 up, met with them before, gave them access, lined up a full half time show - clearly indicates that we finally understand the value of the media. They were very complementary throughout the call and afterward, feels like that area is well and truly on track and in good hands. Sunday was the best marketing exercise we have undertaken in years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrett was a great stop gap last year and played his role just as he does for our reserves. Absolutely cannot fault his work ethic and the role he plays. Came cheap as chips as well and provides depth. Bell is a different kettle of fish.

Yep, you're right, I also hope we see Barrett again, he seems well liked and a good club-man. But - as your post shows, now we are building depth and loading up on top end talent, we are at a stage where we don't need to scratch around for stop gap, trades IMO. B+ players and up who are aged 22-27 and a new draft class each year. Less need to be speculative.

Saw some research recently that says irrespective of build once you hit 80kgs your knees are getting stressed and accumulating long term damage at a faster rate so you need to be mindful of running surface and shoes.

Bit a design fault that one.

So if i have 90 kg of lean tissue i should be avoiding running like the plague then?

So if i have 90 kg of lean tissue i should be avoiding running like the plague then?

Never stop!! As soon as I stop I fall apart and starting again gets way harder as I age.

When I read it my reaction was no sh*t sherlock - the more we weigh, irrespective of the form of the weight, the more stress on the joint. Also, the harder we run the more stress so I could be 120kg without problem. I reckon the health benefits are greater than the joint stress. Knees and hips can be replaced, heart attacks last for forever.

There are normal precautionary measures that always help include developing good form, shoes appropriate to the running surface, one session a week on soft ground (not man made surfaces), do strength work on glutes/hammys/quads once a week, don't do every run at race tempo, and stretch so the muscles don't put constant stress on the joint as well.

Basically most footballers should retire due to their weight.

The AFL players do most (if not all) of their running on the ovals so soft ground but boring - the 20k sessions are 50 laps. Up there with swimming for boredom. The research was on dedicated runners, and a single game would be doing more damage than any of the accumulated running stress. There are many many ex players with wrecked knees, shoulder, hips. Lynch had a shoulder replacement in his early 40s so he could lift up his baby.

Mike sheean was added to that group of players and media personalities that are giving advice on the state of and the future of the game (The dinosaur squad, who are spouting up ways to turn the game back to a big game of kick to kick).

Anyway.. when asked what he is going to say at the forum he said he will be raising the idea a mimimum 25m kick to count as a mark (kill me now) and...... the Brisbane Lions, and asking how this young team are playing such thrilling footy at the Gabba and what we can learn from them and what is happening to football in Brisbane.

The praise continues.

IMO our summary of gameplay style is this:

We play on quick and value elite kicking skills to open targets - reducing the contested footy, teams do not have time to man up.

To do this we have to run both ways, so there is always an open target.

We also seem to be kicking on angle back to the centre square, rather than kicking down the line to a contest in the pocket.

It helps that we now have a tall forward line to kick to.

Just my 2 cents, may be way off.

IMO our summary of gameplay style is this:

We play on quick and value elite kicking skills to open targets - reducing the contested footy, teams do not have time to man up.

To do this we have to run both ways, so there is always an open target.

We also seem to be kicking on angle back to the centre square, rather than kicking down the line to a contest in the pocket.

It helps that we now have a tall forward line to kick to.

Just my 2 cents, may be way off.

Been enjoying your input Mate, very measured and logical. Keep it coming!

One of the most positive things to come out of the Hawks game for me was that we were setting up defensively in a way to stop them from playing there game of short kicks back into the centre and use their kicking skills to pick their way through a team.
And in turn forcing them to kick down the line, which suited us to a tee with our current taller set up.
Especially after the first quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back