Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What a result!!

Bombers have smashed two trade periods in a row. Dodo is ascendent. Shiel is an amazing get.

I ******* adore the hawthorn and Carlton supporters all trying desperately to convince themselves pick 9 + pick 14-18 for Shiel and a second rounder next year is somehow overpaying.

Outstanding result. Good business

Adrian looked as flat as a tack after the deal. Publicly admitted defeat to Jason McCartney.....yes that's right Jason McCartney.

I fear we may have reached peak Dodo.

It was terrible to see the mighty so humbled.

I left my jacket out on the porch tonight as a mark of respect for his services to entertainment over 14 years.

Adrian looked as flat as a tack after the deal. Publicly admitted defeat to Jason McCartney.....yes that's right Jason McCartney.

I left my jacket out on the porch tonight as a mark of respect for his services to entertainment over 14 years.

E0DC9B84-93CB-4AD7-9D6F-7099574C7496.gif
#bluemour has it you guys picked up McGov Jr and another bag of spuds in this years trade period.

Can’t wait to see how you guys ruin another number 1 pick , looks like you already mentally cooked weitering

It was what Dodora promised to outbid the competition
I think one of the interesting things to emerge from the trade period was the movement of the elite talent Lynch, Shiel and May. At one stage over the last 20 odd months, all 3 of these were locks to go to the Hawks (mind you that’s based your self appointed ITKs). All three ended up rejecting the Hawks due to finding better lists and the perceived higher probability of future success elsewhere. It seems that even Scully's first choice was the Bombers. Maybe the chat with Clarko followed by looking at the trophy cabinet may not cut it anymore? The loss of Russell and how you go rehabilitating Scully and managing O’Meara’s on going issues could go either way.

Last edited:
But those Hawks ITK BS artists still won’t believe that the Hawks was his third choice.

I don't think it matters whether they were wrong or Shiel changed his mind late, as I think both clubs would be very happy with how things turned out. Shiel would have been good for us, but he's a slightly better match for you, as we already have two very capable inside mids, but are lacking in class in our midfield rotation depth, and Wingard will help with that. We also need to replace Rioli and soon Poppy, so while Shiel would have been nice, and also helped with midfield class, Wingard ticks a few more boxes in our must-haves than Shiel would have. Shiel also ticks more must-have boxes for you guys than Wingard would have, so both sets of fans should be happy with the outcome irrespective of how it came about. There is no way we could have got Wingard if we paid the price you guys did. I don't think it is overs for Shiel - looks about par for a player of his quality. We probably paid slightly overs for Wingard, but only if Burton returns to his 2017 form. Based on 2018, it was probably about right, but too early to properly assess Burton's long term value.

It’s about his value, he has elite parts to his game but far more deficits. Maybe you guys can turn him around

Anyway Dons Sheil is a good get congratulations but **** me dodo doesn’t help your rep sometimes :)

Topline theatre as always from the great man. Thought his post-trade media performance did lack a little sparkle, though.
Nitpicking, to be fair, Dodo already had the Trade Week Norm Smith and Gold Logie double in the bag by three quarter time.
Par for the course for the mayor of Keilor East.
I have no idea why I just wrote this.

So Essendon lose when we pick up a gun player and Carlton win when they pick up a 4th tall forward? Well I guess when you set the bar so low, you're bound to stumble over it. I just hope that someone has told McGovern that he may actually have to play on someone taller than 185 cm when he plays at Carlton.

I
Anyway Dons Sheil is a good get congratulations but **** me dodo doesn’t help your rep sometimes :)

Hard to lay the blame of the drawn out trade at his feet unless we know for sure the AFL wasn't just manufacturing some drama by requesting they file late. For all we know, the deal might have been worked out before Tuesday last week. Was the perfect trade to use as the 'drama' trade because GWS probably didn't want to trade the picks they got for players due to their cap issues, so there was no real urgency from their point of view.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think one of the interesting things to emerge from the trade period was the movement of the elite talent Lynch, Shiel and May. At one stage over the last 20 odd months, all 3 of these were locks to go to the Hawks (mind you that’s based your self appointed ITKs). All three ended up rejecting the Hawks due to finding better lists and the perceived higher probability of future success elsewhere. It seems that even Scully's first choice was the Bombers. Maybe the chat with Clarko followed by looking at the trophy cabinet may not cut it anymore? The loss of Russell and how you go rehabilitating Scully and managing O’Meara’s on going issues could go either way.

October Premiership. Lynch and May didnt even have Essendon on the radar

Jeez if Hawks fans think 2 firsts for an elite mid and a second is overpaying I shudder to imagine what they think about giving up a first, second and gun kid for a decent half forward flanker.

GW should probably stay indoors the next few days.

So Essendon lose when we pick up a gun player and Carlton win when they pick up a 4th tall forward? Well I guess when you set the bar so low, you're bound to stumble over it. I just hope that someone has told McGovern that he may actually have to play on someone taller than 185 cm when he plays at Carlton.
Sooner or later he’ll crumble under the burden/ just like poor old Weitering.

Jeez if Hawks fans think 2 firsts for an elite mid and a second is overpaying I shudder to imagine what they think about giving up a first, second and gun kid for a decent half forward flanker.

GW should probably stay indoors the next few days.
The Hawks could have picked Colyer as a half forward flanker for a future 4th rounder.
At least Trav likes his footy unlike Chad who has admitted the game means nothing to him.

Not quite sure how we overpaid when you consider the prices paid for Wingard, Beams and Neale. Plus what was paid for Treloar, Lever etc.

Bigger shock was Hawks giving away a first and a big bodied near rising star for Wingard who was putrid second half of the season.

I don't think it matters whether they were wrong or Shiel changed his mind late, as I think both clubs would be very happy with how things turned out. Shiel would have been good for us, but he's a slightly better match for you, as we already have two very capable inside mids, but are lacking in class in our midfield rotation depth, and Wingard will help with that. We also need to replace Rioli and soon Poppy, so while Shiel would have been nice, and also helped with midfield class, Wingard ticks a few more boxes in our must-haves than Shiel would have. Shiel also ticks more must-have boxes for you guys than Wingard would have, so both sets of fans should be happy with the outcome irrespective of how it came about. There is no way we could have got Wingard if we paid the price you guys did. I don't think it is overs for Shiel - looks about par for a player of his quality. We probably paid slightly overs for Wingard, but only if Burton returns to his 2017 form. Based on 2018, it was probably about right, but too early to properly assess Burton's long term value.
We are in different places

You guys have an established winning culture that might be able to get the best out of Wingard whereas we are building a culture of high performance, we can’t afford to bring in blokes that won’t buy in

Shiel joins a core group of 20-25 year olds at the club who are all elite in their preparation

Back