MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL thread: 2018 Edition: Weighed in the balance, who will be found wanting?

Remove this Banner Ad

?

If the teams above us lose it creates more of a cluster**** around 5-10. If the teams below us lose we can put some space between us and the rest.
If the same 9-10 teams keep winning, then there's no room for us to drop games.

If the same 9-10 teams keep winning, then there's no room for us to drop games.

I played with the predictor and it had us finishing a game outside 8, including us beating GWS in the last round with the season on the line. We need to knock over a few of the better teams above us. If we can't do that then there's not much point making finals anyway.

I played with the predictor and it had us finishing a game outside 8, including us beating GWS in the last round with the season on the line. We need to knock over a few of the better teams above us. If we can't do that then there's not much point making finals anyway.
Yep. Simply can only afford to lose two out of the Cats, WCE, Crows, Swans and GWS. And we can't drop the Suns or Dogs games. If Hawks or Kangas lose one they shouldn't, then it allows us to drop one more. It's going to be tight, but IMO with Hawks/Kangas having a soft draw, we need to knock over three teams vying for the 8. That won't be easy, especially with our results against good teams this year.

So basically if we win all home games plus sneak one away, we'll make it. Still a tough ask tbh..

If this is going to be the year that we struggle to beat better sides, then even a losing final will do us the world of good going into 2019. They need the exposure or they'll continue jumping at shadows when a team brings a crowd or applies pressure for four quarters.

If this is directed at the Mckernan incident , he literally was called play on because his 30 seconds ran out.
Really? I didn't see that the timer had gone down and all of the commentators were acting like the umpire called it for time wasting. I usually don't listen to a thing they say and that probably is a good example why.

I'm still against the idea of the umpire being able to make that judgement though. If a mark is taken inside they can burn 30 seconds, they've earnt it.

If this is going to be the year that we struggle to beat better sides, then even a losing final will do us the world of good going into 2019. They need the exposure or they'll continue jumping at shadows when a team brings a crowd or applies pressure for four quarters.

They need to be able to beat better sides. If they can do that, they'll start winning finals. Might be a quirk of the table at present, but as it stands, we haven't beaten a top 8 team this season. The first week of finals is pretty much the same as any other game so losing isn't going to do much to improve the side. Being able to play decent footy when we're not competing against amateur teams and witches hats will go a lot further towards winning a final.

They need to be able to beat better sides. If they can do that, they'll start winning finals. Might be a quirk of the table at present, but as it stands, we haven't beaten a top 8 team this season. The first week of finals is pretty much the same as any other game so losing isn't going to do much to improve the side. Being able to play decent footy when we're not competing against amateur teams and witches hats will go a lot further towards winning a final.
Definitely not a quirk of the table, we quite clearly struggle against the good teams because they apply pressure. Playing a final would be a significant learning experience though, that can't be argued. Just the build up of being involved in September is enormous and a fair way away from home and away footy. Winning the flag in your first year in the finals never happens, having a go this year will make a tilt in 2019 far more realistic.

Really? I didn't see that the timer had gone down and all of the commentators were acting like the umpire called it for time wasting. I usually don't listen to a thing they say and that probably is a good example why.

I'm still against the idea of the umpire being able to make that judgement though. If a mark is taken inside they can burn 30 seconds, they've earnt it.
Yeah you could see the Collingwood players pointing at the time clock on the scoreboard and the umpire counted him down 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 play on. You’re right though , BT made it seem like the umpire called play on for time wasting.

Really, the biggest games we have for me going forward are the Adelaide and GWS games. 8 point games as they are 2 of the 3 sides trying to take our spot in the finals.

Win those two as well as bulldogs and sun's, we will be a reasonable shot.

Remember when everyone melted because we didn’t flog Brisbane after starting well? That game remains their biggest loss at home in 2018.
i melted not because we didnt flog them but the fact we let them kick 7 or 8 goals in a row good teams/leadership dont let that happen. easy as heck goals out the back. had nothing to do with flogging them. Leadership is still a problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel teams like the eagles and port are just making up numbers in the finals. No way they are beating a Richmond or Collingwood at the MCG imo
No way are we either. On current form it would be the same result as earlier in the season. We are no certainty for finals and even if we make it I don't fancy our chances unless we win the next 6 straight

No way are we either. On current form it would be the same result as earlier in the season. We are no certainty for finals and even if we make it I don't fancy our chances unless we win the next 6 straight

yer i know we aren't but looking at the current top 4/5 teams as it stands, come deeper into the finals I couldn't see any of those 2 sides performing on the G

Remember when everyone melted because we didn’t flog Brisbane after starting well? That game remains their biggest loss at home in 2018.

Brisbane have been improving over the course of the season - they were in much worse form when we played them.

Fair dinkum, injuries are hitting teams hard yet it seems 0 are to our direct advantage.
GWS will be fit and firing by round 23 with most of gheir guns back... oh well no point making finals if ya cant beat the tougher teams

GWS will be fit and firing by round 23 with most of gheir guns back... oh well no point making finals if ya cant beat the tougher teams

"There ARE no tougher teams!" we said in unison, laughing, giving each other high-five.

We get frustrated with umpires, but we always own up and know it's us that cost us in the end.

Essendon on the other hand are a special club, and continue their trend of 'never taking responsibility' for anything

Geez I can't stand Dangerfield.

Thinks players get fined too much. Assuming the average wage is 350k if you get fined twice for say $4000 that is just over 1% of your pay.

Also if I remember correctly the AFL fines players for doing things they don't want them to do. If they don't want to be fined then they just need to follow the rules. Wouldn't be much use as a disincentive if it was just $20 out of your wallet.

Geez I can't stand Dangerfield.

Thinks players get fined too much. Assuming the average wage is 350k if you get fined twice for say $4000 that is just over 1% of your pay.

Do you get fined at your work place?

Also if a rookie makes 60k and gets fined 4k you are talking like 6% of their earnings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back