Opinion Commentary & Media II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cable stays in Melbourne in 78, we win the premiership.
Yes we do.
And on top of Cable, that year, Footy Gods just said no to North. I’ve said it before. I’ll say it again. No Dench. No Icke. No Crosswell. No Keenan. Alves did a hamstring in the first quarter. Blight a groin in the second.
1978 should’ve been ours.

So should have 98. But nothing as chronic as 78.
I haven’t heard anyone mention this yet but next year is our 150th year as a marvellous footy club and one of the worlds oldest sporting clubs - high time for the Footy Gods to reward us with a 4peat!

8 years of Scotts and we still don't have this??? FMD.

Sure but the culture and environment should be built already. You're going to get some kids that less inclined to speak their minds but I would expect that we have systems in place that allow them to contribute.

Ziebell also said the club's leadership program had been pivotal in helping the influx of younger players step up to the plate.

"It’s a challenge [to get the young players to speak up] it really is, because forever in footy culture it’s been you know ‘sit down and shut up’ in your first few years and do what you are told and don’t speak until you’re spoken to sort of environment," Ziebell said.

"We are trying to build an environment that is free for everyone to speak their minds. We have things in place so the young guys can do that ... I think the young guys feel comfortable doing that here so that’s really exciting."

Ziebell also said Brad Scott’s words and advice was extremely helpful in his development as a leader, particularly the former Brisbane premiership player’s penchant for the saying “things are never as good or as bad as they seem”.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...h-melbourne-flag-success-20180618-p4zm6n.html

kangatime None of your comments reflect what was said in the article. You are seeing what you want to see so that it reinforces your preconceptions, not what is actually there, which doesn't.

Last edited:
This one is always salt in the wound, I was adamantly against it at the time.

I mean trading a young competitive, smart KPF who just played in a flag, another (enforced) trading of a very talented young marking forward who just played in a flag and all your draft picks of value for a player I thought was way overrated (his year off had people imagining he was Kouta circa 1995 by the end of it) plus David ******* Calthorpe.. what could've possibly gone wrong?

Not sure I see eye to eye on this Ziebell stuff though unless you're playing a long trolling game.

What about getting rid of Pike
Pagan became a megalomaniac

Eleven members (half) of the 1999 premiership team were finished or at other clubs within the next 50 games - Abraham, Pike, Bell, Allison, Carey, Sholl, Mooney, McKernan, Capuano, Longmire and Welsh. Within another year Pickett, Blakey and Martyn and the coach himself were gone too. The reasons for the departures were varied - retirements, trades, scandals, players who chose to leave - but no premiership team has had the majority of its team disperse so quickly. The exception of course is Brent Harvey who played a further 368 games. No player in the history of the game has played more games after his last premiership. (Rob Harvey holds the record for most games with no premiership - 383)

Then in the same period of time we trade in Colbert (for Mooney and what became Enright), list cloggers like Calthorpe (that pick became Giansiracusa), McLaren, Olarenshaw, Bourke & Porter, and use first round picks on Dylan Smith and Ashley Watson. That Laidley was able to have us around the mark so often with what he had left is a fair achievement.

As for Ziebell - could we trade him for a player/pick who'd become a better player? Probably. But certain players are heart and soul types and the intangible of what you're showing the door isn't worth risking. I wouldn't move him on any time soon.

None of your comments reflect what was said in the article. You are seeing what you want to see so that it reinforces your preconceptions, not what is actually there, which doesn't.

The impression I get is that Jack is giving a veiled backhander to the old guard (Harvey, Petrie, Dal Santo). Maybe, he reckons he and Cunnington and others didn’t get much of a say. That’s, probably, reading too much into it, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KT still going on about trading Jack? Shame. He could contribute to this place in a positive way but chooses to be a blight on this forum.

Harsh.

Unless you mean Malcolm. Which I guess would make kt's opinions on Jack the posting equivalent of that time Blighty ran past the open goal and kicked it through the points.

The impression I get is that Jack is giving a veiled backhander to the old guard (Harvey, Petrie, Dal Santo). Maybe, he reckons he and Cunnington and others didn’t get much of a say. That’s, probably, reading too much into it, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you're reading too much into it. It definitely didn't sound that way on the podcast

That Laidley was able to have us around the mark so often with what he had left is a fair achievement.
Outside of the premiership years and maybe 74, 07 is probably the most meaningful year a coach has had with the club.

Rated a nothing club with a nothing team with no future in Melbourne.

If we lose and wind up down near the bottom we're done. As a footy club we die.

Laids wasn't a perfect coach by any means.

That is about as shinboner as you're ever going to get from the coaches box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KT still going on about trading Jack? Shame. He could contribute to this place in a positive way but chooses to be a blight on this forum.
Sorry you see my desire not to conform to group think as a blight.

Nothing would make me happier than Jack holding the cup aloft, I just don’t see it happening. Mark my words, the team that takes best advantage of this draft will be laughing all the way to the Premiership Bank.

Outside of the premiership years and maybe 74, 07 is probably the most meaningful year a coach has had with the club.

Rated a nothing club with a nothing team with no future in Melbourne.

If we lose and wind up down near the bottom we're done. As a footy club we die.

Laids wasn't a perfect coach by any means.

That is about as shinboner as you're ever going to get from the coaches box.
Absolutely.

And we lost Thommo on the preseason. Didn't we start 0-3 as well?

He coached with a mentality that befitted his personality. Which we needed at the time. We were a suburban club trying to stay afloat.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

kangatime None of your comments reflect what was said in the article. You are seeing what you want to see so that it reinforces your preconceptions, not what is actually there, which doesn't.
Yes it does. I could say the exact same thing to you as it depends which bits you bold:

"because forever in footy culture it’s been you know ‘sit down and shut up’ in your first few years and do what you are told and don’t speak until you’re spoken to sort of environment," Ziebell said.

Forever means its only just changed.

"We are trying to build an environment that is free for everyone to speak their minds. We have things in place so the young guys can do that ... I think the young guys feel comfortable doing that here so that’s really exciting."

Trying to build, and something that is really exciting says its only just coming into effect now.

Yes we do.
And on top of Cable, that year, Footy Gods just said no to North. I’ve said it before. I’ll say it again. No Dench. No Icke. No Crosswell. No Keenan. Alves did a hamstring in the first quarter. Blight a groin in the second.
1978 should’ve been ours.

So should have 98. But nothing as chronic as 78.
I haven’t heard anyone mention this yet but next year is our 150th year as a marvellous footy club and one of the worlds oldest sporting clubs - high time for the Footy Gods to reward us with a 4peat!
That bloody Knights mark was in-the-back under just about ANY version of the rules before or since (except the Capper era)

Yes it does. I could say the exact same thing to you as it depends which bits you bold:

"because forever in footy culture it’s been you know ‘sit down and shut up’ in your first few years and do what you are told and don’t speak until you’re spoken to sort of environment," Ziebell said.

Forever means its only just changed.

Trying to build, and something that is really exciting says its only just coming into effect now.

Okay so your problem is not that Brad Scott and Jack Ziebel have just changed 160 years of footy culture, but rather that they should have done it 8 years ago.

This is the just about the ultimate Monday morning quarterback criticism.

Okay so your problem is not that Brad Scott and Jack Ziebel have just changed 160 years of footy culture, but rather that they should have done it 8 years ago.

This is the just about the ultimate Monday morning quarterback criticism.
Absolutely. If we haven't been fostering an inclusive environment until now then we have had a serious problem. It should have been a given!

Slow inside mids with s**t disposal is just what we need apparently:

Trade target
Dom Tyson: Tyson is finding it hard to break into Melbourne's strong midfield in 2018 – perhaps owing to lack of leg speed and at-times tardy ball use – but would provide Ben Cunnington with good support in the clinches.

Anthony Miles: Less exposed at AFL level than Tyson, so he might come cheaper and still offer great value. Churns out big numbers in the VFL, but is only a fringe player at Richmond.

Will Brodie: Gold Coast's inside midfielder was a top-10 pick in the 2016 draft, but continues to languish in the NEAFL with limited senior chances. Brodie is Victorian and fits the Roos' ideal age profile.

On the table
Daniel Nielson: Key defender who played seven games last year in his third season, but hasn't added to that tally in 2018. Is stuck behind Robbie Tarrant, Scott Thompson, Majak Daw, Sam Durdin and Ben McKay.

Braydon Preuss: Few clubs manage to play two ruckmen these days and Todd Goldstein is contracted until 2019. Wins a mountain of hit-outs at VFL level, and first-year big man Tristan Xerri is emerging as a potential future threat.

First-round draft pick: This would give the Roos the chance to add a more mature talent, or trade down to accumulate extra draft points. The idea of that is to be able to match rival clubs' bids on potential father-son and academy selections like Tarryn Thomas, Bailey Scott and Joel Crocker. - Marc McGowan

Slow inside mids with s**t disposal is just what we need apparently:

Trade target
Dom Tyson: Tyson is finding it hard to break into Melbourne's strong midfield in 2018 – perhaps owing to lack of leg speed and at-times tardy ball use – but would provide Ben Cunnington with good support in the clinches.

Anthony Miles: Less exposed at AFL level than Tyson, so he might come cheaper and still offer great value. Churns out big numbers in the VFL, but is only a fringe player at Richmond.

Will Brodie: Gold Coast's inside midfielder was a top-10 pick in the 2016 draft, but continues to languish in the NEAFL with limited senior chances. Brodie is Victorian and fits the Roos' ideal age profile.

On the table
Daniel Nielson: Key defender who played seven games last year in his third season, but hasn't added to that tally in 2018. Is stuck behind Robbie Tarrant, Scott Thompson, Majak Daw, Sam Durdin and Ben McKay.

Braydon Preuss: Few clubs manage to play two ruckmen these days and Todd Goldstein is contracted until 2019. Wins a mountain of hit-outs at VFL level, and first-year big man Tristan Xerri is emerging as a potential future threat.

First-round draft pick: This would give the Roos the chance to add a more mature talent, or trade down to accumulate extra draft points. The idea of that is to be able to match rival clubs' bids on potential father-son and academy selections like Tarryn Thomas, Bailey Scott and Joel Crocker. - Marc McGowan

Why isn't Brodie getting a game? Would want an understanding of that before assuming we chase him based on his original draft position.

Yes our our 1st round pick could be used wisely.

The rest of the points are pulp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back