Toast 2014 National Draft, pick #49 - Welcome to Hawthorn Teia Miles

Remove this Banner Ad

So I'm curious how posters here evaluate him now that he's had a bit more exposure at senior level. (Most of the chatter has been about JOR.) Do you think he's a list clogger? Does he need more seniors time? Should his contract be renewed? Are we pumping up his tyres as trade bait?

I was of the opinion he didn't have enough tools to make it as an AFL player, but he's always had smarts and ball skills which you could tell from the VFL. He's proven me wrong over the past two days but I'd like to see how he fares against more solid opposition - because with the way that Jayden Short is playing at the moment, players like Miles are in vogue.

In short - smart player, defends well, but at full strength it'll boil down to whether we can have both him and Hardwick.

Assuming he is out of contract at the end of the year.

I think we offer him at least 1 more year. Maybe 2.

Never really liked him when he came into the side and played the small pressure forward role. Looks much more comfortable off half back where he can utilise his clean ball use.

I was of the opinion he didn't have enough tools to make it as an AFL player, but he's always had smarts and ball skills which you could tell from the VFL. He's proven me wrong over the past two days but I'd like to see how he fares against more solid opposition - because with the way that Jayden Short is playing at the moment, players like Miles are in vogue.

In short - smart player, defends well, but at full strength it'll boil down to whether we can have both him and Hardwick.

I see Miles as the kind of bloke that could be the number 22 player picked, due to his versatility.

Hardwick is starting 18.

Can def play both Miles and Hardwick in the same side......there's your back flanks right there.
I would like to see Hardwick start getting some time rotating through the midfield over the next year or so, so having Miles back there creates a bit of flexibility for that to happen.
Miles brings a bit of leg speed, composure and classy ball use - def an upgrade on Duryea.
I like also that he has the capacity to run through the middle of the ground and create a goal scoring option.

You dont get rid of blokes that know how to use the footy.
I had written him off earlier in the year, but very happy he has played some very good footy at BH and looks like he is taking his opportunity at AFL level.
Right now he stays in the side ahead of Duryea, and WX or JOR are out whe Sic returns.
I suggest he gets a new contract for next year -> at least 1 year but possibly 2 depending on his form for the remainder of the year.

Can def play both Miles and Hardwick in the same side......there's your back flanks right there.
I would like to see Hardwick start getting some time rotating through the midfield over the next year or so, so having Miles back there creates a bit of flexibility for that to happen.
Miles brings a bit of leg speed, composure and classy ball use - def an upgrade on Duryea.
I like also that he has the capacity to run through the middle of the ground and create a goal scoring option.

You dont get rid of blokes that know how to use the footy.
I had written him off earlier in the year, but very happy he has played some very good footy at BH and looks like he is taking his opportunity at AFL level.
Right now he stays in the side ahead of Duryea, and WX or JOR are out whe Sic returns.
I suggest he gets a new contract for next year -> at least 1 year but possibly 2 depending on his form for the remainder of the year.

Hardwick did seem to play a little bit midfield against Freo, which I quite liked - in that case we can have Miles in the same squad. I agree.

Young man has had a couple of good games recently. Let's hope he keeps improving from here.

Maybe it's his stature but reminds me a lot of The Blues Kade Simpson.

That is some top praise, Kade is a champion. Teia has done nothing wrong and should keep his place in the 22. Some tough selections coming up, which is always something we like at Hawthorn.

Yeah I had him written off and although I'm still not sold he has done enough to warrant an extension of some sort and more time on the list.
If the coaches are playing him ahead of a few others (Glass, Duryea), might mean they now see him as a long term player. Could get 2 more years on low money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s had two decent games, however, interested to see how he stands up against better, more physical teams as doesn’t really have the body (or pace) to compete against a good small forward if isolated while playing down back - he gets pushed around at vfl level. Morrison can get away with it as plays an outside/wing role but not sure miles can down back.

Definitely a smart player and has made most of opportunities to date. Still surprised that glass is getting a glass isn’t getting a game instead.

He’s had two decent games, however, interested to see how he stands up against better, more physical teams as doesn’t really have the body (or pace) to compete against a good small forward if isolated while playing down back - he gets pushed around at vfl level. Morrison can get away with it as plays an outside/wing role but not sure miles can down back.

Definitely a smart player and has made most of opportunities to date. Still surprised that glass is getting a glass isn’t getting a game instead.
Miles has a better footy IQ than Glass, as you would expect, and appears to be more damaging offensively.
Glass seems a great defensive option.

Do any of you reckon he could play midfield more consistently? He’s not big, but moves well enough.

Not for mine. Isn't getting games there at BHH.

Will be interesting to see how he goes when asked to play across half back on a dangerous small forward...

Well done Miles for getting up there despite all the flak from the nay-sayers and those who wrote you off.

I wonder if the coaches even know what they are doing trying to develop players in the reserves?

Is this BigFooty's fastest ever "useless, delist" to "give him another contract" ever?

I wonder if the coaches even know what they are doing trying to develop players in the reserves?

Is this BigFooty's fastest ever "useless, delist" to "give him another contract" ever?

Duryea was no different all those years ago. Recruited as a small forward.
Papers stamped first half of the season, then moved to the back flank in 2nd half of the season for BH......showed a bit and the rest is history

Last edited:
I never bag out any of our players, but I have to admit I was (silently) nervous about his size and not enthusiastic about another mosquito type running around for us. The kid has proved to me that he is worth giving a really good chance. I like his sharp reactions and speed with the ball, and I mean simply making decisions and handballing QUICKLY. Sometimes it feels like we don't have enough of that, and he seems to have added something valuable to our ball movement.

I hope he gets another run this week, playing against a faster moving opposition on a bigger stage this week will be good for him.

Duryea is going to need to run him over in the car park to get a game. But this will be no easy feat as Teia has good vision and awareness and makes good decisions under pressure.

Plus he appears to be a good user of the ball.

Loving his shots on goal running through 50. Opposition will have to be on their toes with he, Burton and Sic hanging about.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This. The best half-back players will always find themselves, not only setting up play from their half, but also often getting involved in the end product. Both those running goals you mentioned have had a fair bit a polish about them too. Never looked like missing.

I must also admit I didn't really know where he fit into the grand scheme of things, but his two consecutive games have been more than handy. Hopefully he can kick on and snag himself a senior spot and also a new contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back