Glenn Maxwell and his future

Remove this Banner Ad

I just want to know what the selectors are looking at.

When we go overseas, are they looking at players who may not be doing that well over here but might do well over there?

I look at some of our leg spinners and they aren't big turners of the ball but they can land them and bowl a wrong-un etc and they might not be the best on our pitches but I think they really should be playing them on turning wickets with the off spinner, instead we are obsessed with left arm finger spin and that's never produced a lot for us but we continue to fail to learn. Ahmed, who should have played every time we toured, was killing it in state cricket was overlooked. He should have played for Australia every time we played on turning wickets but he's never played.

Glenn Maxwell hits a test century in india, had some decent state performances and is a handy part time bowler and excellent fielder yet was dropped because the powers at be don't like him. Forget what they say, it's not about form they just do not like him. Steve Smith doesn't like him and Smith is a part of the Cricket Australia problem. A big part and that's why he isn't playing at the moment. Clearly the problems are still there. I'd be confident in suggesting Langer is a part of it too. I don't think you could get a gig in Australian Cricket if you weren't the way it is.

Players are picked on personality and not ability, selectors fail to learn, we select players based on how we feel about them personally and that's a sign that the inner sanctum of Australian cricket is f***ed.

This is professional international sport and we have people in charge who are selecting players based on their personal opinions of them and not their ability or form. To me it's a bunch of blokes who want to travel and play cricket with blokes they like and get paid well to do so. Something to think about here.

If this was an AFL club behaving like this there would be hell to pay. Fans and those backing the club wouldn't have it.

You won't see an internal review because they are too scared because most of them would get cleaned out.

Can we ever see a Cricket Australia where guys can get selected purely on cricket ability and form? I doubt it. Can we get a selection committee that is smart enough to identify players who will perform in different conditions? No sign of that happening.

Australian Cricket needs a change of attitude, culture and the inner sanctums breaking up so that it can get going again. It needs to fix things up at state and under age level so that batsmen can come in developed mentally and technically to perform in test cricket.

Fast bowling injury management needs to be recognised as a failure and something else needs to be tried.

The whole Glenn Maxwell not being selected is just one of the signs that there is a very big problem within Cricket Australia.

I look at some of our leg spinners and they aren't big turners of the ball but they can land them and bowl a wrong-un etc and they might not be the best on our pitches but I think they really should be playing them on turning wickets with the off spinner, instead we are obsessed with left arm finger spin and that's never produced a lot for us but we continue to fail to learn. Ahmed, who should have played every time we toured, was killing it in state cricket was overlooked. He should have played for Australia every time we played on turning wickets but he's never played.
You mean other than single-handedly win us our only test win in India for 10 years?

You mean other than single-handedly win us our only test win in India for 10 years?
Not to mention the fact that Agar last year in Bangladesh took 7 wickets at an average of 23

Another failure for Maxwell today. 9 of 15 in the JLT final. In all bar 1 game below where he batted and bowled, he went for more runs with the ball than he made with the bat... and he doesn't bowl many overs. Is this really the way to force your way into the Australian team? He needs to make more runs and I'd love to see him in the Aus ODI and test team. In saying that he is a great T20I player.

upload_2018-10-10_13-12-22.png

Last edited:
Food for thought. First class averages.

Maxwell
Bat - 41.07
Ball - 44.18
Would bowl in UAE as he's a spin all-rounder. Hasn't torn the comp apart with his batting but probably deserves to at least be in the squad.

S Marsh
Bat - 40.52
Ball - 77.50
Admittedly bats higher. Failed with the bat V Pakistan.

M Marsh
Bat - 31.97
Ball - 30.54
Hardly bowls in the sub continent. Failed with the bat V Pakistan.

Labuschagne
Bat - 33.83
Ball - 52.64
I like his bowling over there and just proves that we need to ignore spin bowling records in Australia and just take a leggie when we travel to spinning wickets. Picked as a batsmen with a really low average and has not made runs. We seem to still be rating and comparing leg spinners to Warne and MacGill while just picking whoever is the best performing left arm orthodox spinner every time.

I think it just goes to show if you are liked and in the club then you're half in the team and if you're not then you pretty much have to be an absolute superstar.

You can’t really say they just pick the best left armer, it’s because the left armers are the best spinners in the shield. No one can complain about picking Holland then try and say they need to look at form and averages when picking batsmen...
nah we should be taking a spinner who gets spanked in the shield instead of one of the best performers in the shield. that’ll end well

You can’t really say they just pick the best left armer, it’s because the left armers are the best spinners in the shield. No one can complain about picking Holland then try and say they need to look at form and averages when picking batsmen...

I think this is the problem, spin bowlers who are good in Australia are not necessarily on the sub continent. Bowling spin on wickets that turn are a bit slower and a bit less bounce is a lot different to bowling spin on wickets that don't turn a lot, are quicker and bouncier.

It's a different game over there, I think form and averages are a better observation as well as ability to play spin when picking a side to tour on spinning wickets. I think it's less important with spin bowlers. A good batsman is usually good on most wickets. Spinners not so much.

Fawad Ahmed was the Sheffield shield leading bowler in the 2014-15 season, outstanding stats. Doesn't mean he ever got a look in.

I think this is the problem, spin bowlers who are good in Australia are not necessarily on the sub continent. Bowling spin on wickets that turn are a bit slower and a bit less bounce is a lot different to bowling spin on wickets that don't turn a lot, are quicker and bouncier.

also because our spinners are taught to bowl more 'traditional' so the ball travels through the air/lands consistently a certain way, compared to the home country spinners.

and Happy Birthday to Maxwell. turned 30 today.

What he needs to do is tell the ACB to get ****** and then announce his international retirement from the shorter forms of the game until they promise to select him for the test team. In the mean time make a ton of runs in the Sheffield Shield and make packets of money in the IPL. When the ACB come crawling back tell them that he only announce availability if he can field in gully and bat at no 5.

^^This. Needed to withdraw himself from the UAE T20 consideration to get back the red ball cricket the selectors robbed him of. They've screwed him enough times now that there's no point trying to please them, he should just start doing what's best for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^This. Needed to withdraw himself from the UAE T20 consideration to get back the red ball cricket the selectors robbed him of. They've screwed him enough times now that there's no point trying to please them, he should just start doing what's best for him.
Exactly. How can he make runs with the red ball if he's continually on call for the circus? Then they turn around and say we can't select you because you haven't made enough centuries, so we'll pick the Marshes. :mad:

He is not in the position to withdraw himself from Australian selection, it is not allowed. It is up to ACB to decide if Maxwell would be better off playing red ball cricket, players cannot pick and choose when they play for Australia.

Langer is saying that Shaun Marsh will be selected for ODIs over Shield games. Obviously our priorities are all over the shop (due to scheduling).
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...ield-shield-test-preperation-marsh/2018-10-20
Wrong way around - scheduling is all over the shop due to priorities being muddled.

We have a World Cup not far away and the side is far from settled so I get that there is incentive to sort that out.

But we also have a test series so we should have those players playing shield cricket.

It's all a bit aimless, let's just do whatever comes up without putting it into any context. But that's cricket at all levels these days, isn't it?

Food for thought. First class averages.

Maxwell
Bat - 41.07
Ball - 44.18
Would bowl in UAE as he's a spin all-rounder. Hasn't torn the comp apart with his batting but probably deserves to at least be in the squad.

S Marsh
Bat - 40.52
Ball - 77.50
Admittedly bats higher. Failed with the bat V Pakistan.

M Marsh
Bat - 31.97
Ball - 30.54
Hardly bowls in the sub continent. Failed with the bat V Pakistan.

Labuschagne
Bat - 33.83
Ball - 52.64
I like his bowling over there and just proves that we need to ignore spin bowling records in Australia and just take a leggie when we travel to spinning wickets. Picked as a batsmen with a really low average and has not made runs. We seem to still be rating and comparing leg spinners to Warne and MacGill while just picking whoever is the best performing left arm orthodox spinner every time.

I think it just goes to show if you are liked and in the club then you're half in the team and if you're not then you pretty much have to be an absolute superstar.

What about test averages?

Maxwell 26
S Marsh 36. Just food for thought

You mention Pakistan. Who’s to say maxwell wouldn’t have failed in Pakistan like he has in most places to average 26. And the next series is in Australia.... how did the Marsh’s go last summer in Australia?
Mitch averaged 107
Sean averaged 74....... oh but let’s drop them for Maxwell for this summer.....

Maxwell is a good short form player and plays the reverse sweep really well. But FFS people he’s not a test batsman’s boot lace. And I agree the Marsh’s have not performed either but FFs Maxwell is not the answer.

Last edited:
I just want to know what the selectors are looking at.

When we go overseas, are they looking at players who may not be doing that well over here but might do well over there?

Glenn Maxwell hits a test century in india, had some decent state performances and is a handy part time bowler and excellent fielder yet was dropped because the powers at be don't like him. Forget what they say, it's not about form they just do not like him. Steve Smith doesn't like him and Smith is a part of the Cricket Australia problem. A big part and that's why he isn't playing at the moment. Clearly the problems are still there. I'd be confident in suggesting Langer is a part of it too. I don't think you could get a gig in Australian Cricket if you weren't the way it is.

Players are picked on personality and not ability, selectors fail to learn, we select players based on how we feel about them personally and that's a sign that the inner sanctum of Australian cricket is f***ed.

This is professional international sport and we have people in charge who are selecting players based on their personal opinions of them and not their ability or form. To me it's a bunch of blokes who want to travel and play cricket with blokes they like and get paid well to do so. Something to think about here.

If this was an AFL club behaving like this there would be hell to pay. Fans and those backing the club wouldn't have it.

You won't see an internal review because they are too scared because most of them would get cleaned out.

Can we ever see a Cricket Australia where guys can get selected purely on cricket ability and form? I doubt it. Can we get a selection committee that is smart enough to identify players who will perform in different conditions? No sign of that happening.

Australian Cricket needs a change of attitude, culture and the inner sanctums breaking up so that it can get going again. It needs to fix things up at state and under age level so that batsmen can come in developed mentally and technically to perform in test cricket.

Fast bowling injury management needs to be recognised as a failure and something else needs to be tried.

The whole Glenn Maxwell not being selected is just one of the signs that there is a very big problem within Cricket Australia.

I guess you’re didn’t want to post any of his stats because they are pretty s**t.

Just a reminder, test average of 26

But hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story.

I guess you’re didn’t want to post any of his stats because they are pretty s**t.

Just a reminder, test average of 26

But hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story.
Last four tests: 259 runs at 37. Had a higher average than all bar Smith in the last tour of India. Let's just use stats that don't reflect his more recent test record.

Last four tests: 259 runs at 37. Had a higher average than all bar Smith in the last tour of India. Let's just use stats that don't reflect his more recent test record.

You strategically pick his best ever 4 test periods and he still only averages 37.... hilarious.
So you want recent do you? Sean Marsh’s last 2 innings in Australia, 80 & 98.

Tell me about Maxwells technique and why he would be a good test player? Is it his premeditation of shots? What about his ‘nit’ soft hands? What about his ability to graft an innings against top quality bowling. What about his ability to run out team mates like the series just gone v Pakistan. Even his 40 odd versus Pakistan’s he was dropped 3 times.
This Victorian love affair for Maxwell as a test player is just so bloody hilarious. And I’ll repeat what I said, the Marsh’s have not performed as we’d all would have liked but they are a s**t load better than Maxwell for tests and they DID perform last summer versus the poms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back