Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He did?

Seems to me he was damn near booted from Port.

In addition, Hawthorn reeked of desperation after Lynch and Shiel both chose teams in better shape to go to.
He he. Ok. I’ll give you Lynch by the way. Never since Buddy has a marque forward goofed up. I feel for him

But Shiel? We walked. Dodo overbid, tried to backpaddle, we take Scully as a salary dump to help the Giants play hardball. Dodo backbackpedals and pays what we were never going to pay. It was sweet

We leave with a known match winner and Shiel and Essendon are both left left with sloppy seconds

Best trade period ever

Last edited:
Let me ask you a question, do you reckon you could list a similar list of players for another club? I'll do Essendon, purely from a position of familiarity, using your exact words and just replacing names (and the Brownlow reference obviously) - but I'd invite you to do the same for any number of sides.

"Shiel moved across this year - Stringer, Fantasia and Daniher are extremely dangerous forwards. Saad and Hurley down back are guns. Merrett and McGrath could be the best wing combos in the comp if they get McGrath going. They beat the Eagles this year, eventual premiers, at home, and did it easy."

My point here is, just about any side could be manipulated to make a list of 7-8 players that are of course impressive - most teams have them.

The difference is, most decent lists can fill that out substantially. What do they have beyond the names you've mentioned - and I'm not talking hopes and dreams, but actual players?

Burgoyne? Absolutely. Unquestionably. But he's 34.

JOM? Yeah ok, but Heppell shits all over him. Forget JOM's wicked guns, and the Shortsteppell Schtick; Heppell is a FAR superior player on output.

Shiels? Yeah, can play. Is he any better than Zaharakis. I mean, really? I pick Zaharakis deliberately too - what is he, sixth, maybe seventh in line in our midfield now?

Who else? Impey? Ok sure. McEvoy? Well ok, yeah. Henderson? Sure, starting to struggle a bit now for players.

Hooker, McKenna, Walla, Smith, Bellchambers - these are players that have unquestionably performed at a high level already, and with the exception of Bellchambers (due to teams playing a single ruck) would almost certainly walk in to the best 22 of any side in the game.

Then you go to the blokes that look like they have long careers ahead of them, not based on hopes and dreams but actually putting games together in Langford, Parish, Gleeson, Redman, Guelfi - and my personal favourite, Aaron Francis, who looks like he's about to embarrass both SA sides.

Not sure where to put Myers - can obviously play, but injuries, ya know...

Then getting in to the speculative, but if you'd watched closely look the goods - BZT, Ridley, Begley, Draper (seriously, keep your eyes peeled, this bloke will be a gun).

The Hawks simply DO NOT have that.

Now for clarity sake, this isn't a big swinging dick Essendon post (though I did enjoy typing it) - I'd actually love to see you do a North one, because it's the same. It's to illustrate the reason I think Hawthorn's list is crap, and why Shiel chose Essendon (and even Carlton) over the Hawks.
And yet we beat you twice last year....how is it possible?

He he. Ok. I’ll give you Lynch by the way. Never since Buddy has a marque forward goofed up. I feel for him

But Shiel? We walked. Dodo overbid, tried to backpaddle, we take Scully as a salary dump to help the Giants play hardball. Dodo backbackpedals and pays what we were never going to pay. It was sweet

We leave with a known match winner and Shiel and Essendon are both left left with sloppy seconds

Best trade period ever

Yeah that’s why Shiel had to call Hawthorn and tell them he was rejecting their offer.

Amazing how fragile Hawthorn fans are.

No. Hawks finished top four and beat you twice.

You guys didn’t make finals.

You talk up your list and talk down Hawthorn’s list every pre-season and then you walk with the tail between your legs for most of the year.

I like it

Hawks didn’t finish top four. Might want to check that.

We were never going to pay DoDo’s price for Shiel

You know it

No, what I know is what has been widely reported.

I don’t get so broken up that I need to desperately cling to the fantasy that I’m the dumper, not the dumpee.

Shiel called Hawthorn to reject their offer. That is logically incompatible with the pathetic bleating of Hawthorn fans wanting to believe they walked away.

Shiel rejected the Hawks because they are an unattractive destination, due to the poor quality of its list.

Hawks didn’t finish top four. Might want to check that.
End of the season proper - yes.

Semantics won’t help you. Your team failed last year in spite of getting “prized recruits”. Bomber supporters were all up and about over the recruits - just like they are with Sloppy Seconds Shiel

You even lost to Carlton.

Game against arch rivals to get into finals ....couldn’t match us. Fluffed it

It was a sweet year

No, what I know is what has been widely reported.

I don’t get so broken up that I need to desperately cling to the fantasy that I’m the dumper, not the dumpee.

Shiel called Hawthorn to reject their offer. That is logically incompatible with the pathetic bleating of Hawthorn fans wanting to believe they walked away.

Shiel rejected the Hawks because they are an unattractive destination, due to the poor quality of its list.
So you think Hawthorn was going to pay two first rounders and miss out on Wingard?

Okes

So you think Hawthorn was going to pay two first rounders and miss out on Wingard?

Okes

Hawks would have paid anything they could to get Shiel; a far more highly valued commodity than Wingard.

Unfortunately for your guys, Shiel didn’t want to downgrade, and chose to go to a side with a greater chance of success.

Hawks would have paid anything they could to get Shiel; a far more highly valued commodity than Wingard.

Unfortunately for your guys, Shiel didn’t want to downgrade, and chose to go to a side with a greater chance of success.
Sure...you believe what you want Jade.

Can’t wait to see Wingard tear it up and you swallow your own words ...like you do every year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contemporary history would suggest the 21st century commenced post 1991 and we know Hawks like rabbiting on about the number of flags won in the modern era in a futile attempt to denigrate the value of flags won by the red and black empire.
What about legitimate flags, there was clear salary cap rorting going on with the Dons last one and that was ages ago, it appears the Dons havent adapted well to the Modern era of salary cap restricitions.
Luckily the off salary cap, pay outs for the drug cheating have given them another little window of AFL sanctioned, salary cap cheating.
Lets see if it helps while its there

What about legitimate flags, there was clear salary cap rorting going on with the Dons last one and that was ages ago, it appears the Dons havent adapted well to the Modern era of salary cap restricitions.
Luckily the off salary cap, pay outs for the drug cheating have given them another little window of AFL sanctioned, salary cap cheating.
Lets see if it helps while its there
Didn't take long for the supplements saga to enter the discussion, especially from a Hawk.
No doubt, this is the point in the timeline that Hawks knew would eventually come, and have been dreading.

Do Hawthorn fans seriously think their was a significant difference between what Essendon gave up for Shiel and Hawthorn gave up for Wingard?

- Pick 11 and a 2019 first for Shiel and a 2019 second

- Burton, pick 18, pick 35 and a 2019 4th rounder for Wingard and a 2019 3rd rounder.

I don't see how either set of supporters could claim another paid overs.

Sure...you believe what you want Jade.

Can’t wait to see Wingard tear it up and you swallow your own words ...like you do every year

Really? The last time I was supposed to ‘swallow my words’ four Hawks fans lost bets to me. Precisely because they couldn’t listen, and were blind to the substandard quality of Hawthorn’s list.

Didn't take long for the supplements saga to enter the discussion, especially from a Hawk.
No doubt, this is the point in the timeline that Hawks knew would eventually come, and have been dreading.
Nice deflection from facts
I never mentioned "supplements" just clever exploitation of the salary cap.
Although the Dons are able to "supplement" salaries with off the record pay out for their wrong doings

AFL ticked off on it, its just "good governance" by the Dons to try and use it to buy some much need success

Do Hawthorn fans seriously think their was a significant difference between what Essendon gave up for Shiel and Hawthorn gave up for Wingard?

- Pick 11 and a 2019 first for Shiel and a 2019 second

- Burton, pick 18, pick 35 and a 2019 4th rounder for Wingard and a 2019 3rd rounder.

I don't see how either set of supporters could claim another paid overs.
Quite conceivably, Shiel may cost Essendon pick 11 in 2018, a pick between 15-18 in 2019, with a 2019 second round pick from GWS coming back.
Unders.

and to quote AFL.com.au "Sold the farm for Wingard, including fan favourite Burton and this year's first-round pick.

Throw in the fact they let Mozzie and Gown slip through, the Hawks and Clarko have stuffed it all up.

Last edited:
Although the Dons are able to "supplement" salaries with off the record pay out for their wrong doings

AFL ticked off on it, its just "good governance" by the Dons to try and use it to buy some much need success

Our team hasn’t won a final in a decade plus should be over the cap. Good one mate pull the other one.

Congratulations, you know nothing of how the compensation payments work - would you like me to explain them to you, so you can see how absurd your little fantasy is?

Back