List Mgmt. What to do with McCartin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just out of interest how does paddy fit into our side if ever tall is fit. He would be last of the tall group if we pick on form.

Who knows?

However, parking Membrey to one side:

* Bruce: coming back from both back and leg injuries.
* Marshall: looks promising but with only a small sample of work (13 games, 6 goals) to judge him on. May end up more ruck than forward.
* Battle: also looks promising but also with only a small sample of work (7 games, 8 goals) to judge him on.

If every one is fit and playing then it surely comes down to form.

I understand those who think Paddy won't make it and should be traded.

But I'm one of the dwindling number of fans who want to keep him.

And that is because I still believe he can make it; don't believe we'd get much for him and am not totally convinced we've got the key forward positions settled for the next 5+ years.

Who knows?

* Marshall: looks promising but with only a small sample of work (13 games, 6 goals) to judge him on. May end up more ruck than forward.
* Battle: also looks promising but also with only a small sample of work (7 games, 8 goals) to judge him on.

And that is because I still believe he can make it; don't believe we'd get much for him and am not totally convinced we've got the key forward positions settled for the next 5+ years.
Sadly I don’t think we have the key forwards settle but even worse I see paddy at the bottom of the key forwards the way the game is played. 2 finals games have convinced me of that and got knows what we are thinking if we get menzal. He is truely terrible.

Who knows?

I'd play Bruce, Membrey & Battle to be honest, then Marshall if the match-ups are right. Play paddy if someones injured.

I think I am one of the few that doesn't mind Paddy. However, unless he comes into preseason a new player, I am picking Battle ahead of him everytime.

I also think Bruce v Marshall poses a dilemma. If we want to play Bruce, Marshall, Membrey and Battle in the same team our mids are going to have to get a metric s**t ton better at hitting a target.

Paddy at this point needs to be a keeper (in the short term). He has no value anywhere near #1 pick regardless of whether we think he doesn't deserve the tag.

Work in progress for mine - we've jettisoned the less than useful so think of the team in the same way. The delusional getting Kelly, Gaff and 2 top 5 picks is pointless.

Paddy at this point needs to be a keeper (in the short term). He has no value anywhere near #1 pick regardless of whether we think he doesn't deserve the tag.

Work in progress for mine - we've jettisoned the less than useful so think of the team in the same way. The delusional getting Kelly, Gaff and 2 top 5 picks is pointless.

No point trading him because he's worth nothing. Might as well keep him and see what he can do. He's probably been no better than Goddard and Freeman and they got sent packing. If he can't make it next season he's probably gone. Lonie is playing 10 times better and he's probably out too.

“It would still take the Saints’ early pick to get Hannebery, but by adding McCartin they could get the Swans’ first rounder in return and secure another quality youngster at the draft.

So; Hannebery and pick 13 for pick four and Paddy McCartin.”

If we did that I would be ropeable. What about the huge contract we are taking on board? Highly doubt we would ever do this deal.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article is suggesting Paddy & 4 for Hanners & 13. Yuck

Yuck doesn't even start to describe that deal.

If the Swans propose it we should politely, or perhaps not so politely, tell them to get yucked!

Not even the Saints are that silly

Or are we

Have been in the past

Oh absolutely a #1 draft pick and pick 4 in a draft with 6 outstanding candidates for a player that has been injured and down on form for the last 2 years plus #13 pick
f&#k me I know its the silly season but could the author of this article please also write something on world peace and include Donald Trump as the key protagonist FM

Why has the saints twitter liked trade whisperers post saying ‘paddy on the table’ lmao. Social media dude either didn’t mean it or hates the floss.

Hannebery for McCartin would be such an interesting deal, analysed every week in the future though which would get ******* annoying.

Doubt we’d ever do that though.

Why has the saints twitter liked trade whisperers post saying ‘paddy on the table’ lmao. Social media dude either didn’t mean it or hates the floss.

Hannebery for McCartin would be such an interesting deal, analysed every week in the future though which would get ******* annoying.

Doubt we’d ever do that though.

Yeah, I reckon it would be too embarrassing for us if he ended up a gun. It would have to be two separate deals just incase.

I don't trust out club to do much right but I am 100% confident that this stupid trade isn't being considered.

As you can probably guess, I love to watch a Power Forward in full flight. Tom Hawkins back half of this season proved just how influential a key forward can be on games. Hawkins was much maligned in his early days, similar to Paddy. If you compare their goal kicking at the same stage of their careers it looks like this;
McCartin: 35 games, 70 scoring shots (34 goals 36 points)
Hawkins: 35 games, 73 scoring shots (47 goals 26 points)
It should be factored in that Hawkins was playing in a top team (2007, 2008, 2009)
On scoring shots alone, Paddy is on a similar trajectory, but I'm still not sure if Paddy will be the player we all hope he will be. He is clumsy (seems to invent new ways to injure himself) and if he is not marking the ball he seems to have very little impact at ground level. I have watched him closely whenever he was playing at Sandy and the potential is certainly there, but as the saying goes "potential is nothing if you don't do anything with it"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back