Autopsy Demons 100 def Dogs 51

Remove this Banner Ad

hunter - mcclean - dahl - macrae (lack of penetration) - JJ

would you want to be on the receiving end of those players as a forward???

think we have to address that if want to be a better side

Agree on the function. We move the ball so slowly, end up bombing it in.... yet we have no one capable of taking a mark or crumbing the ball

Your description = a non existent forward line which is what we have.

I am for teaching players how to play certain positions rather than flexibility.

J.kennedy, darling, reiwoldt, Ben brown, j Waite, tex walker, Hawkins, the list goes on you don't see them learning anything but been forwards and learning their role.

By having such forwards enables the players up the ground to learn how to play to them. One minute it's Boyd and Schache down there the next minute it's JJ and honeychurch and the next second it's no one.

The more I hear Bev talk about flexibility the more I see how inflexible he is.

Last edited:
Crameri would struggle in this side and play maybe 1-2 years IF his body held up.

Stringer was the right call and not talent related. He would have had 6 touches out there yesterday. When the going gets tough...

Crameri would have added more to our side than most of our forwards yesterday. So what if it was only for another couple of years?

Stringer would have loved yesterday's style of match, and if he only had 6 touches, 3 of them would probably have been goals. There was never any question about his toughness.

Am I the only one thing thinks this is about the ceiling for Boyd? Would be happy to be wrong but think this might be about it. Watched him pretty closely. Often couldn’t get to the contest when forward
We don't kick it to Boyd's advantage when he is up forward. And when he is up forward it's just a spell from his primary rucking duties. Coaching is going to limit the career of Boyd the way things are going.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of other posters on this thread the worst part of going to the footy is not the results or the following:

• the skill errors by foot or hand.
  • the fumbling of the ball
  • the number points to goals.
  • the inabilty to mark the ball.
  • getting smashed in the ruck
  • the missed tackles
  • not manning up
  • not working hard enough off the ball
  • the lack of leg speed
  • the flawed game plan
  • the lack of team structure
  • the softest of some players
  • the lack of forwards
  • at times no forward line at all
  • leaving to much to to few

It is the in ability to kick more than 10 goals in so many matches and provide any excitement at least the Lions can kick a score. Hang on all all the above may be the reason this is happening. We are young but we have so much dead wood on our list we could open a Wood Yard. There a no quick fixes here and starts with the football department being honest where we are at. The means a complete list overall and patience from everyone.

Last edited:
Crozier was...relatively ok. At least compared to his previous performances, this one was probably enough to keep him in the team for legitimate reasons. 17 touches at 82.4% efficiency for 5 rebound 50s (equal most in the team) and 3 inside 50s (equal 4th most). 3 marks, 2 tackles. Seems like his best position is running off half back...Problem is it seems like that's the best position for half our players, and we can only put so many there.

You could drop Roarke, put JJ back where he belongs, and if you MUST fit Crozier back there, possibly put Richards on a wing to let him start delivering the ball inside 50 and hopefully have a few cracks at goal himself.

Good to see others noticed JJ doesn't seem to be having a crack. Just seems to be coasting. Been like it for weeks. Disposal, never a strong point, seems worse.

Old m8 Gaz Lyon pointed out our lack of run. Could be an age and/or attitude thing.

Tough to say at the half way point but finals are impossible.

Perhaps it might be time for Bev to settle on a young team and teach them to play.

Bailey Willliams was chopping it up at HBF. Nek minnut he's moved upfield to accomodate the likes of R Smith. Hard to understand the thinking. Like why pick so many flankers in the one team in the first place?

Poor old Mitch Wallis must have run over Bev's surf board to see amateurs like R Smith picked ahead of him. Smith played one of the worst games ever seen in a Dogs jumper. And of course Honey is ahead of him to, because Wallis needs to 'add quality' to his game.

Concerning how far Caleb Daniel has regresed, when he started at the club he was a beautiful user. Now he is just another one of our army of s**t kicking tiny men. You could actually see it was a Dees strategy to kick it to Caleb's man. If he is isn't offering a point of difference with exquisite use then he becomes a massive liability.

The regression in so many players who should be improving is quite concerning.

The mid play argument Trengove decided to have with Gawn instead of applying pressure to Hogan who calmly snapped a goal was one of the worst acts of undisciplined pathetic footy I've seen. He should be dropped immediately.

We don't kick it to Boyd's advantage wen he is up forward. And when he is up forward it's just a spell from his primary rucking duties. Coaching is going to limit the career of Boyd the way things are going.

This is so true it's almost sad

Our major issues are our skills, decision making and coaching.

Skills:
We have too many players who cannot hit simple targets with or without pressure. The delivery inside 50 is horrible and in no way to the advantage of forwards. We look slow because of the constant kicking errors which lead to turnovers and players are out of position or we miss a target but retain the ball but in that time the opposition get back defensively.

Decision making:
The amount of time we handball to a guy who is going to be tackled immediately is ridiculous. We even do it from a mark or free kick it’s auskicker level decision making. When we should be lowering our eyes and delivering to a lead or have an out number to run the ball we bomb it and cough it up. You don’t see these constant decision making errors in under 18 football, who ever is doing game reviews with individual players needs the sack.

Coaching:
The constant non improvement of decision making is inexcusable if you are doing game reviews properly with individual players. The constant selection of guys not up to it is shocking, Smith has shown nothing, Roughy hasn’t played a good game since 2016.

The worst is the flexibility crap. Bevo constantly talks about continuity. Yet none of our players get it. Constantly moving players from one position to another, one role to another. How do they get continuity like that? Lots are ready to blame our forward line but we could have Franklin brown and hogan up forward and we still wouldn’t kick a winning score the way we deliver the ball. Yes we lack natural forwards yet then if we have any we want to teach them to play another position.

I’d love to see us settle even a permanent 4 forwards with a ruck and mid rotating through to get some continuity and understanding with each other.

Our major issues are our skills, decision making and coaching.

Skills:
We have too many players who cannot hit simple targets with or without pressure. The delivery inside 50 is horrible and in no way to the advantage of forwards. We look slow because of the constant kicking errors which lead to turnovers and players are out of position or we miss a target but retain the ball but in that time the opposition get back defensively.

Decision making:
The amount of time we handball to a guy who is going to be tackled immediately is ridiculous. We even do it from a mark or free kick it’s auskicker level decision making. When we should be lowering our eyes and delivering to a lead or have an out number to run the ball we bomb it and cough it up. You don’t see these constant decision making errors in under 18 football, who ever is doing game reviews with individual players needs the sack.

Coaching:
The constant non improvement of decision making is inexcusable if you are doing game reviews properly with individual players. The constant selection of guys not up to it is shocking, Smith has shown nothing, Roughy hasn’t played a good game since 2016.

The worst is the flexibility crap. Bevo constantly talks about continuity. Yet none of our players get it. Constantly moving players from one position to another, one role to another. How do they get continuity like that? Lots are ready to blame our forward line but we could have Franklin brown and hogan up forward and we still wouldn’t kick a winning score the way we deliver the ball. Yes we lack natural forwards yet then if we have any we want to teach them to play another position.

I’d love to see us settle even a permanent 4 forwards with a ruck and mid rotating through to get some continuity and understanding with each other.

I do partly blame our fwds. Much as I dont rate him, Red plays, he leads and provides an option and we look a better team. When you see guns like Bont not knowing where to kick it because our fwd line isnt giving him an option that sucks.

Yes our mids miss targets, but our fwds dont provide easy targets either.

I do partly blame our fwds. Much as I dont rate him, Red plays, he leads and provides an option and we look a better team. When you see guns like Bont not knowing where to kick it because our fwd line isnt giving him an option that sucks.

Don't disagree with you BUT our coaches need to teach our forwards how to play their positions hence teaching when, where and how to lead. Teaching them how to position their bodies in a marking contest etc

They need to teach the small forwards where to be and when. How to be crumb and the KPF need to know where the small forwards will be so when they can't mark it to have the ability to influence the contest accordingly. Other teams have forwards that are not flexible but are taught how to play in the forward line only.

J Kennedy from WCE does not know how to ruck etc but he knows and more importantly the team knows where he will lead, when and how it is to be delivered to him.

Puopolo is another example he has been taught how to play his role that small forward role he is not required to be flexible in that know how to play on the wing, HBF or midfield he concentrates on been a player inside 50 and that builds continuity for all for him, teammates and the other forwards.

Sadly apart from Dickson who is now injured I could not name you who our forwards are that is who is been developed as a forward. Who is constantly in our forward line?

Our forward line and our play into our forward line resembles fawlty towers.

Last edited:

Yep there’s zero movement, nous or pressure down there from our forwards, it’s embarrassing how ineffective it is.

Red has always straightened us up, maybe because he’s the one guy that bothers to lead. Or may it’s just because he keeps it a bit more simple.

I wouldn’t seeing what Gowers could do down there if we weren’t completely terrible and could move the ball. Yeah he needs to work on his set shots but for a mid size player that’s played less than 10 games, he’s one of the very few positives from this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't disagree with you BUT our coaches need to teach our forwards how to play their positions hence teaching when, where and how to lead. Teaching them how to position their bodies in a marking contest etc

They need to teach the small forwards where to be and when. How to be crumb and the KPF need to know where the small forwards will be so when they can't mark it to have the ability to influence the contest accordingly. Other teams have forwards that are not flexible but are taught how to play in the forward line only.

J Kennedy from WCE does not know how to ruck etc but he knows and more importantly the team knows where he will lead, when and how it is to be delivered to him.

Puopolo is another example he has been taught how to play his role that small forward role he is not required to be flexible in that know how to play on the wing, HBF or midfield he concentrates on been a player inside 50 and that builds continuity for all.

Our forward line and our play into our forward line resembles fawlty towers.
When I watch us play I can't help but think we are not coached at all. This is not the case I'm sure...but we look like we have little to no system and players don't know where to go when we have the ball.

When I watch us play I can't help but think we are not coached at all. This is not the case I'm sure...but we look like we have little to no system and players don't know where to go when we have the ball.

It does not look like we have no system we don't.

I don't think I have ever seen a side fumble the ball on a dry day under a roof as much as we did yesterday. It was incredible.

Wallis may not make us that much better but he had 10 tackles in his last AFL game and we have let sides just coast through us with little pressure the last two weeks.

I can take skill errors if the decision making is there and it's under pressure or you're trying to make the play but we're gifting teams 6-7 goals per week from very amateur turnovers which is a huge problem as we're only capable of kicking that ourselves.

I understand what your saying and our forwards definitely need to get used to moving and creating space for each other. You only need to look how many times this season we have smalls flying against our talls or Bont and boyd side by side.

The way to fix this is clearly defined roles and continuity with each other which does not happen. I think at times we lack a target for our mids to kick to but that’s more on the coaches than the forwards when you have Honeychurch and Dahl as the deep targets cause the coaching staff have pushed boyd in the ruck and have schache and rough on the bench at the same time.

Our forwards are young and inexperienced and they need guidance and continuity which they just aren’t getting instead the coaching just keep swinging the magnets around

I’m afraid to say this won’t be a mini rebuild. It’s a big rebuild.

I have little faith in our 23 - 28 age group players any more. Even the 20 - 23s are worrying me.

Am I the only one thing thinks this is about the ceiling for Boyd? Would be happy to be wrong but think this might be about it. Watched him pretty closely. Often couldn’t get to the contest when forward
I also watched him pretty closely. He gave good service in the ruck without starring. When forward our mids did everything possible to kick where he wasn't. Often going to JJ or Gowers in a two on one. Boyd gave plenty of good leads and busted his arse to get to these contests but Usain Bolt couldn't have made up that amount of ground in that time.

So to summarize, we need to

1. Play the kids
2. Bring in experienced players
3. Give kids / fringe players continuity by playing them for at least a few weeks at a time
4. Drop non performers straightaway

I also watched him pretty closely. He gave good service in the ruck without starring. When forward our mids did everything possible to kick where he wasn't. Often going to JJ or Gowers in a two on one. Boyd gave plenty of good leads and busted his arse to get to these contests but Usain Bolt couldn't have made up that amount of ground in that time.
Started off great like everybody else then went missing like everybody else

Game plan seems to work for the first qtr then it goes haywire, players everywhere, nowhere. I think, like me the team are confused and lose focus, so hopefully its all about getting used to it and implementing it for longer, injuries haven't helped and can only think that players dropped are the one's that didn't stick to the plan. Young players, new game plan, takes time but comes together quickly when everyone's on the same page. The reasons for all the positional changes is to see who fits where. Its doing my head in but i'll hang in for a while before I start attacking the coaches or team. Second half of the year will start to look better. Go Dogs.

Fair call. I’m just disappointed with some of his efforts in the air at the contests he does get to

Game plan seems to work for the first qtr then it goes haywire, players everywhere, nowhere. I think, like me the team are confused and lose focus, so hopefully its all about getting used to it and implementing it for longer, injuries haven't helped and can only think that players dropped are the one's that didn't stick to the plan. Young players, new game plan, takes time but comes together quickly when everyone's on the same page. The reasons for all the positional changes is to see who fits where. Its doing my head in but i'll hang in for a while before I start attacking the coaches or team. Second half of the year will start to look better. Go Dogs.

100% agree. We’ve looked outstanding at times this season when we nail our game plan and structures. They aren’t the issue, the issue is not implementing them for long enough periods. The boys need to find the spark again. How that happens, not sure. Maybe Bev needs to start dropping some big names to put a rocket up them ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back