MRP / Trib. Gibbs gets off

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to really enjoy On The Couch - but now it has become a Melbourne love fest it's less than boring.

Gerard Healy - 130 games
Garry Lyon - 226 games
Paul Roos - Coach for 3 years

As far as his diatribe on Tex, what a joke. He wanted Tex to get more than Nyhuis ... he felt is was more of a dog act ?!?!?
Have you ever heard Roos commentate a Crows game? He despises us. I don't know why exactly. What did we do to him?

Ah..A guy by the name of Andrew Culshaw represented Gibbs for us and I suspected he was legal but maybe not?..I was not aware that there was a phone in for the tribunal and that makes it far less time consuming if so

He's definitely a barrister.

Gibbs & AC were at the tribunal in Melbourne. There was footage of them leaving.

I hate to be that guy but we just had a Selwood thread.

This should have been about how utterly incompetent Michael Christian is. It's the second time in a month his fines have been dismissed. He's just asking to be sacked.

Incompetent yes. Have an agenda against us? Yes.

There is a hidden media agenda, and they're to protect the "protected species" aka Selwood, Dusty and maybe a few others. Selwood does acting every game, ducks every game, and noone in the media talks about it in Victoria. They turn a big gigantic blind eye!

Gibbs rightly should have challenged the penalty, and rightly should have the charge dismissed. No clear evidence of excessive force. Selwood was able to play out the game fine. End of story.
It's extremely noticeable in the way that it's never mentioned. Anything that paints Selwood in a dark light gets no traction whatsoever in the media. Even the result of this case more or less proves he staged, so where is the recourse against him?

Apparently Geelong looked at his jaw and said he was fine to go on. His jaw. Has anyone ever gone down and stayed down so long with a jaw injury? Concussion yeah, head knock yeah, but a jaw non-injury from someone's chest? I've seen people with concussion get up quicker than Joel did.

It was 100% a World Cup dive and they've all but confirmed that with Gibbs getting off, but somehow that side of the coin doesn't even get looked at. It's like if you were in court and proved that you didn't commit the crime, because you have undeniable proof another guy did. So they let you off, but don't prosecute him. So corrupt.

Ah..A guy by the name of Andrew Culshaw represented Gibbs for us and I suspected he was legal but maybe not?..I was not aware that there was a phone in for the tribunal and that makes it far less time consuming if so
Who pays the costs. Us or the AFL?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I mentioned this in another thread, cant understand why he has so much disdain for us.
Could it be maybe Mattner had a few negative things to say when he went over there. Can't think of anything else that would do it. Not sure why that would piss Roos off anyway. He picked up a good player for cheap because Neil Craig was an idiot who couldn't properly utilise Mattner's skillset.

Just a theory

View attachment 529028

by far his worst coaching record was against Adelaide

Such a shame no finals matches

lmao. I think we have our answer.

Last edited:
Andrew Culshaw is a barrister/lawyer and represented both Walker and Gibbs, Base in SA.
Day Job he works for the Len King Chambers group. off Victoria Square.

It's bizarre the way he staggered around like he'd been shot with this one...

And then later he's tackled by Murphy (dangerous tackle) and he's smashed, then straight up to take the free. wtf.
(Slighty salty on that tackle too btw. It was dangerous yes - Selwood caused it though. Smart play or dangerous play?)

It was a really strange incident, I remember watching it at the game from the southern stand. It was the most nothing contact, yet Selwood went down like a sack of s**t.

Watching the replay from that southern angle, it’s pretty clear that Selwood made a motion to initiate contact with Gibbs.

It was nothing more than a classic Selwood attempt to draw a “high” free kick. Disgrace that it was even sited.

It’s a disgrace that the AFL have done literally nothing, in this age of Concussion/CTE, to penalize players who purposefully seek out high contact. Players need to have a duty of care to themselves, not just the opposition. But no, they go on idolizing Selwood and protecting and promoting his antics.

It was a really strange incident, I remember watching it at the game from the southern stand. It was the most nothing contact, yet Selwood went down like a sack of s**t.

Watching the replay from that southern angle, it’s pretty clear that Selwood made a motion to initiate contact with Gibbs.

It was nothing more than a classic Selwood attempt to draw a “high” free kick. Disgrace that it was even sited.

It’s a disgrace that the AFL have done literally nothing, in this age of Concussion/CTE, to penalize players who purposefully seek out high contact. Players need to have a duty of care to themselves, not just the opposition. But no, they go on idolizing Selwood and protecting and promoting his antics.
Imagine the "carnage" if Robbie Gray and Joel Selwood tackled one another.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I didn’t see the incident at the game but watching him lay down for so long reminded me of watching Adelaide United ACL games against Chinese clubs where players just lie down waiting for the ref to stop the game, I even saw one bloke lie down on his stomach, look up to see if the ref was watching and then put his head down again. Selwood’s flop had a very similar feeling to this and the vision just backs up how pathetic it was.

I’ve been restraining myself not to text my upset and offended Geelong mate, who was arguing that Selwood was hit in the solar plexus, that Geelong’s medical report was that they were looking at a possible knock to his jaw.
I’m also restraining in texting him the photo of Selwood, the toughest player in the comp, taking a cheap shot to the back of Walker’s head behind play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Culshaw is a barrister/lawyer and represented both Walker and Gibbs, Base in SA.
Day Job he works for the Len King Chambers group. off Victoria Square.
Thanks for that..so it appears from posters above that my assumption was almost correct. Gibbs and Walker did have to travel to melbourne for the tribunal hearing and had Andrew represent both at the tribunal hearing - incurring cost and time expenses on both Andrew and the club and the players for absolutely frivolous incidents..then based on that, my point stands that the club should put Christian on notice that if he decides to fine another of our players for something that happens a hundred times in a match, we will go him personally for the costs

It's extremely noticeable in the way that it's never mentioned. Anything that paints Selwood in a dark light gets no traction whatsoever in the media. Even the result of this case more or less proves he staged, so where is the recourse against him?

Apparently Geelong looked at his jaw and said he was fine to go on. His jaw. Has anyone ever gone down and stayed down so long with a jaw injury? Concussion yeah, head knock yeah, but a jaw non-injury from someone's chest? I've seen people with concussion get up quicker than Joel did.

It was 100% a World Cup dive and they've all but confirmed that with Gibbs getting off, but somehow that side of the coin doesn't even get looked at. It's like if you were in court and proved that you didn't commit the crime, because you have undeniable proof another guy did. So they let you off, but don't prosecute him. So corrupt.
I'm glad you can see it too. It's so stupidly obvious that it has become comical!
Case in point:
- Walker hit against Tuohy. Commentators kept talking about it on and on, "I think he's (Tex) in trouble", "I think he might get some games off".
- Gibbs incident versus Selwood. Commentators saying "not sure what the hit was about, hopefully he's going to be alright", "yeah I didn't see the incident very clearly", "didn't look much in that".

The Walker hit was an obvious hit so they talk about it in terms of possible suspension. The other one by Gibbs they all knew it wasn't really anything other than a "how are you going?" bump, so they didn't even discuss about any possible suspensions. One incident they overtalk it (Tex/Tuohy), and the other incident (Gibbs/Selwood) they downplayed it.
Funnily, Tuohy got up and jogged off the field fine from a heavy hit. Selwood looked like a roadkill animal for several minutes from a nothing-hit!

Actually watch his right arm position when he goes down to the ground. That's often a tell tale sign of concussion occurring.

I guess the meedya would argue that we played so long ago it's all been talked about. That's the excuse Garry Lyon uses to not talk about Thursday and Friday games on SEN Monday morning.

And they don't GAF.

And Paul Roos hates us.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

This is just don’t get .... :huh:

If Selwood wasn’t injured then he staged

If he staged he should be cited

We don't use a QC.
Not all lawyers/barristers are QCs - QC is a title given only to experienced/outstanding barristers.

And yesterday's hearing (and Tex's) was by video link from Adelaide - Gibbs' interview after was outside an office building on Grenfell Street, which must be where they did the link.

Not all lawyers/barristers are QCs - QC is a title given only to experienced/outstanding barristers.

And yesterday's hearing (and Tex's) was by video link from Adelaide - Gibbs' interview after was outside an office building on Grenfell Street, which must be where they did the link.
Ah, I understand that Andrew is not a QC and that was what I was meaning by my initial comment being not quite right. Are you sure that both Tex and Gibbs did not have to attend the tribunal at AFL house - others above seem to think they did?

Admittedly I didn't watch the footage closely, I just assumed. Thanks for the clarity.

Which brings me to why I started this thread. If Gibbs got off then that should mean that Selwood was staging and if that is the case then why hasn't the AFL charged him for doing so. I mean if he wasn't staging then Gibbs would still have been charged.

Just seems like there is a double standard. To me this is the type of thing that Gerald and Robbo both try to tackle. Yet neither one of them took up the challenge. Is that because they want to protect poor little Selwood or is it because dear little Gerald hates to see anything negative about Geelong.

Which brings me to why I started this thread. If Gibbs got off then that should mean that Selwood was staging and if that is the case then why hasn't the AFL charged him for doing so. I mean if he wasn't staging then Gibbs would still have been charged.

Just seems like there is a double standard. To me this is the type of thing that Gerald and Robbo both try to tackle. Yet neither one of them took up the challenge. Is that because they want to protect poor little Selwood or is it because dear little Gerald hates to see anything negative about Geelong.

As James said, it was Selwood that initiated the contact. As such, I don't think the Tribunal could find Gibbs guilty of head high contact (or rough conduct using their terminology). Since it was Selwood's fault that he got hit in the head. Bryce just braced for contact.

Like there is no free kick if you drive into a tackle with the head. You cause it, it's your fault. So Selwood didn't dive, he actually got taken high - but he caused the contact, so there is no rough conduct there.

That's what I understand happened reading this story: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-17/crows-star-cleared-of-rough-conduct-charge

They also successfully argued that Selwood initiated the contact with Gibbs, who they said was bracing for contact rather than electing to bump his opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back